Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

I tried steaming for years, because that was what the folks at Meyer the Hatter used. It wasn't until I came here and read about using a spray bottle of distilled water that I had real success in shaping my hats the way I like 'em. Steaming is great, but it never worked well for me to shape crown, brim, or dents in any major way. Your mileage, etc.

Even if it looks clean, make sure you brush it VERY well before using the spray bottle of distilled water method. You can get some water lines from dust & dirt that don't appear to be there. Also, water soaking thru can give you water marks on the vintage liner as well....

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
1950s? This one really needs a bath (when it is wet, it smells like coffee... very bad coffee. That is due to some old coffee stains on the crown and brim). For whatever reason, there is the number '81' written on the onion skin layer behind the sweat. Any ideas as to why? And yes, I wear it as I would a fedora, pinched in the front and whatnot. Just feels right to me :)

(The big circular discoloration on the back brim is a water drop)
opn11.jpg

opn211.jpg

opn311.jpg

dscf0011.jpg

birdhunter

New in Town
Hey guys I have a 10x Stetson I'm trying to make into a open road esq. fedora. Can someone please tell me the proper width of ribbon for the hatband and the edge band? Thanx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats