Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

I'll bet he was a hoot at family gatherings, especially after the jugs with the corn squeezins come out.
That pic was taken during his campaign for Pres running as an Independent. It was during that campaign when the assassination attempt was made on his life. It's the perverbial old story (with small caliper ammo) where something in his inside pocket saved his life.

I'll bet his mood was a hoot that day!

613728B4-E3B5-4CF0-A379-78346F252206.jpeg

RBH

Bartender
Photos courtesy University Of Texas Arlington

Gary Cooper at the film premiere party for the 1940 film "The Westerner" at Shady Oak Farm.

20032545.jpg

20138304.jpg

Amon G. Carter, Sr.

20085483.jpg

Arvel Hall, of the Pitchfork Ranch, at his chuck wagon at the Texas Cowboy Reunion at Stamford, Texas. 1940

20044806.jpg

M. E. Daniel, J. E. Pitzer and J. D. Sandefer Junior, at the Quincy Corbett Ranch, located near Breckenridge, Texas, 1941

20051769.jpg

The second annual Kirven and King Ranch Field Day, left to right, are George W. Barnes and A. L. Ward . 1941

20050638.jpg

RBH

Bartender
There was something about his photo that had my interest.
Maybe his chuck wagon, as I like to eat but more likely his hat!!!

Arvel Hall, of the Pitchfork Ranch, at his chuck wagon at the Texas Cowboy Reunion at Stamford, Texas. 1940
20044806.jpg

I do a lot of genealogy research so I wondered if I could find any information on ol Arvel.
I often find myself wondering about some of the folks in the photos we share.
Here is what I came up with.

His WWII draft card, filled out around the same time the photo was made.

kDxhWR.png

Death certificate

yegGG9.png

His final resting place.

0AKXbO.png

There was something about his photo that had my interest.
Maybe his chuck wagon, as I like to eat but more likely his hat!!!

20044806.jpg

I do a lot of genealogy research so I wondered if I could find any information on ol Arvel.
I often find myself wondering about some of the folks in the photos we share.
Here is what I came up with.

His WWII draft card, filled out around the same time the photo was made.

kDxhWR.png

Death certificate

yegGG9.png

His final resting place.

0AKXbO.png
I noticed the one yr difference in date of birth, common mistake in the era of handwritten records I think.

RBH

Bartender
I noticed the one yr difference in date of birth, common mistake in the era of handwritten records I think.

It was very common, sometimes even up to several years.
Most information back then was word of mouth or if they were lucky a Family Bible had things listed.

My mother was born in Athens Alabama, at her death my brother mistakenly told them she was born in Decatur.
If I had not looked over the form that bit of info would have been wrong.

It was very common, sometimes even up to several years.
Most information back then was word of mouth or if they were lucky a Family Bible had things listed.

My mother was born in Athens Alabama, at her death my brother mistakenly told them she was born in Decatur.
If I had not looked over the form that bit of info would have been wrong.
In my genealogy research I've found a lot of misspelled names by census takers, like Kathy & Cathy, etc.

RBH

Bartender
It is a small world, Rusty. From where i live I can see Limestone Co. and Athens is just a few more miles W on 72. Been around here most of my life and spent 25 years in Decatur. The people of Athens would be upset over such confusion.

My grand parents were from the Browns Ferry area. They both knew the Delmore Brothers.

My grandmothers uncle, Murray Dodd was a former Mayor of Decatur.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points