Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Berenice+Abbott+1938+Manhattan+Roast+corn+man.jpg

Roast corn man, Manhattan, 1938
Photographer: Berenice Abbott

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
1939 Texas

8a25863r.jpg

Is that gentleman wearing a Homburg with overalls? And in 1939, too? Kind of redefines the idea of "it was a very formal hat so it didn't get worn much." And the example is so nice and new, unlike the stereotypical "beater" hats farmers are often pictured with.

All the pix in this post were great, by the way.

Andrew

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
1939 Texas

8a25863r.jpg

Is that gentleman wearing a Homburg with overalls? And in 1939, too? Kind of redefines the idea of "it was a very formal hat so it didn't get worn much." And the example is so nice and new, unlike the stereotypical "beater" hats farmers are often pictured with.

All the pix in this post were great, by the way.

Andrew

He's actually just wearing slacks with suspenders. I've seen an example or 2 of workers wearing homburgs. Particularly a 1915 era man wearing one with a big turtle neck sweater.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
White Plains, GA 1941
great photo, great ribbon
JackDelano-SaturdayafternooninWhitePlainsGreeneCountyGeorgia1941_zps0749066e.jpg

NYC baseball game at Polo Grounds, 1910-1915
soft, hard, velour, cap, up-brim, snap-brim, back-bow, short-crown, tall-crown, wide-brim, stingy, WAR, and maybe a TAR on the photographer (I can't tell)
ReporterstelegraphersatabaseballgameatthePoloGroundsinNewYorkCity1910-1915_zps6c89a9dc.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24