Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Stetson Nutria Quality Thread

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Yes, this one. The VV stitches can be a sign of earlier than 30s. The crest has some longevity, some of the other guys might have the thread that shows it in catalogs.

04BFD224-B4E7-4135-8233-C424D2CEA243.jpeg

Jesse John

One of the Regulars
Did you just buy it? I think it has a 30s crest. You can probably determine better from the reorder tags when it arrives.
Yeah I just bought it. These are my photos of it. I’ll check the tags! I just have to be careful because the liner was a still stitched over it. I’ll get back with a photo of it!

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Well I'll be danged... Thank you for providing those photos and info!! Knowing it's from Cheyenne makes this hat all the more special to me, as my family is originally from out there! Rafter 4 Ranch, I KNEW I was missing something. I didn't know how to read the brand. Do you know what that means compared to Max J. Meyer? The hat was most likely sold at Max J Meyer correct? Or am I getting it mixed up?

taken from Stetson's employee paper THE HAT BOX Sept 1928

Jesse John

One of the Regulars
taken from Stetson's employee paper THE HAT BOX Sept 1928
Ah, there we go! If only we could go back in time to see what was in stock at this shop...or the Chesnut St shop for that matter. It's a shame the shop is no longer there, it looks gorgeous. I wonder what ever happened to the signage? I was in Cheyenne last summer. I would love to find the original storefront. THANK YOU for providing this amazing info. Im floored. This history stuff is exciting!

Side note..speaking of the Chesnut St Shop in Phila. I did a photoshoot for Stetson a few years ago with Charley Crockett. I used the back and of the store as a backdrop/location. You can see some of the photos here

Enjoy...

TheGuitarFairy

Practically Family
Hi Friends,

I stumbled across this hat literally 6 minutes after it was posted for sale. 7 minutes after it was posted for sale it was made perfectly clear to me owner wouldn't dream of shipping hat. The next day I thought "I wonder if a Lounger could help me here and who do I know in Cali? (that's NOT my size HA!)" Unfortunately for Brent it was he who came to mind first. Brent got back to me very quickly: he was many miles away but suggested I reach out to Alex. Al also responded to me, a lounger who he had never once had any interactions, super quickly and wrote "Sure!, where? when? Good to meet you!"
These things are just hats but sincerely .. I'm humbled and inspired by the generous spirit of these two internet friends. THANK YOU muchly Al and Brent for more cool HAT! and if any of y'all need any facilitation from near ME please don't hesitate to ask!

Now on with the show!

I'm not sure .. is this a late 40s early 50s Nutria? Any hat I've seen online with this store's logo was even older than this. And ok, I understand now .. this Nutria felt is special. Hat has a soft hand (similar to that early 3X embroidered I scored a few months back that mocks me from my wall) but is clearly tough as hell. Hat's color and nap of felt really make for something beautiful to look at. Initially hat sat higher on my head than I like .. I spritzed a little, steamed a little and put hat on my head where I like. It's been that size since.
Re-order tag is orange and under liner edge. I gotta say, digging around under sweatbands is nerve wracking! Finally, shame about the ball point pen on liner (WHO writes in pen on a hat's liner?!)

Hope everyone's well out there, enjoy pictures, I'm glad for the opportunity to show them!
Mike

IMG_6170.jpg

IMG_6169.jpg

IMG_6166.jpg

IMG_6167.jpg

IMG_6175.jpg

Last edited:
These things are just hats but sincerely .. I'm humbled and inspired by the generous spirit of these two internet friends. THANK YOU muchly Al and Brent for more cool HAT! and if any of y'all need any facilitation from near ME please don't hesitate to ask!

Good get and great assist! The ink on the liner is unfortunate, but is part of the hat's history. I bet you won't even notice it when that great hat is on your head.

Hi Friends,

I stumbled across this hat literally 6 minutes after it was posted for sale. 7 minutes after it was posted for sale it was made perfectly clear to me owner wouldn't dream of shipping hat. The next day I thought "I wonder if a Lounger could help me here and who do I know in Cali? (that's NOT my size HA!)" Unfortunately for Brent it was he who came to mind first. Brent got back to me very quickly: he was many miles away but suggested I reach out to Alex. Al also responded to me, a lounger who he had never once had any interactions, super quickly and wrote "Sure!, where? when? Good to meet you!"

Now on with the show!

I'm not sure .. is this a late 40s early 50s Nutria? Any hat I've seen online with this store's logo was even older than this. And ok, I understand now .. this Nutria felt is special. Hat has a soft hand (similar to that early 3X embroidered I scored a few months back that mocks me from my wall) but is clearly tough as hell. Hat's color and nap of felt really make for something beautiful to look at. Initially hat sat higher on my head than I like .. I spritzed a little, steamed a little and put hat on my head where I like. It's been that size for a day now.
Re-order tag is orange and under liner edge. I gotta say, digging around under sweatbands is nerve wracking! Finally, shame about the ball point pen on liner (WHO writes in pen on a hat's liner?!)

Hope everyone's well out there, enjoy pictures, I'm glad for the opportunity to show them!
Mike

View attachment 251805
View attachment 251806
View attachment 251807
View attachment 251810
View attachment 251811

Incredible hat! I’m glad it all worked out for...and good call on making sure those assisting you have significantly different hat sizes! That’s a lot of temptation. ;)

Jesse John

One of the Regulars
Hi Friends,

Now on with the show!

I'm not sure .. is this a late 40s early 50s Nutria? Any hat I've seen online with this store's logo was even older than this. And ok, I understand now .. this Nutria felt is special. Hat has a soft hand (similar to that early 3X embroidered I scored a few months back that mocks me from my wall) but is clearly tough as hell. Hat's color and nap of felt really make for something beautiful to look at. Initially hat sat higher on my head than I like .. I spritzed a little, steamed a little and put hat on my head where I like. It's been that size for a day now.

Mike

View attachment 251805
View attachment 251806
View attachment 251807
View attachment 251810
View attachment 251811

Dream work makes a team work...wait.. did I mess that up?! Great story!!! Beautiful hat in fantastic shape too!! Congrats

Hi Friends,

Now on with the show!

I'm not sure .. is this a late 40s early 50s Nutria? Any hat I've seen online with this store's logo was even older than this. And ok, I understand now .. this Nutria felt is special. Hat has a soft hand (similar to that early 3X embroidered I scored a few months back that mocks me from my wall) but is clearly tough as hell. Hat's color and nap of felt really make for something beautiful to look at. Initially hat sat higher on my head than I like .. I spritzed a little, steamed a little and put hat on my head where I like. It's been that size since.

Mike

View attachment 251805
View attachment 251806
View attachment 251807
View attachment 251810
View attachment 251811
Yep, awesome team we have here!
Pass and SCORE!!!!
tenor (9).gif

LOVE THESE STORIES!!
AND AWESOME HAT!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Super sweet hat.

From the size tag and reorder tag I’d place it in the 40s. Maybe someone has a few other points?

Hi Friends,

Now on with the show!

Mike

View attachment 251805
View attachment 251806
View attachment 251807
View attachment 251810
View attachment 251811

J Williams

Practically Family
Hi Friends,

Now on with the show!

Mike

View attachment 251805
View attachment 251806
View attachment 251807
View attachment 251810
View attachment 251811

Yeah that's a sweet one. Congrats! I really should put my Nutria Qualities on here.

Hello everyone! This is the oldest hat I have in my possession. It's a Stetson Nutria long haired hat. I didn't think I could love a hat as much as I do this one (then again you all have posted hats that make me drool more than I would for steak). It forms with no steam at all, crown and brim. Anywho, ebay seller claims its from the 40's but was not sure. Could it be earlier? I saw this one on the thread and it's very similar. I was also told it was from Montana originally but I need some help finding this out! I've seen "The 4 Ranch" in the Stetson Hat Book on another Nutria quality hat. The lining is super worn, it's in the photos I've taken. I've used photoshop to try and read the liner better but to be honest, it's much easier in person. So far, Ive made out "MAX___MEYER" it looka like there could also be some "L"s in that. To the bottom right of the liner logo, I can barely make out a "WYo" in person under good light. So, it could very well be from Wyoming too. Let me know your thoughts! I'd love to get a general date and location for this hat. The more I know, the better its legacy lives on....

Jesse
View the photos in my Google Photos album here
https://photos.app.goo.gl/11bbscrW3jQRzvPv5

Fantastic hat. I've owned three - one with the same brim binding as yours. All were 1920s era. If you can look at the underneath of the sweatband in the front of the hat (carefully, with a mirror, maybe) you should find a LOTXXXX number stamped. Add it to this thread. And to the "pre-1940s Stetson Westerns" thread as well. The hats I've owned all had LOTXXXX numbers in the 4XXX range. Interestingly, unlike other felts, the Nutria fur seems to hold up remarkably well from moth damage. Yours seems to have survived unbitten too. Enjoy it!

Jesse John

One of the Regulars
Fantastic hat. I've owned three - one with the same brim binding as yours. All were 1920s era. If you can look at the underneath of the sweatband in the front of the hat (carefully, with a mirror, maybe) you should find a LOTXXXX number stamped. Add it to this thread. And to the "pre-1940s Stetson Westerns" thread as well. The hats I've owned all had LOTXXXX numbers in the 4XXX range. Interestingly, unlike other felts, the Nutria fur seems to hold up remarkably well from moth damage. Yours seems to have survived unbitten too. Enjoy it!
I'll certainly check, Alan. I'll try to have it posted Friday if it exist on my hat... If it doesn't then.. I guess I'll let you know that too! Thank you for the references to those threads. Link me to your hat images if they're on here please!! I'll give you a heads up when I find more info. Yes, not a nibble from this hat has been had. Not on this one nor my 40's/50's Nutria. I guess the nutrias look better than they taste... My current hunt for information has made me think of the following questions. Maybe someone on here can help. 1)does anyone know the name of this hat? Perhaps a catalogue image?
2) Does anyone know anything else about the Max Meyer store? I am about to email Cheyenne historical society. An address would be a nice starting point and more images of the store too. Can you tell I'm addicted?

2) Does anyone know anything else about the Max Meyer store? I am about to email Cheyenne historical society. An address would be a nice starting point and more images of the store too. Can you tell I'm addicted?

Get to digging. This store should be easier than most as it was pretty famous in it's own right. You might look for an historical society, Cheyenne history or the County (Cheyenne is in) history in Facebook groups. Sometimes that was the only place I could come up with anything on the stores some of my hats came from. Whatever you find you should share in this thread:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/show-us-your-vintage-hat-store.95776/

This related pic gives new meaning to "hat bodies". Try that with a Stingy. Please...

upload_2020-8-13_8-7-55.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21