Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

Father & Sons Trio - 1923, photo by KERTESZ

IMG_9724.JPG

Jeff @bowlerman

Hoping this pic might have gotten some local coverage & the mystery of the date might be solved by now. This group pic of local naval veterans recently surfaced & appears to be multigenerational. Some of the older men are wearing GAR reunion ribbons & metals. A lot of the men have Sioux Falls officers hats. Taken in front of the courthouse perhaps?

IMG_9757.JPG

IMG_9758.JPG

IMG_9760.JPG

IMG_9759.JPG

IMG_9761.JPG

IMG_9756.JPG

None of the Union Ironclad gunboats were named the Sioux Falls. A search to determine how many naval ships have been named the Sioux Falls lead to this 2019 article. Unfortunately it only confuses the issue more.

https://kelo.com/news/articles/2019...uss-pierre-how-about-another-uss-sioux-falls/

Richard Wooden Leg, Cheyenne .
He fought at the Battle of Little Bighorn and was an Native American Judge.

The original nitrate negatives is in the Thomas Marquis Collection at the Buffalo Bill Center of the West in Cody, Wyoming.

circa 1927

115846698_2730903583901118_662915710945779206_n.jpg

f31f9d58271561541b08d493afd4a3c2.jpg

Back when the Fruno family would pile into the Impala and take off every summer in the 60s, we went out to Yellowstone once, and also visited Libby, MT (because Dad was stationed out there in the 3Cs during the depression). I forget during which excursion, but we stopped in Cody and visited the Buffalo Bill Museum. If memory serves, it was located in either a little storefront or converted house on the main drag in Cody. It wasn't very big, and I don't remember spending more than maybe 30 minutes there. It did make an impression on me, however, because they had a book on display called "Buffalo Bill's Childhood." It was published I think in the teens and the kicker was - I knew Grandma had a copy. I have since inherited the book. It is, unfortunately, in very bad condition, with brittle, loose pages and a damaged spine and cover.

I'm too lazy to dig it out right now, but I'll have to find it and post a pic. I visited the website of the Buffalo Bill Center of the West just now and Boy Howdy, it's a lot different than that little storefront I visited in the 60s!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko