Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

Original one room cabin with open tack room built in 1822 by Jacob Gromer. At some date the tack room was enclosed to make two rooms. The Robert Sallee James family acquired the cabin in 1845 & added the first addition to the east. Zeralda James sold that addition to the Worlds Colombian Expedition in Chicago in 1893, & bought a larger addition from the Sears and Roebuck Co. The World's Colombian Expedition went bankrupt & the first addition was sold again to a promoter. So pics of the homestead thru the yrs can be dated by pre-1893 & post-1893.

Pre-1893 showing the first edition

View attachment 253730

Post-1893 with Zeralda James & guests (note woman wearing what looks to be a Sugarloaf Sombrero to the left of Zeralda)

View attachment 253735

Zeralda James & guests circa 1905, approx 6 yrs before her death

View attachment 253732

Date unknown & men unidentified (post-1905 I would think)

View attachment 253736

1940's pic with Frank's son Robert & his wife Mae, possibly post-1944 after Robert's mother Annie died. Cabin is in major disrepair but Robert & Mae continued to live there. Green arrow points to the window the Pinkerton's threw the kerosene bomb thru.

View attachment 253731

At some point the cabin was in such bad shape to make it look better it was covered with clapboard siding. Mae ended up inheriting the cabin after Robert's death & donated it to the National Historic Registry in the 1960's. It wouldn't be until 1979 that it was given to the state of Missouri & a full restoration & update was started. Jesse's original grave on the farm was excavated then to see what had been left behind when his remains were moved to town in 1909.

View attachment 253733

View attachment 253734
We got to see that when we passed through MO on an out west trip about 20 years ago.

We got to see that when we passed through MO on an out west trip about 20 years ago.
What is interesting is no one can find what happened to the original addition that was purchased & dismantled by the World's Columbian Exposition in 1893. When the Exposition fell thru a promoter purchased it next and set it up as a tourist attraction in Excelsior Springs. By the time the promoter went broke Frank James had been cleared of all charges in three trials, & he bought it. By then it had worn out its attraction in Excelsior Springs so Frank soon moved it to Hot Springs, AR. When that didn't work out Frank had it disassembled & put in storeage. Frank died in 1915 & no one knows what happened to it.

When Marley Brant did all her research for her books on the James & Youngers in the 1990's she tried to find it. She did find an early house that belonged to the Younger's (& purchased it) but was unsuccessful in finding the James addition.

Outside the Jackson Co. courthouse during the trials of the Scottsboro Boys. 1931/32.
1E134150-E31F-461E-9B50-E685C527AF6B.jpeg

I was at the mill in Gadsden in school.

Lived in Gadsden for 3 or 4 of my elementary years. Had lots of aunts, uncles and cousins in the Etowah Co. area, some of whom worked in the still mill. The mill was in an area of Gadsden that was once Alabama City which was annexed by Gadsden in the later 30’s. The relatives I had living there in the 60’s all referred to it still as Alabama City.

We lived in an area of Gadsden that was between the steel mill and the Goodyear tire plant. I remember that some days my mom would hang clothes outdoors to dry and later would have to rewash them because of all of the fallout of soot in the the air.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner