Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ones that got away

MissHannah

One Too Many
$28.50 (I was out bid by $1!)
tancash.jpg

$27.90 (I was outbid by $5)
DSCN4584.jpg

Kitty T: That swimsuit is divine.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Laura Chase said:
I'm so disappointed about these dresses, they got so expensive, well for eBay standards, anyway. What's the secret about getting a good deal on eBay?

$195.38
eisenberg-1207273338-8975.jpg

$122.50
O4.jpg
You have the best taste in dresses. That may be part of the problem.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
deadpandiva said:
You have the best taste in dresses. That may be part of the problem.
And not enough cash... if someone wants to pay more,they will, no secrets there.
Those are both gorgeous, and the price is pretty reasonable considering the quality.

Miss 1929

Lola Valentine said:
I just deleted it from my watch list before you asked this question and unfortunately I can't remember what it was made out of. There was nothing particularly special from what I do remember though, it's just pretty I guess! I certainly wouldn't have paid that much for it anyway!

I agree, that one seemed overpriced. I mean, it doesn't even have fur! For almost $300 I want some fur on it!

Sunny

One Too Many
Sigh.

7435_1.JPG

I've been trying to get plain, true-brown leather pumps, not suede, not reptile, for nearly two years. These went for $73, just over my snipe. *sigh* :(

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
And not enough cash... if someone wants to pay more,they will, no secrets there.
Those are both gorgeous, and the price is pretty reasonable considering the quality.

If I didn't have to pay so much for the shipping, I would be able to go that much higher, but my limit will be $160 for most dresses, since that's what I can buy excellent dresses for in vintage shops here. For an exceptional item, I might go higher, but considering the risk that the dress might not fit... Well, no, then I wouldn't go much higher.

Oh, and I think it's because of my size too, if you are petite, it's easier to find affordable pieces. I'm just a regular size (in sizing nowadays, anyway), the same as everyone else. lol

MissHannah

One Too Many
Laura Chase said:
Oh, and I think it's because of my size too, if you are petite, it's easier to find affordable pieces. I'm just a regular size (in sizing nowadays, anyway), the same as everyone else. lol

This is true I think. I'm pretty slim and I seem to get better bargains from Ebay US as a result. Not so much on the UK Ebay though - there are certainly a lot of skinny girls in London - I really noticed it when I first moved here.

olive bleu

One Too Many
124435559_tp.jpg

This just ended today...a lot of (17) 40's & 50's patterns..all LARGE sizes..most 38 bust..had this on my watch list, and mistakenly thought it wasn't over for 3 more hours AAKK!!!:eek: went for 31.99 for the bunch, that's less than $2 a piece!!!!I REALLY hope these went to a lounger:(

Miss 1929

Ow...

olive bleu said:
124435559_tp.jpg

This just ended today...a lot of (17) 40's & 50's patterns..all LARGE sizes..most 38 bust..had this on my watch list, and mistakenly thought it wasn't over for 3 more hours AAKK!!!:eek: went for 31.99 for the bunch, that's less than $2 a piece!!!!I REALLY hope these went to a lounger:(

That must hurt - they went so cheap!!! You could usually pay much more for just one!:(

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
kabuto said:
Why not just bid your maximum price? eBay auto-increments your bid to outbid anyone else, without revealing what your maximum is. When the maximum is reached, you lose, but it was your maximum price, after all, so that's what you want to happen.

If I'm not mistaken, snipe software predated the introduction of this autobid system at eBay, and is now obsolete (although they often have other bidding management functions).

There are several reasons to use a sniping program instead of letting Ebay increment your bid for you.

1. It is better to bid at the last minute, as this keeps the price from inflating artificially. If the auction is in a foreign country, or ends late at night or at another time you can't be in front of your computer, the sniping program will take care of it for you so you don't forget.

2. If you change your mind about bidding, a sniping program will let you retract your bid or lower your bid amount prior to the end of the auction.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I got sniped on a pattern, but my max bid was higher. The Pattern jumped from $9 to $27 in the last five seconds.

I have found people tend to list their snipe at even level numbers. I won the pattern by $3, as my max was like $31.40 or something...

LD

Sunny

One Too Many
imoldfashioned said:
That's one of the cutest dresses I've ever seen. I love the red, it's perfect and such a flattering dress too.
You ought to see the fine rows of gathering in the close-ups! All of the red parts have rows and rows of gathering. SO 1940.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Lady Day said:
I got sniped on a pattern, but my max bid was higher. The Pattern jumped from $9 to $27 in the last five seconds.

I have found people tend to list their snipe at even level numbers. I won the pattern by $3, as my max was like $31.40 or something...

Absolutely. Whether bidding on Ebay or sniping, it's always better to find your max bid and then add a little to make it uneven. If my max bid is $30, I'll bid $31.55. I can't tell you how many auctions I've won by some ridiculous amount like 37 cents.

Sunny

One Too Many
KittyT said:
Absolutely. Whether bidding on Ebay or sniping, it's always better to find your max bid and then add a little to make it uneven. If my max bid is $30, I'll bid $31.55. I can't tell you how many auctions I've won by some ridiculous amount like 37 cents.
Ditto that. I won a dress by exactly $0.07 once. I tend to do things like $36.71 - crazy like that.

Aurora

One of the Regulars
I missed out on a pattern last night by 1 penny!!! My max bid was £10.99, it sold for £11 - But I thought it always went up in 4 pences? Never mind... Saved me some money I didn't have to start with! :)

Sunny

One Too Many
Aurora said:
I missed out on a pattern last night by 1 penny!!! My max bid was £10.99, it sold for £11 - But I thought it always went up in 4 pences? Never mind... Saved me some money I didn't have to start with! :)
That's the right way to think about it. When I get outbid by just a little bit, I always tell myself that I have no idea how high the winner's maximum was. Like I just won a pair of boots for $51, just $1 above the next-highest bidder - but my maximum was over $80. So you really never know. It might be just a few cents, or it could be a whole lot.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda