Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

JTopenroad

One of the Regulars
A visit to Optimo with one of my vintage Open Roads

IMG]http://i1199.photobucket.com
Graham1.jpg
Graham2.jpg

Last edited:

KC Capellor

One of the Regulars
JTopenroad, looks like no finer place to have your OR serviced!
TomS, you sure got a nice diamond crease in that one, looks like these 3xs are very similar vintage. Also of interest this hat came from the famous Denver Dry Goods Co., a historic landmark and well known stockman's store and catalog since the late 1800's.

KC Capellor

One of the Regulars
Arrived today this "beater" Stetson Open Road 4X. "Stetson" pin on ribbon bow and diamond-pattern white satin liner (1970's?). A few tiny moth bites and well smudged, stained, and soiled, otherwise felt has very nice texture, firm yet supple, fine suede-like finish. Sweatband excellent, liner stained and smelly. Color more chestnut brown / cafe-au-lait than Silverbelly (compare to Resistol San Antonio and Stetson Open Road 3X underneath). Crown 5 3/4" open, 4 1/2" as creased, brim 2 7/8" - my widest. Tight, low cattleman's crease and upcurled brim looked like right off the head of a 1950's sheriff's deputy or livestock auctioneer. I turned down the brim, pushed the crown open, and while I watered the neighbor's tomatoes I soaked the hat with the garden hose and let it dry on my head. Once dry it pinched right into a fedora crown with snap brim, looks mighty snazzy, and fits like...well like it was molded for my head.

Cheers from KC!

Last edited:

DougC

Practically Family
Just left Paris Hatters (dropped off the Dalworth I bought from KC for blocking) and was talking with the owner about new hats. He is having Stetson make a 10x Open Road for the shop that should be in by October. I'll keep you posted when I get a look...

Landman

One Too Many
Just left Paris Hatters (dropped off the Dalworth I bought from KC for blocking) and was talking with the owner about new hats. He is having Stetson make a 10x Open Road for the shop that should be in by October. I'll keep you posted when I get a look...

Great. I'm in there all the time. I can't wait to see what they come up with.

DougC

Practically Family
I keep telling him he needs to have at least an extra 1/4 inch built into the crown! Abe thinks I'm a nut for liking my older ORs. And, I may ask if he can get at least one in an open crown...

Landman

One Too Many
I keep telling him he needs to have at least an extra 1/4 inch built into the crown! Abe thinks I'm a nut for liking my older ORs. And, I may ask if he can get at least one in an open crown...

Since I like a cattleman's crease I could live with the new ones too if they had an extra 1/4". The way they are now they hit the top of my head and they are too stiff do anything about it.

KC Capellor

One of the Regulars
Tom and Manfred, thank you, I just really enjoy wetting down those cattleman's creases and bashing them into a teardrop.
Doug, I'm sure Paris will really crisp up the Dalworth, be sure to post a photo of the new blocking.
Cheers! KC

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
It occurs to me that, although I've posted my ORs in other threads, I haven't gotten them down here.
20120816_151839.jpg

L-R: Resistol OR clone, ca. 50's 3x Stetson, ca. '63 Stetson 100. This picture in particular captures the subtle color differences.

Now just the Stetsons:
20120816_150209.jpg

Diamond crease on the 3x, Ft. Worth on the S100
20120816_150237.jpg

Embroidered "Last Drop" liner and the gold imprinted on the 100

Here I tried to capture the difference in the finish of the felt...as best I could with my cellphone camera
3x:
20120816_150432.jpg

100:
20120816_150445.jpg

Ok, one last one, my puppy photobombed me :D:
20120816_151056.jpg

JTopenroad

One of the Regulars
Nice Open Roads. I always like seeing the 100s. If I ever come accross one in my size I'm afraid I couldn't resist another hat purchase!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo