Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

You know.... that guy.

This one?:
6a0120a85dcdae970b0128776facca970c-pi

:rofl:

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
At the grocery store, yesterday

As I left the grocery yesterday evening, wearing my dark gray '60s Borsalino and my long black topcoat, I passed three young black men talking. One called out to me, "Like the hat, bruh!"

I grinned and nodded back, and he added, "Mobster style, huh?"

The hat and coat, and dress slacks and shoes, did make me look a little like a crime figure out of "The Untouchables," I guess.

Last edited:

this one guy

Familiar Face
I was walking along a road wearing my black pea coat and grey fedora with black ribbon when a man coming the other way said "good afternoon, reverend".
...I think he meant it... I smiled, nodded my head and told him to have a nice day.

Landman

One Too Many
I received a very nice compliment yesterday I thought I'd report. My mother is 85 years old and can't drive anymore so whenever she needs to go somewhere I will take her. Every so often I take her to the beauty parlor to get her hair done. This is a big outing for her and she really looks forward to it. I'm always the only guy in there and usually just sit in the corner and read the paper or a magazine.

Yesterday I was wearing a beautiful hat with a teardrop crease that Art Fawcett made me and a tweed jacket over a white shirt, jeans and boots. One of the hairstylist I didn't know made a point to come over and tell me that she has seen me in here many times and was always impressed with the way I dressed. I thanked her, laughed and said I practically wear the same thing everyday, jeans and boots. She said it always looks great though and the hats really make the difference. Then one of the other stylists said she wished men would start wearing nice hats again and how she hated baseball caps. That set off a discussion about men's hats between all the women in there and the consensus was they all liked men wearing nice hats. Most all of the hairstylists were probably in their 20's or 30's. I was really surprised because of their age that they all appreciated vintage style hats as much as they did.

Based on the compliments I get from younger people I believe nice hats are coming back into style. I have nothing against a nice ball cap worn properly and I wear one quite a bit myself but when I see them turned sideways or backwards I have a different reaction.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As I left the grocery yesterday evening, wearing my dark gray '60s Borsalino and my long black topcoat, I passed three young black men talking. One called out to me, "Like the hat, bruh!"

I guess we on the Lounge are mostly white guys. Around here in the Washington, D.C. area, you can count on the black guys to give reliable comments about hats. I get comments, all (that I've heard) positive. You know why I think that is? Because many black folks are attuned to style, like style, are aficionados of style. In the case of hats, more men wearing fedora type hats is more fun, it sort of creates new style niches to take advantage of. All men like hats. I also know from past experience that they'll also sometimes tell you if what you're wearing looks bad. I don't mean to make so much contrasting white with black guys, because we're really not that different, but I think generally white guys are less attuned to style, and can use corrections from anyone to refine it. So I'm happy to get any comments from other men, so that I can benefit from them.

Last edited:

dirty old biker

Familiar Face
I thought I'd stick my pic on here as well .I live in a rural Alabama area where the trend is ball caps, I love wearing this to Wal mart or out to eat & dig the comments I get on it, I shaped this hat from a felt "Longhorn" brand old grey western hat, I drenched it with a mixture of water & brown acrylic paint and kept shaping it from the traditional western crown , til it got dry . I then proceeded to make the hatband from an old belt, adorned with conchos that had the gold accent, I had to grind them down to a smaller size to be in proportion.
100_1043.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I went to two events over the weekend, each of which elicited some interesting reactions from the hoi polloi. Saturday night I went to Michael Arenella's annual Christmas Ball, this year held at a nice place on Columbus Circle called the Stone Rose. I dressed in my vintage 1939 to 49 tux, with my vintage black fedora onmy head, and my Londn Fog trench coat. I stopped at the loacl deli to get a bouttoniere. As I stood there, a man and his nine year old son were getting flowers for their aunt, whose birthday it was. The little lad looked up at me and said, "You look like a SECRET AGENT!" He repeated this several times, which elicited smiles from his dad and me both. Then he said, "You look like a WEDDING GUY!" That one made me squirm a little. I tried to redirect the conversation back to the secret agent theme.
Sunday night I went to a bash called "Thomas Edison's Stag Party", at a former speak easy on the Lower East Side of Manhattan, in a place called The Back Room. It was originally owned by no less than Meyer Lansky. First of all, for all you Edison admirers, it had NOTHING to do with Thomas Edison. But it WAS a stag party. The entertainment was an all star review of FEEELTHY vintage blue material. I mean realllly bad stuff. But MUCH fun. Anyhow, everyone was encouraged to dress to the nines, so I said what the heck, and donned the old white tie and tails. I left my place in the early evening and hit the subway. I was wearing the white tie and tails, with a vintage opera hat, and my black Inverness cape, and carrying my furled umbrella (it was a wet evening.) Oh, boy, did I get reactions. All of them overwhelmingly positive. I got several, "Mmmm, classy" type remarks, and nods, etc. At one point some conga drummer guys got on the train and started to do their act, and one guy says, "Hey, I want that hat!". To which I said, "No way, dude!". That got a big laugh from the customers. Then a totally smashed dude sat down next to me. We had a very edifying conversation for several stops. He thought I looked nice, too. Anyhow, everywhere I went people were smiling at me like idiots. A girl on the Q train (last leg of the journey) asked to have a picture taken with me. Yoiks!
So, will I do this again? I have to say, it was immensely gratifying to get all those reactions, but by the time I reached my destination I'd had enough. Luckily I got a lift home in a good old fashioned car.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy