Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ones that got away

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
There are some rare exceptions in there: that Hollywood at a 48" bust and that Butterick 7466 at a 44", I mean wow. It was a crafted collection of larger size patterns. But the dresses are fairly simple.

Aw well, Ill lick my wounds and keep plugging on :)

LD

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Not too bad, considering how many there are. I've had good and bad luck with lots lately, though- one set I just got, nearly half of them were missing pieces :( Of course, when they say "as is", I guess it's a gamble.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
And the missing piece is always that interesting detail that made you want it in the first place. :eusa_doh: An unusual collar, or an interesting cuff.

All I can think when that happens to me is snapping the lady who had the pattern, "Darn it! I know you wanted to use that detail with another pattern, but couldnt you have put it *back* with its original pattern when you were done!?"

*sigh*

LD

Lauren

Oh, I know! And then I think of how they often split them up into multiple lots and I probably have someone else's pieces and they have mine :eusa_doh:
Always nice when a seller says "I don't know if they have the pieces" and then there's a giant note on it that says "Missing pieces". *grumble grumble* I pulled out one from my stash today that I wanted to make and it was one of those. I just need to move it to another spot, no matter how cute the cover illustrations.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
$71 REALLY

Oct2009_290.jpg

Oct2009_292.jpg

I just watched it because the drawing of the blouse of the woman on the right is in a fabric that is very close to a blouse I made.

swatch-2.jpg

Its the small things that make me happy :)

LD

SayCici

Practically Family
Lauren said:
If it makes you feel better, EvaDress sells a repro of the blouse.
I wish EvaDress had a repro of the entire pattern! I love the outfit on the right, I'd probably even make it in those colors if I could find the right fabric. :)

Lauren

I was watching that, too. Wow. It was at $40 something forever, and I thought "eh, might be worth it to someone", but $144? They can have it! lol

Lorena B

Practically Family
Me neither... come on, i mean, what's the point!! so much money for a piece of paper???[huh]

I can't understand it at least it is for someone's pattern collection.

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
$144.90 :rolleyes:

LD

In a case like this, is it rude to ask the seller if, at this price, it jumps out of the package and sews itself???? :eek:

Holy smokes! I could justify it, maybe if it were for a wedding dress but not just to make something for myself. Then again, I can't sew so maybe I should just hush, lol.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ive seen this pattern talked about on the boards and the 'circuit' if you will, so to see one come up that you can own, Id imagine its equivalent to a rare baseball card.
That and you could repo it.

I would think its a collector or investment piece in a different since than we think about it.
It seems to be a volatile time for pattern prices right now. Im seeing some go online for CRAZY bank. Twice what they would have gone for just a week ago!

LD

Lauren

You know, when it was still in the $40 range I CONSIDERED bidding cause, you're right, it would be worth repro-ing, but still- you'd have to sell a heck of a lot of copies to actually make your money back, let alone make a profit at the price it sold for!
I'm sure another will turn up eventually- I don't think it's been over a year since we saw the last one up there for sale.
I'm thinking my days of buying evening dresses are over. *le sigh* Most the ones I've got were back in the day when about $70 was the top prices you'd see... so over 5 years ago. lol
Again, another reason why drafting is great :D

zendy

A-List Customer
these pain me.
Pink suede shoes. I've made enough money this past month to justify another pair of shoes. They weren't expensive but they had been on my wishlist for over a month since I was in the poor house. I was trying to buy them today, and kid you not, they sold right as I was going to buy them. In what world does this happen? :(
il_430xN.97143128.jpg

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Those high pattern prices...

often mean that the same thing will turn up on one of the repro pattern sites. They can afford the high price as they will make it back many times over!
I am happy with a repro, but it is frustrating for the collectors.
But yes, It makes me REALLY happy that that frilly blouse is on EvaDress!

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
My latest loss.. It was to be a gift form my grandma to cheer me up after I closed my brick and mortar boutique last week.... and it sold over night before I could buy.
il_430xN.96332617.jpg

What is funny, the person who bought it, just bought some stuff from me the other day. I wish I could email her and be like. ... I NEED that dress. lol

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
exquisitebones said:
What is funny, the person who bought it, just bought some stuff from me the other day. I wish I could email her and be like. ... I NEED that dress. lol

Do it! You know what they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner