Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

Dogface

New in Town
A new, to me Open Road. I'm told it's circa 1970 but you guys might well have a better idea. It doesn't say Open Road on it anywhere but I have no doubt. It is a Stetson 25 and is buttery soft. Dunno when or if they stopped making them with the 'wind cord'. Almost too nice to wear and looks like it never was worn before except for a little sweat stain on the leather sweat band.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13466163@N07/?saved=1

Dogface said:
A new, to me Open Road. I'm told it's circa 1970 but you guys might well have a better idea. It doesn't say Open Road on it anywhere but I have no doubt. It is a Stetson 25 and is buttery soft. Dunno when or if they stopped making them with the 'wind cord'. Almost too nice to wear and looks like it never was worn before except for a little sweat stain on the leather sweat band.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13466163@N07/?saved=1
I have a Stetson 25 that looks just like an Open Road but doesn't say so anywhere & it does have a wind trolley attached. Mine is early 60s, possibly late 50s.
The only way to have no doubt about an Open Road is to see it clearly printed on the sweatband. I had a modern OR that only had OPNRD stenciled on a tag behind the sweatband. I also have a Stetson 25 that has a 2 ply ribbon band & a raw edge, same hand as the OR style 25.
You have a very nice Stetson 25 in the Open Road style = GREAT lid!

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Justdog said:
Agree with GT. 25 is pre 70 unless the liner and sweat were left over for 10 years:) . 25 is a great all round hat. substantial felt and fantastic quality.
I have 2 open road 25's I always find it interesting how some were labeled and some were not.

That liner was used well past 1970.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Justdog said:
That dates my twin 25's Both price tags under sweat 25 dollars
How long did they use the embroidered last drop liner for?

Well into the 60's, but I have yet to see it in a post Philadelphia hat.

Mav

A-List Customer
Just started the hunt for a silverbelly OR. I had never really considered wearing one of these, primarily because it's the only hat my dad and grandad ever wore (an OR snapped down in front with the cattlemans crease was ultra eastern Montana chic), so I guess I always considered them "old man" hats. Either my taste has changed or I'm now an old man. Maybe a little of both.
Anyway, wish me luck. Too damned pricey brand new, so it's going to take some searching.

swaviator

New in Town
Hi...I have a wonderful old Open Road with Trolley Cord. Shorty's in Oklahoma City is blocking, cleaning and bashing it to Stratoliner specs. I want to post a before and after when I get back. Not wanting to assail anyones sensibilities, would it be more proper to post it here, on the Stratoliner page, or both. Being somewhat new in town, I'm not yet sure footed enough to know the ins and outs of protocol.

Question: About what year did Stetson desist with installation of the Trolley Cord?

Dogface

New in Town
gtdean48 said:
Post it here since it is an Open Road. Like it has to say Open Road to be in the Open Road Guild, it has to say Stratoliner to be in the Society...

Just lurking this thread today. Deputy: I had heard that a fair number of Open Roads don't actually SAY 'Open Road' on the sweat band. So...we would not be 'allowed' to post on your OR Guild ? :rolleyes: & lol

Dogface said:
Just lurking this thread today. Deputy: I had heard that a fair number of Open Roads don't actually SAY 'Open Road' on the sweat band. So...we would not be 'allowed' to post on your OR Guild ? :rolleyes: & lol
That's right. My Stetson 25 & Stetson 100 are both dead ringers for Open Roads but don't say Open Road so they don't qualify. [huh]

Dogface

New in Town
gtdean48 said:
That's right. My Stetson 25 & Stetson 100 are both dead ringers for Open Roads but don't say Open Road so they don't qualify. [huh]

Well, I'd never want to join a club that would have me as a member anyway ;)

........Groucho Marx

Spats McGee

One Too Many
gtdean48 said:
Post it here since it is an Open Road. Like it has to say Open Road to be in the Open Road Guild, it has to say Stratoliner to be in the Society...
What if it said Open Road, but the lettering came off when you put Lexol on the sweat? That's what happened to mine, and I can still (barely) make out the Open Road on the sweat. Do I still get to me a member?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Spats McGee said:
What if it said Open Road, but the lettering came off when you put Lexol on the sweat? That's what happened to mine, and I can still (barely) make out the Open Road on the sweat. Do I still get to me a member?

(barely)

We cut three corners from your card.
:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider