Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

This is accurate for color in sunlight. It has a bit of shading throughout. @Bamaboots identified it best as Dun.

IMG_1304.jpg

IMG_1303.jpg

IMG_1305.jpg

IMG_1309.jpg

MichaelSeed

New in Town
I've never touched a stetson in person but I love the classic look of open roads and how it seems to be a mark of distinction to reshape them to make it one of a kind.

I've been browsing online market places looking for deals and I have a question about the quality of stetson felt. You guys all seem to be very familiar with stetson. Are modern 6X's good quality felt or should I only look for vintage? I read that the X means it's a mix of wool, rabbit, and beaver. Is 6X felt more soft like rabbit and beaver or is it very wool heavy?

I've never touched a stetson in person but I love the classic look of open roads and how it seems to be a mark of distinction to reshape them to make it one of a kind.

I've been browsing online market places looking for deals and I have a question about the quality of stetson felt. You guys all seem to be very familiar with stetson. Are modern 6X's good quality felt or should I only look for vintage? I read that the X means it's a mix of wool, rabbit, and beaver. Is 6X felt more soft like rabbit and beaver or is it very wool heavy?

Thre is more to consider when comparing vintage to modern. Obviously, the felt is likely better, more malleable, and likely the workmanship is superior to modern Stetsons. Also to consider is that modern ORs are much atiffer and the crowns have been preshaped, which makes it difficult to put that distinctive mark on it you refer to. Additionally, some of the dimensions are different. I'm pretty sure if you pop the crown on a modern OR you'll find a crown height much lower than the 5 1/2" you wold typically find on a vintage OR, and I believe it is blocked with more taper than the old ones, as well.

Lastly, price. What's a new 6X going for? Says here MSRP is $219.00, but you can definitely get them cheaper (one2miniranch.com will sell you one for $167.95). Depending on your size, you could get a nice old 3X OR wih a Last Drop liner or Royal Deluxe for less than that, perhaps even under $100.00 if you're perserverant and lucky.

And to answer a question you may have, yes, a 1950s, or even 1960s 3X OR is a better quality felt than a modern 6X. Certainly the workmanship is superior.

If you are preferring a new OR & don't have a problem with a 4-1/4 crown, the new OR Pure is a pretty nice hat I hear. Several color choices. Much better felt than the 6X & lately with a little patience you can catch a 20% off sale pretty easy making it a reasonable new hat choice.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
ORs are relatively more available as a vintage hat, though many sellers merely think their hat is an OR. The current dress weight Royal Deluxe is rabbit/hare/beaver, not sure of the 6x composition, but I don't think there is any wool in it. I don't own a current felt OR, but I've seen them in-person in stores. I like the natural and sage colors myself.

Some people like the firmer modern felt, but most of us like vintage more. It’s all personal preferences. From the current lineup, the Pure Open Road (100% beaver) or the Royal De Luxe would be my choice over the 6X. Unfortunately, the crowns are too low for me on all of them.

There isn’t any wool content with n the current 6X hats. The US Wool Products Labeling Act from 1939 defines “wool” and requires that the factory labels disclose the wool content. No such law for fur felt composition. I’m not sure if there is any beaver content in the current 6X, but it is fur felt: rabbit and/or hare with maybe some beaver…but I think not.

James McMahon

New in Town
Need help here, please. Does anyone know of a version of the OR (need not be Stetson, but same proportions, Cattleman crown) in straw for summer but with a more classically Western/Cowboy shape to the brim; dipped down in front and back, and with mild curl on the sides? This Miller "Ranger" looks close, but it has a 3" brim. It's only a quarter inch, but I really would like the OR's smaller brim Miller hats Rancher Straw style 192 brim is 3 - crown is 4.5 - great band - $95.jpg . Thanks!

Vicshalls

New in Town
PXL_20210729_110244501.jpg
PXL_20210729_110226071.jpg
PXL_20210729_115403454.jpg
PXL_20210729_110143463.jpg
PXL_20210729_115403454.jpg
Hello all, I am new to this group. Back in March I went to visit some family I had not seen since I was a kid. Seems when my dad passed back in 1978 my mom gave a cousin my dad's old hat. He had been holding on to it for the day we got to see eachother again. He gifted it back to me. When I got home I hightailed it to a hat store here and they sent it off to be restored. After almost 4 months I got the hat back. Best I can tell it is an OR. The hat band was still in pretty good condition so they were able to use it again. Which I wanted. Would love to hear y'alls opinion on the hat. Does anyone know what Bull Dog shape is? I googled it but could not find anything on it. I can't wait to wear it out somewhere.

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 350515 View attachment 350516 View attachment 350506 View attachment 350514 View attachment 350506 Hello all, I am new to this group. Back in March I went to visit some family I had not seen since I was a kid. Seems when my dad passed back in 1978 my mom gave a cousin my dad's old hat. He had been holding on to it for the day we got to see eachother again. He gifted it back to me. When I got home I hightailed it to a hat store here and they sent it off to be restored. After almost 4 months I got the hat back. Best I can tell it is an OR. The hat band was still in pretty good condition so they were able to use it again. Which I wanted. Would love to hear y'alls opinion on the hat. I can't wait to wear it out somewhere.

Not an OR, no bound edge, 3ply ribbon instead of 4 ligne grosgrain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko