Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

DougC

Practically Family
Fellas--no pics yet; but, I just became the new owner of a brand new, out-of-the-box Stetson 20x Open Road made only for Paris Hatters! I'll get an account at some photo thing and post some pictures later. Meanwhile, the felt is phenomenal! When I hit it with steam, the felt was like putty! It REALLY is bad for me to office across from Paris Hatters!

Doc Mark

Familiar Face
Doc,

That's a great looking Stetson. I was born and raised in San Antonio. I still live here today and I've never heard of Alterman's Man's Shop. I'll let you know if I can find anything out about it.

Hey, Landman,

Much appreciated, Sir! Again, the info that listed San Antonio came from the obituary of a fellow who came to Texas from Mexico, early in the 20th century, then is said to have worked to this same men's store in San Antonio. He later moved to California, where he passed away and is buried. In my searching, I did find a listing for an Alterman Electric, I believe, which was also in the same area, if memory hasn't steered me wrong. Yeah, like THAT never happens, eh?! <LOL!!> I look forward to hearing whatever info you can dig up, Mike. Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

DougC

Practically Family
Front of the hat band.

Side shot of the ribbon and hat.

Liner shot.

Okay--back left is a modern OR, from left is a fedora-ized Royal Deluxe OR from the 50's, dead center is the new hat, front right is a Resistol Dalworth, and the back right is a 50s OR Royal Deluxe that has been caught in the rain more than a few times--this last one is the softest hat I have!

Last edited:

DougC

Practically Family
By the way--that hat in the back right has the identical measurements of the Campdraft with a 2 5/8th inch brim that some loungers are trying to get from Akubra.

AND--with this posting, I humbly request admission to the Guild...finally!

DougC

Practically Family
Looks like the brim is 2 7/8th inches. I think that might be a tad big to call this hat an OR...UNLESS we remember the older ORs hat pretty wide fluctuations in brim size. I'm happy with the shape, too--I used their steamer instead of my kettle to put in a VERY quick curl; the front turned out kind of squared off rather than round like my other hats. I like it, but, I WAS rushing to get back to the office. I'll wear it--the shape may change. Oh yeah--the crown is just over 5 inches when I pushed out the crease.

Doc Mark

Familiar Face
Hey, Dougc,

Well done, Sir. That's a very nice OR, and in fact, your range of those is really interesting. Do you buy them to wear, and so get them in your own size, or just to own and enjoy, and not worry about sizing? I would only buy to wear, but I know many folks like to have collections, usable, or not. Thanks, again, for sharing your new OR with us, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

DougC

Practically Family
I wear each if them--all are size 7. The back right (with the colorful hirse hair band) was a 7 1/8th I had resized to a larger 7. The modern OR on the left is my cooking hat--it smells like mesquite smoke! I didn't put my 3x OR in the the mix or lots of others. Almost all are silver belly except the straws. :)

Doc Mark

Familiar Face
Hi, Dougc,

Man, you really brought back some great memories of camping on the Texas plains, back in the 1950's, and doing all the cooking over mesquite wood fires! Those were some outstanding days to be learning how to camp and enjoy the outdoors! Thanks for that, Doug!

Also, thanks for your hat information. Silver Belly still seems like a popular color in Texas, from what I've seen, but I remember lots of hats looking similar to that, "back in the day". Thanks, again, for the info and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Doc Mark

Familiar Face
Hey, Doug,

Sounds great! We will be working in Texas in June, or July, but not too close to you, unfortunately. Still, we get to San Antonio now and then, and will definitely give you a shout. Many thanks for the kind invitation, and I look forward to it! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Landman

One Too Many
I did a little asking around and so far I can't find anybody that remembers the shop. There did used to be a men's store named Adelman's that everybody remembers but not Alterman's.

Landman

One Too Many
I purchased one of the new Paris Hatter's Open Roads too. I purchased the 10x from Abe instead of the 20x that DougC purchased. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures yet but will try to post some in the next few days. I'm out of town working right now.

My first impression of it is it is a very nice hat and reminds me of my Stetson Beaver 100 that has some stiffner in it (not to be confused with a Stetson 100). It has a very soft 2 3/4" brim. You can easily snap the brim up or down without any steam. The crown is precreased in a Cattleman's crease and is not as soft as the brim. The crown obviously has some stiffner in it but it is not as stiff as the current 3x Open Roads. I went with the 10x rather than the 20x because I really didn't see a lot of difference between the two except the interior liner and sweatband. I'm sure if this turns out to be as nice of a hat as it looks I'll probably buy a 20x too.

When I get back in a few days I'll take some pictures and give you a little better review of it. I just bought it yesterday and dropped it off at home and then had to leave so I really haven't had time to play around with it.

TPD166

One Too Many
I'll be downtown for next few days - looks like I'll need to work Paris Hatters into my schedule!

I purchased one of the new Paris Hatter's Open Roads too. I purchased the 10x from Abe instead of the 20x that DougC purchased. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures yet but will try to post some in the next few days. I'm out of town working right now.

My first impression of it is it is a very nice hat and reminds me of my Stetson Beaver 100 that has some stiffner in it (not to be confused with a Stetson 100). It has a very soft 2 3/4" brim. You can easily snap the brim up or down without any steam. The crown is precreased in a Cattleman's crease and is not as soft as the brim. The crown obviously has some stiffner in it but it is not as stiff as the current 3x Open Roads. I went with the 10x rather than the 20x because I really didn't see a lot of difference between the two except the interior liner and sweatband. I'm sure if this turns out to be as nice of a hat as it looks I'll probably buy a 20x too.

When I get back in a few days I'll take some pictures and give you a little better review of it. I just bought it yesterday and dropped it off at home and then had to leave so I really haven't had time to play around with it.

DougC

Practically Family
Landman--I'm with you. It was VERY hard to tell the two hats apart. The crown and the brim on the 20X seemed softer to me--I can't say that is because there is more beaver in one compared to another or what it is. And I really liked the sweat band! Either hat outshines my modern 4X (which is VERY soft after a couple years of fanning fires!). Congrats on the new hat!

TPD--I think you'll like the new hats--very much a vintage feel to my hat. Abe (always selling!) even said this hat is how Stetson made them forty years ago...I don't know about that; but, the hats are nice.

Are they special order or does Paris Hatters have various sizes in stock of the 10X & the 20X?
When HatCo first took over making the OR's, they were offered in 4X & 10X, later dropping the 10X version.
Paris Hatters website is only one that I have found offering a felt 6X OR. Found a good many straw 6X but not felt.

DougC

Practically Family
They are a special offer from Stetson made for Paris Hatters and they got in last week on Friday. I only waited until yesterday because the store didn't have a price yet. AND, they have all different sizes. The last 6X sold out in January and was also a special offer...give them a call.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo