Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

Hunting party in Mexico (1903).

IMG_4552.jpeg

IMG_4553.jpeg

IMG_4554.jpeg

In Prisoners, New York artist and photographer Arne Svenson presents some two dozen portraits of turn-of-the-century prisoners, which the artist developed from found negatives. Each image (about one to two feet) is a diptych mug-shot (full face and profile), with the criminal’s name and crime etched into the emulsion and visible above the subject’s head. The crimes range from petty larceny to murder in various ages and races.
We've seen similar mug shots before. Back then from Australia I believe. Fascinating insight into part of society the way it really was back then. These people do not look like they just stepped out of GQ magazine. In three parts.

vintage-mugshots-of-prisoners-1900s-01.jpg
vintage-mugshots-of-prisoners-1900s-02.jpg
vintage-mugshots-of-prisoners-1900s-03.jpg
vintage-mugshots-of-prisoners-1900s-04.jpg
vintage-mugshots-of-prisoners-1900s-05.jpg
vintage-mugshots-of-prisoners-1900s-06.jpg
vintage-mugshots-of-prisoners-1900s-07.jpg
vintage-mugshots-of-prisoners-1900s-08.jpg

Last edited:

Rumad

One Too Many
In Prisoners, New York artist and photographer Arne Svenson presents some two dozen portraits of turn-of-the-century prisoners, which the artist developed from found negatives. Each image (about one to two feet) is a diptych mug-shot (full face and profile), with the criminal’s name and crime etched into the emulsion and visible above the subject’s head. The crimes range from petty larceny to murder in various ages and races.
We've seen similar mug shots before. Back then from Australia I believe. Fascinating insight into part of society the way it really was back then. These people do not look like they just stepped out of GQ magazine. In three parts.

View attachment 571899 View attachment 571900 View attachment 571901 View attachment 571902 View attachment 571903 View attachment 571904 View attachment 571905 View attachment 571906
Good ol’ Franky ‘no nose’.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Well, some of them certainly look the part, but it is striking how young some of these guys are.

That caught my attention too. I'm wondering how many of these younger ones were stealing to survive in hard times (whether they were on their own or stealing for their family), but the young murderer especially puzzles me too. That would be an interesting story, I bet.

Edited to add:
So of course I had to go hunting... I had assumed these were New York photos but that seems not to be the case:

https://www.newspapers.com/article/san-francisco-chronicle-claude-hankins-o/10656092/

Seems the fourteen-year-old Claude was a thief and liar as well as a murderer.

It's amazing what you can find on the internet. How much of it you can believe is another story... ;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen