Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Hey Guys:

I'm about to have Michael Gannon work on an open Crown open road style clone. I want it to be the traditional open crown Truman type. He's asking me crown height and brim width, and I'm not sure what to tell him.

Does anyone know the traditional measurements of the old ORs from the 50s era?

Thanks!

50s 3X OR

20230516_214540.jpg 20230516_214700.jpg

Hey Guys:

I'm about to have Michael Gannon work on an open Crown open road style clone. I want it to be the traditional open crown Truman type. He's asking me crown height and brim width, and I'm not sure what to tell him.

Does anyone know the traditional measurements of the old ORs from the 50s era?

Thanks!

By the ‘50s the crowns were often getting shorter so the 5 ½ to 5 ⅝ inches could be right. Personally, I’d go with a 6” open crown…actually, Gannon’s crowns for me are over 6” because my size )61.5 LO) needs more brim and more crown to keep proportions looking right. I think most anyone can pull off a 6” open crown when creased as you’re planning.

Tacocaster

New in Town
Hi Chad. Welcome to the forum. If you can it would be interesting to know the crown height ( open or creased) on your new OR, & a side by side comparison of dimensions & felt impressions with the OR Pure? Perhaps friends in the plant can help with facts on the OR Pure?
The dimensions are identical to the modern Open Road. Stiffness is about the same as a modern 6X Open Road. Last time I was at Herb’s Hats in San Antonio, TX they had one in 7 3/8. Sadly, you could tell it had been there a while and had been tried on by many.

Last edited:
Hi Chad. Welcome to the forum. If you can it would be interesting to know the crown height ( open or creased) on your new OR, & a side by side comparison of dimensions & felt impressions with the OR Pure? Perhaps friends in the plant can help with facts on the OR Pure?
The dimensions are identical to the modern Open Road. Stiffness is about the same as a modern 6X Open Road. Last time I was at Herb’s Hats in San Antonio, TX they had one in 7 3/8. Sadly, you could tell it had been there a while and had been tried on by many.
I’ve only ever seen & handled one Pure. Welcome to the forum.

PDXHAT

One of the Regulars
I'm barely 6', and long and lean (although not as lean as I used to be!). 5 1/2 and 2 3/4 feels right to me.

Michael is going to felt it with a more vintage feel, lighter weight than modern hats. I love my Akubras and modern Stetsons but sometimes they feel like wearing a helmet, especially Akubra, haha.

I'm really enjoying a few modern Trilby style unlined hats I have from Borsalino and Lock, they are a really fine, lightweight open crown rabbit fur, and that's the feel I'm going for. I have a beater that I think is an old Strat that I thrifted a few years ago, it's prob from the 50s, the lining is torn, the sweatband gone, but it's soft and it is just a pleasure to stick on my head to walk the dog, etc. The above mentioned Lock and Borsalinos are the closest thing I've found in a modern hat to that feel, and I'm hoping I can get somewhat close with this hat, at least in the ballpark.

Thanks everyone for your help. Pics when it's done.

DougC

Practically Family
I grew up in Conroe—sort of East Texas. I can’t confirm…but that’s a great OR. for the life of me, I can’t keep the brim on my ORs stock—they always end up with a curl!

Teej

New in Town
General question on footwear choices with the Open Road by Stetson. Clearly cowboy boots are the norm, but what else do people wear with theirs? Other types of boots? Work boots? Dress boots? Due to the old advertising, dress shoes? Converse sneakers? Other sneakers? Very interested in the pairings to dress up or down this legendary hat.
I think the hat can pair with many types of shoes & sneakers/ hi-tops, etc. Versatility & imagination. T-shit, collared shirt, blazer, etc. I just got my 1st Open Road toast & Stratoliner silverbelly- I’m so happy!!!

Teej

New in Town
This hat was posted here a few weeks back. The attached form was for the dealer/retailer and the pricing is per dozen.

The size tag configuration does narrow it down to the very end of the 1950s or the very start of the 1960s. Most of the felt Stetson was making at this time was of substandard and ever lessening quality, but still better than what came after it. If you’re after a great felt Open Road you should keep looking. If you want a decent vintage hat and the price is fair this might be alright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
What would be a “decent price?”

What would be a “decent price?”

That’s for you to decide. I’m not trying to dodge the question, but it’s so personal and subjective that I’m reluctant to give a number. I don’t have much affinity for Stetsons of this era. At this size I think you should hold out for a better/older one, but that’s just me.

I’m new to this site & conversation- i just purchased my 1st OR & Stratoliner. Previously, I wore Royal Deluxe Homburg in grey. Who is Art?

Art Fawcett is a now-retired hatter who was located in the NE US. He produced coveted hats of high quality and was (is) an active member here.

Teej

New in Town
This is a wonderful hat my friend Bowen @AbbaDatDeHat alerted me to. It was just listed as a size “⅝” but a quick question confirmed it was a 7 ⅝. Stetson The Sovereign Twenty Open Road with 2 ¾” brim and a 5 ½ to 5 ⅝ inch open crown. It’s a bit tight on me so I’m hoping to use eBay to convert it into another Gannon.

View attachment 505784 View attachment 505785 View attachment 505786 View attachment 505787 View attachment 505788 View attachment 505789 View attachment 505790 View attachment 505791 View attachment 505792 View attachment 505793
Beautiful

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff