Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
A good day for hat comments.:D
We took my Dad and stepmom to lunch at a 50's diner before they flew back to Hong Kong and me and my 4 year old wore our fedoras as usual. Me a tan Johnnyphi Schoble and him his Indy hat. As we were eating an older man asked me who was the detective and who was the reporter? I laughed and replied that my son is depending on the day. He told me how rare it is to see fedoras these days and we talked back and forth for a bit. He finished by saying it was sure a testiment of the type of father I am that my son chooses to copy my attire. I thanked him. Oh and the burger, fries, and shakes were great too:D

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Portland, OR. Brewer's Festival...

The previous weekend we were up in Portland, OR. and decided to hit the Brewer's Festival. One of the lady pourers there commented that I was a tad over dressed, but really appreciated a well dressed man no matter what the occasion. I told her thank you and that I like being well dresses for any occasion, because you never know where one might end up.
It was the warm & fuzzy of the day (and not because of the beer ;) ).

Cheers!

Dan

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Well -and it's the truth- the nicest comment I've ever hat came from my wife:

"tu es très élégant" (very light brown/cream Stetson 20 OR style hat on safari-sand shirt and trousers).

and...at another time... "j'aime beaucoup ton Panama" (thanks, PB).

Mind you, (unless my self-perception is all screwed up), I'm not particularly known for elegance (I like to wear jeans, cowboy shirts and like hats - these boots hurt my feet, though :rage: ).

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Doran said:
I almost went to that.

It was a load of fun! In each beer tent every few minutes the would do the vocal equivalent of the wave. Most were dressed like they just woke up but there were a handful of us that were actually dressed well, and only a couple of them wearing hats. :) It's a start though.

Cheers!

Dan

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Another nice Bronx comment

I went to the PO Monday evening to pick up my new boater (pics later), and decided to walk home along the Park (Bronx Park). It's a gorgeous stretch, just as nice as the edges of Central Park or Prospect Park. At the top end of the park there are still a few single family homes, some with verandas. As I passed a house with a big family hanging out on their porch, the littlest one shouts "HI!" at me, in a big friendly voice. Then one of the other kids, a maybe 11 year old girl, shouts "I LOVE your HAT!!!"
Made me smile.

ADHD librarian

One of the Regulars
had a couple this week

I've had a couple of people make comments this week.
Firstly a slightly intoxicated woman shouted out "hat man, don't listen to averyone. You've got style you're sexy hat man"

which amused me no end.

Then I was out at yum cha yesterday and a man came up to me to ask about my hat, the style and were I got it because he wanted to buy one himself. (I was wearing my grey stylemaster)
(he apparently already has a couple of country style Akubras, but didn't know Akubras made fedoras. He was actually planning on a cheep wool felt but changed his mind and decided he was off to the hatters for a stylemaster).

funneman

Practically Family
ADHD Librarian!

I love your handle.

I just bought an ADHD-TV. The resolution is amazing, but it keeps changing channels ever thirty seconds! :D

donCarlos

Practically Family
May be slightly offtopic, but I meet hundreds of tourists in my work every day and each time I see someone wearing a nice fedora style hat (mostly panamas these days) I come closer and say "You´ve got a very nice hat sir!".
I hope it even improves their experience in Prague...

ShesSoVaVaVoom

One of the Regulars
my mom told me I looked cute. :) she's awesome.

got a compliment from my grandfather quite some time ago that I thought was kind of funny, he's a lovable grump lol. I was wearing a skirt and heels and he said:

"you know, when I used to work down at the colleges and I'd see those dames wearing their short skirts and heels, I couldn't stand to look at the ones with fat ankles. You're lucky you don't have fat ankles".

thank you grammpa, lol I guess I am glad I wasn't blessed with cankles!

funneman

Practically Family
Had to share this with you!

My nine-year old son left for school today wearing his chocolate brown Steven B. Stetson stingy. I was a little worried about him getting in to a confrontation with someone in authority about it but I left him alone and let him wear it.

He told me later at home that he took it off as soon as he got to class, put it in his backpack
and left it there until he got on the bus for home. Once on the bus he took it out and put it on.
Then he says "..and when I got off the bus, the driver said 'nice hat'"!;)
untitled1-5-1.jpg

LordBest

Practically Family
Not exactly a comment, but flattering. Yesterday I bought a lovely new stetson trilby/fedora (honestly I am not quite sure which it is supposed to be, I am going with trilby). Nothing too special, but nice colour and felt. Anyway, this morning I had just emerged from a jewellers when a young chap on a bicycle rode past, looked at my hat with his mouth open, exclaimed "Wow!" and promptly rode into a street lamp. He was not injured.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
As I strolled through a store, the other day, a woman remarked, "You look like that guy on THE UNTOUCHABLES." I was trying to figure out if she meant Robert Stack or Kevin Kostner, when she said, "Good looking guy!" :D

carldelo

One Too Many
J.T.Marcus said:
As I strolled through a store, the other day, a woman remarked, "You look like that guy on THE UNTOUCHABLES." I was trying to figure out if she meant Robert Stack or Kevin Kostner, when she said, "Good looking guy!" :D

If it's dealer's choice, then I'd go ahead and assume she meant Sean Connery. Not that I look like him, mind you, but he IS much cooler than the other two.

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

I was waiting in line at the post office one winter afternoon. The line moved about as quickly as the mail, so a crowd gathered. When I finally got to the counter, Borsalino in hand, the clerk smiled.
"I've been looking at that hat," she said. "It sure is good to see a well-dressed man."

At The Races

metropd said:
I was in the race track bathroom at the turf club. I just adjusted my hat infront of the mirror and man walks in behind me in a white linen jacket and a Hermes watch says "you look like a made man."
At the county fair race track, visiting a pal in the front side office, wearing a Magnoli Nassau suit with vest from the Gittes suit & Stetson straw "center dent" covering Layrite hair, a trainer told another chap "...don't fool with me, this guy is watching my back...", and turned to smile.
Also heard, as I did the next day in Magnoli pre-war jeans, gabardine bus man's jacket, Gittes linen vest, vintage plaid tie w/collar bar & gray "DeSind" beat-up fedora, "...you must be from back east...".

I ate up every double take from strangers and the girls they were with. 99.9% of males there wore the "dumba*s" look: Backwards ballcap, baggy shorts and baggy sports jersey, "tennis" shoes (not even honest-to-God B&W Converse all-stars) with socks pulled up the shins. Ugh.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Imitation be damned!
Self-inflicted injury due to gawking is the sincerest form of flattery. lol

LordBest said:
Not exactly a comment, but flattering. Yesterday I bought a lovely new stetson trilby/fedora (honestly I am not quite sure which it is supposed to be, I am going with trilby). Nothing too special, but nice colour and felt. Anyway, this morning I had just emerged from a jewellers when a young chap on a bicycle rode past, looked at my hat with his mouth open, exclaimed "Wow!" and promptly rode into a street lamp. He was not injured.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters