Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

randooch

I'll Lock Up
I agree. So I found one on the bay in my size, 7 1/2 (shocker!), but it was missing its ribbon. The color is so fantastic and creamy, the felt so lovely and inviting, I thought, "I wonder if Art Fawcett would do me the favor of installing just the right ribbon?" I asked him with a bit of trepidation, and he responded right away, agreeing to take on the job! :)

The hat came back today after an incredibly short time away (a week? Could it have been that fast?) and I'd like to share the results. He lifted the hat from the realm of lofty to that of heavenly. I am blown away.

I gave him the option of leaving the trolley on (it remained, where the ribbon was gone) or losing it, and he chose to let it be. That was the perfect choice! And I left the ribbon color selection entirely up to his experienced eye. That was wise on my part! Check out his superb work:

DSCF1115.jpg

DSCF1116.jpg

DSCF1117.jpg

DSCF1118.jpg

HatsEnough

Banned
My latest 7X Clear Beaver Open Road with an embroidered "Last Drop" liner. Brim 2-3/4.

This makes my third 7X Clear Beaver Stetson.

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

It has a paper price tag inside that says it was originally sold at "Cottrell's" with a price of $50 on it.

So, this one confirms something I've been noticing with Stetson's high end hats. My 100 is a 7-1/8 and so is one of other 7X Clear Beavers. They both fit almost like a 7-1/4 on me -- not quite that large but looser than other 7-1/8s. My Stetson 10X is a size 7 and so is one of the 25s and both fit a little large, almost but not quite like a 7-1/8. My other 7X is a 6-7/8 and fits like a perfect size 7.

So, to my head, all the high end Stetson hats I have seem to fit almost a size larger than the size noted on the size tag.

Weird.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Looks very good, randooch. Of course, the thin ribbon purists will not be happy with you. I have to admit, I've done that to two 1990s era ORs though.

Truth be told, the width was guided by the fact of several moth nibbles that would have been clearly visible with a thin ribbon. As it turned out, though, I tip my hat to the hungry little buggers.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
My latest 7X Clear Beaver Open Road with an embroidered "Last Drop" liner. Brim 2-3/4.

This makes my third 7X Clear Beaver Stetson.

scaled.php

It has a paper price tag inside that says it was originally sold at "Cottrell's" with a price of $50 on it.

So, this one confirms something I've been noticing with Stetson's high end hats. My 100 is a 7-1/8 and so is one of other 7X Clear Beavers. They both fit almost like a 7-1/4 on me -- not quite that large but looser than other 7-1/8s. My Stetson 10X is a size 7 and so is one of the 25s and both fit a little large, almost but not quite like a 7-1/8. My other 7X is a 6-7/8 and fits like a perfect size 7.

So, to my head, all the high end Stetson hats I have seem to fit almost a size larger than the size noted on the size tag.

Weird.
NICE OR !! Is that the original hat box that it came in in the picture? Do you have any pics of it if it is? We need to see the "whole package" :)

HatsEnough

Banned
NICE OR !! Is that the original hat box that it came in in the picture? Do you have any pics of it if it is? We need to see the "whole package" :)

No, it did not come in a box. What it is sitting on is a Stetson box I had sitting around empty. It is one of those good hard ones with the leather strap. I have a few of these sitting around empty.

HatsEnough

Banned
?? I am a bit confused by your post.

The price tag I am talking about is a white one that was in the hat. Not a green one on a hatbox. Also, the belt on my hat box is much more worn than the one in that photo. Different crease on the hat, too.

I'm not sure what you are getting at?

HatsEnough

Banned
All my Stetson Open Roads...

scaled.php

From the left...
Top: Stetson 100
Second Row: Twenty Five, Early 1950s; Twenty Five Late 1950s or Early 60s
Third Row: 7X Clear, Beaver 1950s; Tan, 1950s; 7X Clear Beaver, 1960s
Bottom Row: 10X Beaver, 1990s; 1990s converted with brown ribbon and trim; 1990s converted with black ribbon; 3X, 1950s

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
All my Stetson Open Roads...

scaled.php

Another THANKS for sharing your collection. Quite some special hats. Wear them in style sir.

BTW: HE I will save a copy of your posted pic in the folder marked OR on my computer. It will provide me a visual reference for OR hats. I appreciate the pics for enjoyment and in this case for reference.

Eric -

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Hats, what's missing is that Ermine Stetson to sit on top of the pile of ORs.

You clearly need to buy the one on eBay, then you can really relax and be sure that you've finished with Open Roads.

That's a great collection by the way!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred