Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
tumblr_m0linnyUVB1qb8vpuo1_500.jpg

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab

I don't know if this picture is a gag or not. But it was the theme of hundreds of cartoons from the eighteen seventies to the nineteen forties. I have even seen novelty bar lamps with the same motif (drunken swell in top hat leaning on lamp post). I'm surprised any vintage fan hasn't run into it before.

Last edited:

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
This one came from the U of L photo archives.
Here is the full description:
Boys prepare to play baseball in a ritual where a representative from each team wraps his hand around the bat just above the other team representative's hand. The boy whose hand covers the top of the bat will likely decide whether his team bats or fields first. The boys mostly wear knee-length pants with thick stockings, sweaters, and caps. Their shoes are lace-ups which are likely made of leather. The boys stand in a huddle in the middle of an empty lot. The building next door has a sign which reads, "Kentucky Printshop Company." Across the street is "G. Bittners [&] Sons, Makers [of] Fine Furniture" which was located at 427 S. First Street, Louisville, Kentucky.

Bittners is still in business and sell's high end furniture and decorating services.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner