Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

JimWagner

Practically Family
Originally I posted this over in "What Hat Are You Wearing Today?", but is seems to belong here.

hat1.jpg

It's a Stetson Open Road 4X Beaver in Silver Belly that I bought new many years ago. I recently replaced the grosgrain hatband as it had seen better days with a leather one I made.

It hasn't been relocked but I did turn the brim down.

rrog

A-List Customer
I got an early Christmas gift yesterday. A lady from my church gave me a genuine Stetson Open Road, 7 3/8 LO. The price tag under the sweat band says $15. It belonged to her brother-in-law and she thinks he got it sometime in the late 50's - early 60's. It was made for Miller's Men's Store, right here in Knoxville, TN. I'll try to post some pics tonight. But in the mean time, I'd like some advice on possible bashes for it. It's silver belly and has been hanging/laying up in a closet for years. So it's got some wear on it. And I'd like to go with a down-in-front brim. Any suggestions? As I said, I'll try to get some pics up later.

Thanks,
rrog

RBH

Bartender
rrog said:
I got an early Christmas gift yesterday. A lady from my church gave me a genuine Stetson Open Road, 7 3/8 LO. The price tag under the sweat band says $15. It belonged to her brother-in-law and she thinks he got it sometime in the late 50's - early 60's. It was made for Miller's Men's Store, right here in Knoxville, TN. I'll try to post some pics tonight. But in the mean time, I'd like some advice on possible bashes for it. It's silver belly and has been hanging/laying up in a closet for years. So it's got some wear on it. And I'd like to go with a down-in-front brim. Any suggestions? As I said, I'll try to get some pics up later.

Thanks,
rrog
Great gift!!!
I say if it will take it, a diamond would look great.

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
JimWagner said:
Originally I posted this over in "What Hat Are You Wearing Today?", but is seems to belong here.

hat1.jpg

It's a Stetson Open Road 4X Beaver in Silver Belly that I bought new many years ago. I recently replaced the grosgrain hatband as it had seen better days with a leather one I made.

It hasn't been relocked but I did turn the brim down.

Jim,

In another thread I've been debating whether a light grey, silverbelly, taupe or similar hat color would suit me with my grey beard. Then I just came across your photo illustrating that it works perfectly. Good one!

rrog

A-List Customer
Brent, I don't think you could ever go wrong with silver belly. And btw, I've not been on here enough lately to welcome you to the board. So, welcome to the lounge.

rrog

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
Thanks, rrog.

While I'm on the Open Road thread...the idea of these soft open-crown hats is that you can mix-and-match whatever crease or pinch elements you like in an individualized manner, right?

Does anyone have pictures of that style of hat with a minimal "bash"? Like little or no pinch and/or a shallow center dent or maybe a modified center dent that's a little wider at the back (mini-C shape)? Or do you need to really go for a Texas-size bash on big ol' crowns like that?

rrog

A-List Customer
I think I might try one of JTL's teardrop bashes. I'll probably not be able to get it like his. If I can't pull that off, I'll go with the diamond. I remember seeing pics of yours in a diamond and it does indeed look nice.

rrog

rrog

A-List Customer
Man, those look sharp! Your tear drops always look so much better than mine. I don't think I'm making mine deep enough. I worked on it some this morning, so I'll try to get some before and after shots up soon. But those are some nice hats.

(maybe I can run mine down to you and let you "help" me make mine look like that.)

rrog

rrog

A-List Customer
My new-to-me Stetson 3X Open Road

Here are some before pics of my Open Road:
100_0228.jpg
100_0230.jpg

100_0232.jpg
100_0236.jpg

And here are some after my attempts to re-bash it using JTL's tutorial as a guide. The lighting is different on these because these pics were taken at home, while the first ones were taken at work:

100_0313.jpg
100_0314.jpg

100_0307.jpg
100_0311.jpg

That last one has my pit bull included, trying to give me some sugar.

rrog

JimWagner

Practically Family
Brent Hutto said:
Jim,

I've been debating whether a light grey, silverbelly, taupe or similar hat color would suit me with my grey beard. Then I just came across your photo illustrating that it works perfectly. Good one!

Most colors seem to work just fine with grey, Brent :) Welcome and go for it.

rrog

A-List Customer
gtdean48 said:
Looks good Rev, especially with the dog! I had a brindle pit years ago, sure miss old Buster!

Yeah, they always break our hearts in the end. If I were king for a day, I'd make it so they stuck around as long as we do.

rrog

billysmom

One Too Many
rrog said:
Yeah, they always break our hearts in the end. If I were king for a day, I'd make it so they stuck around as long as we do.

rrog

:eek:fftopic: Be careful what you wish for! Our parrots are endowed in our wills because they will likely outlive us.

Sue

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner