Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Olympic torch relay it was all Adolf Hitler's flaming idea

Warden

One Too Many
Today, the Olympic torch will be lit in a ceremony in Ancient Olympia. After a short relay around Greece, it will be flown to Britain a week tomorrow to be carried around the country by a succession of torchbearers. Finally, it will be used to light the cauldron at London’s Olympic Stadium during the opening ceremony on July 27. Here, GUY WALTERS reveals the fascinating story of the flame.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2141891/London-2012-Olympics-Torch-relay-Adolf-Hitlers-flaming-idea.html

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Yes, and one of probably his best.
Though of course due to later events this would be glossed over.
Correct me if I wrong but was the winter sports complex at Garmisch-Partenkirchen originally built as a relaxation resort for the Nazi elite? I.e SS Officers and high ranking Nazi officials.
There was a rumor but I have red a few books and could find no real reference that the Berlin games were to have issued real Gold, Silver and Bronze medals.
Leni Riefenstahl also made a film of the games which is probably one of the best produced Olympic films ever. Unfortunatley anything from the Nazi era is always frowned upon even if they are some of the best produced, directed films ever.
You cant take it away from Leni Riefenstahl, she was an excellent director.
I would like to bet most of these current world leaders wish they could produce successful propaganda, because that is what a party political broadcast is, isnt it, such as the Nazi's produced.
Not for the same reasons I may like to add.
(Remember Loungers! No political discussion

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
It's one of the more interesting stories that I like about history.

The Nazis invented the ancient Greek tradition of the torch-relay. Crazy, but true.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The Nazis were the original Boys From Marketing. Few movements understood and manipulated mass psychology more effectively. I've always been surprised that they weren't shipped over here after the war to work on Madison Avenue instead of for NASA.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Nazis were the original Boys From Marketing. Few movements understood and manipulated mass psychology more effectively. I've always been surprised that they weren't shipped over here after the war to work on Madison Avenue instead of for NASA.

Hi

Years ago, I read Heinz Hohne's book, SS the Order of the Death's head. The SS were great marketers. Since they got rid of Christmas (too nice), they invented the "Festival of Midsummer", the SS sold plates, napkins etc to replace the Xmas ones... Ole Adolph was one of the strangest guys to ever walk the planet. He really liked and took care of his secretaries, but had millions of people killed off. He also semi-invented the interstate highway system (even though it was for less than nice reasons), and an affordable car for the average worker (Volkswagen).

We need to research who sold the pet rocks, that's just weird and successful enough to have been an Imported German from that era.

later

Edward

Bartender

true. There's not a political rally since that doesn't use at least some of the Nazi ideas on marketing - not that anyone will ever admit it.

The whole concept of the Olympics fits perfectly with the Aryan Superman notions. I find both enormously tedious (albeit that one is much more dangerous than the other). Was lovely to see Jesse Owens rub it in their faces...

Undertow

From what I understand, we already had our own "sympathizers" here, and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they went into marketing.

Indeed. The black uniform was particularly sharp, lovely piece of design. I can well understand why HB don't admit to it nowadays, though. ;)

Though I'm sure that would be a big selling point in Asia where nobody seems to have a problem with Nazi themed nightclubs (Thailand), Nazi themed apparel (Hong Kong) or potato chip commercials featuring Hitler (again Thailand) -- just don't get them going about the Japanese cause that's another story! ;) :p

1961MJS

Indeed. The black uniform was particularly sharp, lovely piece of design. I can well understand why HB don't admit to it nowadays, though. ;)

Yep, best uniform, worst people in them. Bummer it was a great design, great color scheme, etc.

Looked it up, the Pet Rock was invented and marketed by Gary Dahl, but he doesn't appear old enough to have been with "those" marketers. Gary isn't a particularly Germanic name anyway.

Later

Edward

Bartender
Though I'm sure that would be a big selling point in Asia where nobody seems to have a problem with Nazi themed nightclubs (Thailand), Nazi themed apparel (Hong Kong) or potato chip commercials featuring Hitler (again Thailand) -- just don't get them going about the Japanese cause that's another story! ;) :p

Very true!

Here in London, there's a guy on the cabaret circuit goes by the name of Frank Sanazi - ratpack standards, as reinterpreted Hitler-themed. He did one night smile at a Japanese girl in the audience and say "thanks for helping us out in World War Two!". One of those acts that could be terribly offensive if it wasn't as clever and damn funny as it is.... One thing you have to give the Brits is how well they always did that "disempower your enemy through laughter" schtick.

Yep, best uniform, worst people in them. Bummer it was a great design, great color scheme, etc.

went and ruined it for everyone, didn't they? Schweinhunds! (Schweinhunden?)

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
The German army as a whole had the most striking and dramatic uniforms of any nation in the whole war from the very start, even before the war, sharp uniforms were a part of Hitler's strategy for bending people to his will. Hitler was a genius of mass manipulation and he well understood just how powerful an effect a nice uniform can have both on the person wearing it, and on those viewing it; the psychological effect can be profound, as studies have shown, and Hitler fully exploited this fact, combined with his other attributes such as his personal charisma and dramatic ability in public speaking. The man could almost mesmerize people with his speeches he was so effective in his delivery.

It's really a shame the man was so diabolically twisted and despicable; he might have done great things if he wasn't such an evil ba***rd.

Edward

Bartender
I believe Max Mosley rather likes that kind of theme.

"Prisoner and guard" scenarios. While he chose to take them for privacy rather than libel (for various reasons, including the 'fair comment' defence, something of a misnomer as it protects and opinion irrespective of reasonableness or lack thereof, libel would probably not have been productive), it was recognised in court that there was no proof of a Nazi element. The paper concerned had applied that label solely on the grounds of the German language having been used (so, eh, Germans = Nazis? Small-minded, but that was the News of the World for you. Murdoch press, after all...), plus the fact of his parentage. Had he not been Oswald Mosley's son, I doubt the story would even have been run. [huh]

Noirblack

One of the Regulars
The German army as a whole had the most striking and dramatic uniforms of any nation in the whole war from the very start, even before the war, sharp uniforms were a part of Hitler's strategy for bending people to his will. Hitler was a genius of mass manipulation and he well understood just how powerful an effect a nice uniform can have both on the person wearing it, and on those viewing it; the psychological effect can be profound, as studies have shown, and Hitler fully exploited this fact, combined with his other attributes such as his personal charisma and dramatic ability in public speaking. The man could almost mesmerize people with his speeches he was so effective in his delivery.

It's really a shame the man was so diabolically twisted and despicable; he might have done great things if he wasn't such an evil ba***rd.

The good news is that winning the Project Runway portion of the war did not secure an overall victory for the Fuhrer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy