Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

AXL DEMOCRACY said:
Just got my first Open Road which I won on eBay. A real beautiful hat.
It came in its original (?) cattlemen's crease, but I am trying to give it a new block - more of a fedora shape.

But it is real hard. I am not seasoned at this stuff, but am trying my best to re-shape it. Its being very stubborn though!
If it is farly modern, from the 1970's until now, they are very stubborn! My best results came from spraying the crown very well with distilled water after a serious brushing. You can get to a good teardrop or diamond if you keep working it. Don't expect to go straight there. It can take some time unless you have a hatshaper & go to open crown with an iron. HTH

Mr E Train

One Too Many
AXL, I had an Open Road clone made by Park Crest (50's, I think) that was in a rather rudimentary cattleman's crease when I got it.

367318029_tp.jpg

I bashed it in a diamond or kite shape, and it turned out great.

a624094c.jpg

I didn't spray it with distilled water, I just used a steady stream of steam from a tea kettle and kept alternately molding it and hitting it with steam to keep it malleable. That was the first hat I ever seriously bashed, and it only took me about 10 minutes. Since then I have used distilled water, and that works just as well.

I ended up selling the hat to a Lounge member because it was too small, but now I have seller's regret, because that was some sweet felt, other than a couple of obvious moth divots.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
It's not an OR - and this isn't about whether it's labeled as such or not, it just doesn't have the right proportions (yes, they vary) or ribbon. The 3.5" wide brim probably kept the bidders away more than anything. Anything over 3" is serious business as far as I'm concerned, and I'm not about serious business. Still, it's a nice western.

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
thanks lefty

i planed to convert it perhaps i can cut down the brim some while im at it.
By the way i love the way yours turned out Mr. E Train that's the sort of look im hoping to get .

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Midwest Boater said:
i planed to convert it perhaps i can cut down the brim some while im at it.
I was looking at that one but the crown seems a bit too tall to get the bash I wanted and I just picked up another like it with shorter crown.
As far as trimming the brim on those, measure carefully - draw a line - cut with scissors - sand the edge. Take a little off the first time so you get the feel of it. When the brim is the width you want just wet it down good and shape it the way you please.
IMHO, these make nice OR substitutes for casual, worry free wear.

AXL DEMOCRACY

One of the Regulars
Mr E Train said:
AXL, I had an Open Road clone made by Park Crest (50's, I think) that was in a rather rudimentary cattleman's crease when I got it.

367318029_tp.jpg

I bashed it in a diamond or kite shape, and it turned out great.

a624094c.jpg

I didn't spray it with distilled water, I just used a steady stream of steam from a tea kettle and kept alternately molding it and hitting it with steam to keep it malleable. That was the first hat I ever seriously bashed, and it only took me about 10 minutes. Since then I have used distilled water, and that works just as well.

I ended up selling the hat to a Lounge member because it was too small, but now I have seller's regret, because that was some sweet felt, other than a couple of obvious moth divots.

Thank you for the advice and suggestions, Mr. E.

It is still being very stubborn. I may just have to break it in by wearing it and then trying to get the diamond shape. Or I guess I can always bring it to a professional like someone mentioned and have it re-shaped. :p

Mr E Train

One Too Many
AXL DEMOCRACY said:
Thank you for the advice and suggestions, Mr. E.

It is still being very stubborn. I may just have to break it in by wearing it and then trying to get the diamond shape. Or I guess I can always bring it to a professional like someone mentioned and have it re-shaped. :p

I probably had an easier time because mine had uncommonly nice felt that was very malleable. I almost didn't need to use steam or water. I recently got a late 40's/early 50's Open Road that's currently being cleaned and blocked, and the felt on it doesn't compare to that Park Crest. There I go, feeling that sting of seller's remorse again. :eusa_doh:

buler

I'll Lock Up
Twenty-Five

A Stetson Twenty-Five. The felt of the crown really reminds me of my 7X Clear Beaver and the brim on this one is pounced just a tad less than my 100s.

B

twentyfive_12.jpg

twentyfive_1.jpg

twentyfive_3.jpg

twentyfive_4.jpg

twentyfive_5.jpg

twentyfive_6.jpg

twentyfive_7.jpg

twentyfive_8.jpg

twentyfive_9.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Wow -- fantastic, Buler! Looks like you scored one of the older Stetson 25's -- and in beautiful condition, no less. Interesting comparison to your 7X and 100.
Sounds like a damn fine OR to me. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jimmy the lid said:
Wow -- fantastic, Buler! Looks like you scored one of the older Stetson 25's -- and in beautiful condition, no less. Interesting comparison to your 7X and 100.
Sounds like a damn fine OR to me. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL
Can anyone tell me what is the chief difference in a nutshell (much prefer a short answer instead of a link to a ten thousand message chain) between Stetson Royals, 25s, and all the other kinds, and how they differ from Open Road? I want to know in case I want to search EBay sometime. I'm quite confused. Not so interested in the X factor which seems somewhat bogus, but just the quality differences. The styles of look those Stetsons alike to me.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
An Open Road is a specific model. The Royal, Royal DeLuxe, 3X, Twenty-five, 7X Clear and 100 are quality(and or price) designations. They may or may not be Open Roads.

The numbers like 25, 50, 100 were price point designations first and as the price went higher the quality and workmanship went up. (Makes you wonder about these in light of inflation.)

The x's are representing the beaver fur content with the higher the number being better, but I have never seen the x's and a content percentage linked anywheres either.

The designations of Deluxe, Royal Deluxe and such seem to be a bit more fluid as to what they really mean, we have never seen a chart or ad that spelled out anything as to what these designations actually contained as tp X's. I don't know if going thru all of the Stetson ads would clarify their meaning much either. Now take the total and mix it all together and you get a strange mixture where we simply don't know how exactly all of these designations interact.

Somewheres I read that even at Stetson the information as to true nature of Deluxe vs Royal Deluxe and the others was lost a long time ago. But the terms sure sound good.

In other words to the faithful Stetson wearer - It's a mystery.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
2 weights in multi-X OR's?

Trying to test a theory concerning felt weight for OR's with the 3X and 7X designations. Did they come in both standard weight and full western weight? If so were they distinguished by the liners: Last Drop....for full Western weight and the crest for the dress/medium weight. These need to be actual Open Roads in style and dimension. Weigh them if you can or make a judgement.
My Royal Deluxe and 25 weigh 116 grams(just over 4 ounces). I don't have the necessary samples myself. This one is 142 grams(5 ounces):
4392478641_146e2290d6_b.jpg
4392479099_c47184aa1b_b.jpg
4392497875_a9cd4f2dd6_b.jpg

4393387742_aff39f1e81.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
OR Competitor lightweights.

Just weighed to compare the Borsalino Alessandria with the OR and it was 91 grams (about 3-1/4 oz.)
Mallory Dallas Pliafelt 81.5 +7.5(liner to equalize)=89 grams

Mr E Train

One Too Many
I forgot, I guess I can throw in here now. Just got this circa 1950 Royal Stetson Open Road the other day. Sweatband had to be replaced because of dry rot, and the ribbon's not in the best of shape either. Looks like whoever had this baby before really used it.

or1.jpg

8c2dc1f7.jpg

AXL DEMOCRACY

One of the Regulars
Great photos of your Open Roads!

The one I have is really being stubborn regarding trying to get a diamond crease on it. I probably have to get it professionally done as I am not skilled enough to get it nearly as beautiful as some of the photos I have seen in this thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy