Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Stetson Nutria Quality Thread

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
Looks like this forum has been dark a few months. Let's light it up. My first Nutria is on it's way. Will know more once I can roll back that sweatband but here is what I do know. Embroidered liner with the Stetson stars crest on the sweatband. It was sold from H.W. Starr Saddle Shop at 530 Broadway in Oakland CA. H.W. Starr was at that location only in the 1930's & 40's then moved to 716 Broadway by 1951. per Oakland museum records. Looks to be in pretty good condtion and I'm thinking I'll keep that telescope crease only get it sharpened up a bit. Really looking forward to this one, can't wait to get my hands into that Nutria. ;) It will stay a Western.....no fedora-twerks or ribbons for this baby.

s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg
s-l1600 (6).jpg
s-l1600 (10).jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
Very nice; it looks like it is in excellent condition. I like that three-ply ribbon; does anyone know of a source for that stuff?
I don't know for sure, but that Tatton Baird hat I just got is only a couple years old, it has a 3 ply ribbon. So maybe a call to Tatton in Utah may provide some info. ???

RossRYoung

Practically Family
Looks like this forum has been dark a few months. Let's light it up. My first Nutria is on it's way. Will know more once I can roll back that sweatband but here is what I do know. Embroidered liner with the Stetson stars crest on the sweatband. It was sold from H.W. Starr Saddle Shop at 530 Broadway in Oakland CA. H.W. Starr was at that location only in the 1930's & 40's then moved to 716 Broadway by 1951. per Oakland museum records. Looks to be in pretty good condtion and I'm thinking I'll keep that telescope crease only get it sharpened up a bit. Really looking forward to this one, can't wait to get my hands into that Nutria. ;) It will stay a Western.....no fedora-twerks or ribbons for this baby.

View attachment 183373 View attachment 183374 View attachment 183375 View attachment 183376 View attachment 183377 View attachment 183378

Gorgeous, love that liner! More pics when you get a chance please :)

Really looking forward to this one, can't wait to get my hands into that Nutria. ;) It will stay a Western.....no fedora-twerks or ribbons for this baby.
Really nice Nutria, Ken. I'm glad you've added that to your collection. And I'm really glad it will be staying original!

So maybe a call to Tatton in Utah may provide some info. ???
Several hatters have searched for a cache of vintage 2-ply, 3-ply & 6-ply ribbon or a supplier of new, to no avail. Tatton Baird probably has his own cache of vintage & probably not willing to sell it off.

RossRYoung

Practically Family
Took delivery of my first Nutria quality this morning, a robbery off eBay. Some quick initial pics below, it needs a little cleaning and stitching but it’s in great shape overall. Still trying to research the date on this one, there seems to be very few Nutria bowlers on the lounge as well. I know Alan has/had one, an earlier example, anybody else?

4CCC3BAB-C550-40B9-8F42-0C70ED9DB4A7.jpeg

00DC1342-CEDC-45C9-8E91-11704847EAFD.jpeg
37C4B07F-70AC-4844-9C10-4E2B7D81D0C6.jpeg
74487F0A-246C-4CD6-BB3D-019EF9F66022.jpeg

Very comfortable fit that runs slightly smaller then my other 7 5/8s
B874D0B8-3E27-4D0C-8B03-0EABCB958940.jpeg

Took delivery of my first Nutria quality this morning, a robbery off eBay. Some quick initial pics below, it needs a little cleaning and stitching but it’s in great shape overall. Still trying to research the date on this one, there seems to be very few Nutria bowlers on the lounge as well. I know Alan has/had one, an earlier example, anybody else?

That's a very interesting hat... between two worlds. The manila size label would suggest 1940s, the large three part mfg. label, 1930s. Somewhere in between would likely be close.

RossRYoung

Practically Family
Thanks for info, Alan! I was tempted to try and move the liner up more but it’s sewn so close that I’m afraid I’d pop the stitches.

Jesse John

One of the Regulars
Hello everyone! This is the oldest hat I have in my possession. It's a Stetson Nutria long haired hat. I didn't think I could love a hat as much as I do this one (then again you all have posted hats that make me drool more than I would for steak). It forms with no steam at all, crown and brim. Anywho, ebay seller claims its from the 40's but was not sure. Could it be earlier? I saw this one on the thread and it's very similar. I was also told it was from Montana originally but I need some help finding this out! I've seen "The 4 Ranch" in the Stetson Hat Book on another Nutria quality hat. The lining is super worn, it's in the photos I've taken. I've used photoshop to try and read the liner better but to be honest, it's much easier in person. So far, Ive made out "MAX___MEYER" it looka like there could also be some "L"s in that. To the bottom right of the liner logo, I can barely make out a "WYo" in person under good light. So, it could very well be from Wyoming too. Let me know your thoughts! I'd love to get a general date and location for this hat. The more I know, the better its legacy lives on....

Jesse
View the photos in my Google Photos album here
https://photos.app.goo.gl/11bbscrW3jQRzvPv5

Attachments

• DSC09741.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 598

Jesse John

One of the Regulars
it's the rafter 4 ranch
Well I'll be danged... Thank you for providing those photos and info!! Knowing it's from Cheyenne makes this hat all the more special to me, as my family is originally from out there! Rafter 4 Ranch, I KNEW I was missing something. I didn't know how to read the brand. Do you know what that means compared to Max J. Meyer? The hat was most likely sold at Max J Meyer correct? Or am I getting it mixed up?

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Did you just buy it? I think it has a 30s crest. You can probably determine better from the reorder tags when it arrives.

Well I'll be danged... Thank you for providing those photos and info!! Knowing it's from Cheyenne makes this hat all the more special to me, as my family is originally from out there! Rafter 4 Ranch, I KNEW I was missing something. I didn't know how to read the brand. Do you know what that means compared to Max J. Meyer? The hat was most likely sold at Max J Meyer correct? Or am I getting it mixed up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner