Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

itsallgood

One of the Regulars
I don't know how colors get imbued in beaver felt, but I would really, really, really like a beaver fedora in Stetson's cornhill. The open road would be fine, I'd just rebash it to a centerdent. For some reason, the cornhill just works with my skin tone. I suspect I'm not the only one because the distribution channel sold out of anything in cornhill last year pretty quick and it was never replenished. I've looked at the usual custom suspects of pecan, walnut, etc, etc but they just miss the mark. A pure open road in cornhill would be a home run IMO.

I don't know how colors get imbued in beaver felt, but I would really, really, really like a beaver fedora in Stetson's cornhill. The open road would be fine, I'd just rebash it to a centerdent. For some reason, the cornhill just works with my skin tone. I suspect I'm not the only one because the distribution channel sold out of anything in cornhill last year pretty quick and it was never replenished. I've looked at the usual custom suspects of pecan, walnut, etc, etc but they just miss the mark. A pure open road in cornhill would be a home run IMO.

I think Winchester’s camel might be closer the Cornhill; although, it’s nowhere near a match. I had a Cornhill Stratoliner and found it an interesting color.

itsallgood

One of the Regulars
on subject though, Hatco's tobacco Brown is a nice, rich, tone.

Yes, I agree. I have an Excellent Quality Bogie in Tobacco Brown and it is a very nice shade. I find myself grabbing the deeper tone Mink in the cold winter months, but the Tobacco during the shoulder season. My thinking for the Cornhill would be for spring, fall and cool summer days.

We're having a cold summer in the San Francisco area this year and even just this morning I was out running an errand and wore a felt Akubra Sydney, tawny I think. I was happy for not only the sun covering, but the warmth on this chilly July day!

I'd post a photo of the Tobacco Bogie, but I don't want to confuse the thread. It's not an Open Road and I punched out the crown to a higher centerdent from the original factory blocking.

Maillotyawn

New in Town
I've been trying to decide which color of OR RD to get. I watched this video and one of the commenters says the hat on the left is the natural color. After searching and searching through images, I can't decide what the actual color is. My closest hat shop doesn't have anything in natural.
Does anyone know if the OR on the left is accurate for the natural color?

I've been trying to decide which color of OR RD to get. I watched this video and one of the commenters says the hat on the left is the natural color. After searching and searching through images, I can't decide what the actual color is. My closest hat shop doesn't have anything in natural.
Does anyone know if the OR on the left is accurate for the natural color?

The lighting seems a little dodgy there for color accuracy. Here's a link to a post of a Stetson Racine in natural. I have one of these and the color looks accurate in these pics to me.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/stetson-racine.96149/

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
^Great! Thank you, this is very helpful. Going to go with natural.
I'm a big fan of the natural felt, although both of mine are custom lids, one from Gannon and the other from Black Sheep Hat Works. I think natural is more taupe in color, but can run more to brown at times.
Gannon Natural_Slate_02.jpeg

BSHW_04.jpeg

I'm a big fan of the natural felt, although both of mine are custom lids, one from Gannon and the other from Black Sheep Hat Works. I think natural is more taupe in color, but can run more to brown at times.
View attachment 256311
View attachment 256313

You know, in looks and felt texture that Gannon looks every bit as nice as the BSHW. Gannon really does make a great hat at a great price...and without the year(s) long queue.

I count that Gannon as one of my very best hats. Even though I love both of them, If I sold one of those, it wouldn't be the Gannon.

I just sent BSHW a deposit and started the clock on my wait. I only went with him for a hand dyed color. Was bummed I couldn’t get both the hand dyed color and the Pinnacle edge on the same hat.

View attachment 256311
View attachment 256313

There are some differences between Winchester Natural and Stetson Natural. I'll have to get some shots in the light.

Royce Bloom

New in Town
Hey, if you get a chance to take and post the aforementioned comparison pics this weekend (or whenever really), I’d love to see them. I’ve been eyeing something in natural felt and would like to see Stetson vs Winchester felt.

There are some differences between Winchester Natural and Stetson Natural. I'll have to get some shots in the light.

Old Gus

New in Town

Old Gus

New in Town
Sorry to interfere in this thread but i am having trouble posting a new message. I'm new here and trying to decide between an OR or a Stratoliner w/ Cattleman crease. I've heard so much about the difficulty fitting the OR because of the low crown and crease style--especially when buying via mail order. I would greatly appreciate any tips, tricks, observations, opinions etc. about getting a proper fit for my 7 5/8 head.
Much appreciated,
Old Gus

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112