Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think that what women like to a large degree is the differentiation in dressing in the sexes. From the 1960s we've had a lot of unisex styles, from trench coats to jeans to glasses. After years of that, I think women like to see men wearing what men can wear if the style is good, so they can wear what women wear, and hopefully they're different. It's that grown-up-adult factor differentiated by gender that I think they now respond to.

amador

A-List Customer
My Wife and I were mall walking yesterday and she was making a comment about my hat and how I needed to just "get that hat off and just be normal". Almost immediately a passing lady complemented my hat. Wife said "don't encourage him!". Hat stayed on.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
My Wife and I were mall walking yesterday and she was making a comment about my hat and how I needed to just "get that hat off and just be normal". Almost immediately a passing lady complemented my hat. Wife said "don't encourage him!". Hat stayed on.

Ha ha! You rock that hat, sir! well done.

Detective_Noir

One of the Regulars
i get comments whenever i walk out through the park or just going to a restaurant to eat. i mainly get these comments from the older generations as they recall memories of when they dressed like that. on the other hand the kids today are more fitted to the new era nine fifty flat billed base ball caps so they always say its stupid looking... but there are kids that say i look like i came straight out of a Golden Era Film in a complementing way. i have no problem with the new eras style in clothing but the one thing i care about the most is proper etiquette which is removing the hat whenever you enter a home or building, greeting someone or meeting with friends (Most Importantly if its a woman accompanying you).

Last edited:

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I probably wouldn't mind being called indy if I went out wearing a brown fedora and a brown leather jacket, or even if I had a brown fedora and some kind of tan adventurer shirt and khakis on or something, but sometimes you really wonder if these people have ever even SEEN indiana jones, as their only knowledge of him seems to be that he wore some kind of hat...

fathergoose

New in Town
Hello, all. Visiting an antique store specializing in late Victorian and Edwardian furniture. This is small town Japan, mind. The owner pulls a classic double take, hurriedly ransacks his high school English and proclaims, "You..are..are...are..dapper today!" I ended up buying a chair. Nice one, too. Seashell design. *Other than that, a friend sometimes refers to me as either Indiana Holmes or Sherlock Jones, depending on whether I'm wearing a sack coat and a fedora or a leather jacket and khakis. *Not sure if that's a compliment or not. It is clever, though.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Some here might find it offensive, but someone nicknamed me cowboy (and "The Man With No Name") while I was wearing a Stetson Open Road (modern), Levi's, desert boots, and a railroad stripe work shirt. I identify quite a bit with the cowboy image even if I may be a city slicker (or an "Urban Cowboy?"), so I'll accept it as a badge of honor. Even when I was a little kid, I dressed sort of western looking; tan felt cowboy hat (it used to have feathers around the crown), jeans, and at one point cowboy boots. I stopped dressing this way regularly around age 11, but I never left my interest in things western behind.

Anyway, my fedoras don't actually give me cowboy comments that much, although my Indy styled Akubra Fed IV did a little. My light grey and black ribbon Stetson usually gives off more of a noir detective or gangster vibe based off of some comments I've heard about it, but mostly just sharp hat. Almost all remarks are positive, people seem to think hats are cool if they've got anything to say at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy