Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

The new Corvair is here! 1960.

1703104901898.png

Montana, 1905.

1703192556602.png

Take the Gun (left) and Henry Old Coyote's grandson (right) crossing Little Big Horn River circa 1905. Can you see the wagon in the background?
The Crow also are known as Apsáalooke, or Children of the Large Beaked Bird.
According to the National Museum of the American Indian, "Their historical homelands extended across a large area that included parts of present-day Montana, Wyoming, and South Dakota. There were three Crow political divisions: the Mountain Crow, the River Crow, and the Kicked In The Bellies.
"The River Crow ranged from the Yellowstone River north to the Milk River. The Kicked In The Bellies lived in an area from the Bighorn Mountains to the Wind River Range in central Wyoming. The Mountain Crow lands straddled the present Montana-Wyoming border, with the Black Hills of South Dakota as the eastern edge of their territory."
Today, the people and the government of the Crow Nation are located on a reservation in southeastern Montana.
Smithsonian Institution notes point out that the subjects were identified by Crow Indians through Barney Old Coyote, Spring in 1969.
Original number 144 (penciled on reverse of original print), at the University of Montana, Museum and Northwestern Historical Collection, copy negative number 54-581C and 54-577FF. -- Montana Historical Society

There is a hat maker on Instagram (@shadow1_red) that makes these traditional tall-crown Crow Reservation hats (seen on the left above).

1703193440636.png

1703193479053.png

Actor Michael Grey Eyes from the "Yellowstone" prequel "1923":

1703193527906.png

RBH

Bartender
Wondering who did the little fellow Claude Hankins did away with?

He reminds me of "Carl" from "Shameless".

View attachment 572149

View attachment 572150

I did a little research and here is what I found.
He was discharged in 1909...

MJnoPV.jpg

I discovered this on the FIND A GRAVE site........

On July 19, 1904, Claude Hankins snuck up behind George Mosse while he was milking a cow at the Bolles Ranch. Claude put a pistol near George’s head, pulled the trigger and killed him.

Claude returned the pistol where he’d found it in George’s room and fled on foot six miles to Marysville, California, carrying $68 stolen from his victim. He checked into the Golden Eagle Hotel and fell asleep.

Claude, aged 14, had been at the ranch less than two weeks. His sister’s husband, Atwell Webb, sent him there from their Alameda home, 125 miles southwest, complaining that Claude was an uncontrollable boy who ran with a bad crowd.

Born in 1890 in Stockton, Kansas, Claude was the youngest of John and Helene’s two children. Shortly after his birth, the family moved to California. When he was nine, his parents divorced. When Claude’s mother died in 1903, Claude moved in with his sister.The man Claude murdered was actually George Balch Morse, born in 1856 in Oakland to Harry and Virginia Morse. George’s father, heralded as the “bloodhound of the far West,” was a well-known sheriff of Alameda County from 1864-1878. At the time of the murder, Harry owned a private detective agency and had famously assisted in capturing stagecoach robber Black Bart in 1883. Harry and his only son were estranged, thanks to George’s violent behavior, which included possibly setting a fire at his military school.

During a boundary fence dispute in 1889, George took potshots at his neighbor. A court hearing revealed George also beat his wife and stepson. He had married her after his first wife died in 1880, leaving him with three children. The court cautioned George to control his behavior, and his wife divorced him.

After Sheriff George H. Voss found Claude at the hotel, the boy confessed, revealing George not only beat him, but also tried to sexually assault him. The sheriff noted that the boy’s pants buttons had been torn off. Newspapers called it a “crime against nature.”
Despite his age and terrifying story of abuse, Claude was tried for the murder. Charles Dray, the boy Claude had replaced at the ranch, testified that “[George] threatened time and again to cut my head off and take my heart out….” But Dray withdrew his claim after a visit from ranch manager George Thompson.

Claude was found guilty of second-degree murder. On November 1, 1904, the nearly five-foot-tall and 98-pound 14 year old was sentenced to 16 years in San Quentin State Prison, likely the prison’s youngest prisoner.

Granted parole in November 1909, Claude, 19, had grown a foot taller while incarcerated.
While I feel in my heart that Claude was served a great injustice, his story has a silver lining.

I hope he lived the rest of his life happy.
He moved to Seattle, Washington, where he married Etta Collier in 1914.

The couple had two daughters, and Claude worked as a truck driver and later as a bosun for a shipping company. He never got into trouble with the law again and lived to the age of 75, dying on April 10, 1965 in Seattle.

Mighty44

One Too Many

MJnoPV.jpg

On July 19, 1904, Claude Hankins snuck up behind George Mosse while he was milking a cow at the Bolles Ranch. Claude put a pistol near George’s head, pulled the trigger and killed him.

Claude returned the pistol where he’d found it in George’s room and fled on foot six miles to Marysville, California, carrying $68 stolen from his victim. He checked into the Golden Eagle Hotel and fell asleep.

Claude, aged 14, had been at the ranch less than two weeks. His sister’s husband, Atwell Webb, sent him there from their Alameda home, 125 miles southwest, complaining that Claude was an uncontrollable boy who ran with a bad crowd.

Born in 1890 in Stockton, Kansas, Claude was the youngest of John and Helene’s two children. Shortly after his birth, the family moved to California. When he was nine, his parents divorced. When Claude’s mother died in 1903, Claude moved in with his sister.The man Claude murdered was actually George Balch Morse, born in 1856 in Oakland to Harry and Virginia Morse. George’s father, heralded as the “bloodhound of the far West,” was a well-known sheriff of Alameda County from 1864-1878. At the time of the murder, Harry owned a private detective agency and had famously assisted in capturing stagecoach robber Black Bart in 1883. Harry and his only son were estranged, thanks to George’s violent behavior, which included possibly setting a fire at his military school.

During a boundary fence dispute in 1889, George took potshots at his neighbor. A court hearing revealed George also beat his wife and stepson. He had married her after his first wife died in 1880, leaving him with three children. The court cautioned George to control his behavior, and his wife divorced him.

After Sheriff George H. Voss found Claude at the hotel, the boy confessed, revealing George not only beat him, but also tried to sexually assault him. The sheriff noted that the boy’s pants buttons had been torn off. Newspapers called it a “crime against nature.”
Despite his age and terrifying story of abuse, Claude was tried for the murder. Charles Dray, the boy Claude had replaced at the ranch, testified that “[George] threatened time and again to cut my head off and take my heart out….” But Dray withdrew his claim after a visit from ranch manager George Thompson.

Claude was found guilty of second-degree murder. On November 1, 1904, the nearly five-foot-tall and 98-pound 14 year old was sentenced to 16 years in San Quentin State Prison, likely the prison’s youngest prisoner.

Granted parole in November 1909, Claude, 19, had grown a foot taller while incarcerated.
While I feel in my heart that Claude was served a great injustice, his story has a silver lining.

The couple had two daughters, and Claude worked as a truck driver and later as a bosun for a shipping company. He never got into trouble with the law again and lived to the age of 75, dying on April 10, 1965 in Seattle.
Wow, that is quite a story! Thanks for doing the research—amazing.

MJnoPV.jpg

Fantastic research! Thanks.

Reactions: RBH

RBH

Bartender
Russell Lee is responsible for some amazing photographs.
His photos from Pie Town New Mexico are some of his best work.
I am always taken aback by his work,
And especially when I run across one that I do not think I have seen before.

This one is from June 1940 in Pie Town, New Mexico, taken by Russell Lee.
The 2nd is the same photo in color.

0DQ28X.jpg

n73GPS.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff