Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
rrog said:
Here are some before pics of my Open Road:

100_0307.jpg

That last one has my pit bull included, trying to give me some sugar.

rrog

Rrog,, I agree with the others; you did a great job on that crease!

rrog

A-List Customer
Thanks for the kind remarks. It's taking a little getting used to, since the brim is a little bigger than the Fed IV I usually wear. But I'm suffering through just fine.

rrog

Dogface

New in Town
I have had this hat for decades. It's been in many forms, usually some kind of western. I was told it was originally and open road but the orig. band has been replaced and the lining only says Stetson 3x. Dunno if all OR's had a bound brim. Anyway...here it is in it's latest iteration...did this a couple days ago and made the ribbon and bow too.

13466163@N07

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looks like you are handy with a ribbon and bow Dogface. Nice restyle. I can't tell from the photo if the brim is bound or not; I don't know of an OR that is not bound but others may.

Dogface

New in Town
Mr. Paladin said:
Looks like you are handy with a ribbon and bow Dogface. Nice restyle. I can't tell from the photo if the brim is bound or not; I don't know of an OR that is not bound but others may.

Thanks for the kind words. This one is not bound and I had come to believe that OR's were always bound. Could be something similar to an OR I guess. It was much a much lighter more SB color before...could use a good cleaning.

Way back when, & you can find LOTS of Open Road info on this site, an Open Road model had a wide ribbon & possibly a raw edge but that seemed to be discontinued & the standard OR style is thin ribbon with a bound edge. Remember too, lots of folks have tweaked ORs for years, cut down brims, changed out ribbons, (blasphemy!!!) There are also lots of OR styled hats even from Stetson that don't say Open Road & tons of clones = see the Other Open Roads thread. For the Guild, proof of "Open Road"ness is required.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
First Open Road!

Here is my first xxx Open Road :rolleyes:

Does anybody have a clue about the dating? The size tag is unusual. When did the xxx cost 15$?

Dreispitz

One Too Many
gtdean48 said:
Looks like the typical Long Oval size tag, just still has the price border around it. Got any shots of the crest on the sweatband or a closer one of the one on the liner?

Here we go!

Dreispitz

One Too Many
gtdean48 said:
My 3X OR has the embroidered Last Drop in the crown & it is either late 40s or early 50s. Jimmy the Lid, DinerMan & others know this stuff cold. My guess is mid to late 60s. Could even be early 70s

Feeling wise, the lining is no silk. Maybe, that is another clue!?

Dreispitz

One Too Many
jimmy the lid said:
Given the liner on that one, I think circa mid-50's is a good bet. ;)

Cheers,
JtL

Hm, the liner has got no plastic protection over the logo. Most of the later ones do have this protection.

What about the size tag? Other 50ie ones are cream colour with a black center and cream figures.

The tag in your (I think it was your hat) Korea war time one is similar. So, do these tags come in later times or do they stand for a narrow time frame? Late 40ies early/mid 50ies?

Cheers, Dreispitz

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points