Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Stetson Nutria Quality Thread

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Let me just say before someone asks, those cattledog pages are from 1948-49, as noted in a different thread.
Gotta love how Madison Avenue changed the world- check out the old coot in the Nutria Quality row, on the right.

Nice lid there Lefty.

1930's Real Nutria Quality western

This hat is no stranger to the Lounge - many of us watched the auction for it and lusted over the previously posted shots by Zetwal. I am fortunate to be the new owner and to share some additional photos of this extraordinary western on the dedicated Nutria Quality thread.

The condition of this hat is remarkably good - liner and sweatband are as new and the felt is clean and fresh, though with the presence of some mothing. While I wouldn't request this added character, on a western the damage is less obtrusive than it would be on a dress hat.

The kettle finish Real Nutria Quality felt is soft and light, the furry finish quite similar to my early Vita-Felt. Color is a silver/tan:

nutria2.jpg

nutria1.jpg

red silk liner with matching red bow:

nutria3.jpg

the sweatband has a rolled edge and a polished finish... wonderful fine stitching to the reed 24 stitches/inch.

nutria4.jpg

familiar liner crest that is not repeated on the sweatband:

nutria6.jpg

the Boss Raw Edge is finished on the underside only:

nutria7.jpg

the sweatband imprints are deep and clear:

nutria10.jpg

1930s era gold foil size tag:

nutria8.jpg

This hat, shares a quality with my No.1 western... a rare and wonderful fit so that when I put it on, I don't want to take it off.

best,
Alan

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I'm very pleased that you are pleased. It is a remarkable specimen, one of the most beautiful that I have yet to own.

It suits you well. Enjoy ... :yo:

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Given the need in the Southern states to reduce the number of the damned nutria, does Stetson still make nutria felt hats? I could consider a 'ecologically friendly' purchase. Might even consider it a duty . . . :D

Given the need in the Southern states to reduce the number of the damned nutria, does Stetson still make nutria felt hats? I could consider a 'ecologically friendly' purchase. Might even consider it a duty . . . :D

I know Winchester makes nutria blend felts for Stratton Uniform hats but have no knowledge of HatCo doing so. If it is part of their blended fur content, it is another well guarded corporate secret.
Optimo sources their blanks for Europe & have offered a nutria/beaver blend.
I assume custom hatters could order nutria blend bodies from Winchester like they do the beaver & bunny/beaver blends.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Please do not make this another one of those threads about how we should be hunting nutria. This thread is about hats.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Alan, great photos of that gorgeous hat. I particularly like the brim treatment, and the overall condition is superb. If I ever found a beauty like that in a 7 1/2, I might stop searching so hard.

Horsedoc

New in Town
Western Nutria Quality

Greetings: I have inherited a western Stetson purchased in the early fifties. Do i dare have it washed and blocked or should i just leave it alone and enjoy it? Five inch crown and four inch brim. Comments?
p1010008gh.jpg

SteveAS

Practically Family
Greetings: I have inherited a western Stetson purchased in the early fifties. Do i dare have it washed and blocked or should i just leave it alone and enjoy it? Five inch crown and four inch brim. Comments?
p1010008gh.jpg

If by "washed," you mean professionally cleaned, that should be fine. Assuming it's not badly deteriorated, you'd preserve the hat's value best if you kept the original sweatband intact through the cleaning and blocking.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
To me, the felt is worth it. It's so different from any of the rabbit or beaver felts - not better, but so rugged. It looks like a nice addition to your collection.

HatsEnough

Banned
I like its looks. I agree about the felt, too. It has a very different feel to it. I steamed it a bit and it felt much tougher than beaver felt. It had one of those dang Rancher creases when it got to me. I am experimenting with a different crease. I really, really don't like the rancher crease. I have only 2 hats that I left the rancher crease in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran