Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

The construction of Wright Field (now Wright-Patterson Air Force Base), c. 1927.

Picture2.png

(photo source: Office of Constructing Quartermaster, “Wright Field (Dayton, Ohio) Completion Report, Volume 1,” n.d. [ca. 1927], AFMC History Office Archives.)

The cameraman is standing approximately where headquarters for Air Force Life Cycle Management Center (AFLCMC) is now located, looking to the northeast. The excavation work for The Administration Building and the Laboratory Building (Building 16) can be seen in the background.

As an aside, the reference to Bldg. 16 refers to the building where I work (when I'm in the office, which has been rare over the last year). BLdg. 16 and much of the surrounding area was the original location of the Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL). AFRL didn't actually exist in 1927, as it wasn't formed until 1945 under Hap Arnold. I'm not certain of it's complete history, but I know 16 was originally a lab and was converted to office space many years ago. AFRL has been completely relocated to another area of WPAFB.

A more recent photo with some labeling. Most of the buildings in and around that area are original Wright Field structures from 1927 - 1945.

Picture3.png

Louis Mountbatten

One of the Regulars
The construction of Wright Field (now Wright-Patterson Air Force Base), c. 1927.

View attachment 335248
(photo source: Office of Constructing Quartermaster, “Wright Field (Dayton, Ohio) Completion Report, Volume 1,” n.d. [ca. 1927], AFMC History Office Archives.)

The cameraman is standing approximately where headquarters for Air Force Life Cycle Management Center (AFLCMC) is now located, looking to the northeast. The excavation work for The Administration Building and the Laboratory Building (Building 16) can be seen in the background.

As an aside, the reference to Bldg. 16 refers to the building where I work (when I'm in the office, which has been rare over the last year). BLdg. 16 and much of the surrounding area was the original location of the Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL). AFRL didn't actually exist in 1927, as it wasn't formed until 1945 under Hap Arnold. I'm not certain of it's complete history, but I know 16 was originally a lab and was converted to office space many years ago. AFRL has been completely relocated to another area of WPAFB.

A more recent photo with some labeling. Most of the buildings in and around that area are original Wright Field structures from 1927 - 1945.

View attachment 335259
My Parents live about 10 minutes from your place of work!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto