Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

Mighty44

One Too Many
IMG_0195.jpeg
IMG_0196.jpeg
IMG_0194.jpeg
IMG_0180.jpeg
IMG_0183.jpeg

IMG_0192.jpeg

I just picked up this OR 25 originally sold ny Shudde Bros. I was really curious about the 25 since I recently got a Royal Deluxe OR that is soft like a Borsalino, with such a thin, supple sweatband that it immediately molds itself to your head—a remarkably nice, comfortable hat but not at all what I expect from an Open Road.

So knowing that the RD OR cost $12.95, I was curious just how nice a hat that cost twice as much would be.

This one it turns out is not soft and fancy feeling—other than the fancy interior bow it just seems very much like your typical OR—a slightly stiff, thick felt hat you would trust to get you through just about any situation. So I’m a little mystified by the quality designations and would love hearing from any of the experts on the subject.

That said, this is absolutely my new favorite OR—it took this crease perfectly, has just the right amount of flange and is an awesome color—hard to capture in the photos but it is a slightly yellow/green shade of tan, and fits really well. It’s also beat up enough that I won’t be tempted to baby it, unlike the RD. This will be a go to hat for many years.

Cheers,

David

Attachments

• IMG_0194.jpeg
    IMG_0194.jpeg
    279.6 KB · Views: 44

hambone71

Practically Family
@Mighty44 I wish I could tell you more about the felt but I can definitely tell you that it is a fine looking hat. Congrats on that score! I had been interested in some 25s in the past but they're usually shaped in a cattleman's crease and appeared to be too stiff for easy reshaping. My search continues.

Mighty44

One Too Many
@Mighty44 I wish I could tell you more about the felt but I can definitely tell you that it is a fine looking hat. Congrats on that score! I had been interested in some 25s in the past but they're usually shaped in a cattleman's crease and appeared to be too stiff for easy reshaping. My search continues.
Thanks you, sir! I’ve steamed r out a couple of cattleman creases over the years with no issue, but they were pretty shallow and the hats were in good shape to begin with.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Lounge. You have a lot to explore regarding hats, so pick a few topics of interest and dig in. As one of your Texas neighbors all I can say is find a couple of inexpensive, well ventilated straw knock-around hats for this brutal heat and pray for an early fall! Comanche county had the state high one day last week at 112.

I am new here and don’t have much to report….I live in central Texas where it is HOT…I bought silverbelly OR 6X for the fall and can’t wait to wear it….also bought a gray Stratoliner…very happy with both!

20200622_140312.jpg

I am new here and don’t have much to report….I live in central Texas where it is HOT…I bought silverbelly OR 6X for the fall and can’t wait to wear it….also bought a gray Stratoliner…very happy with both!

I second Randy’s advice on a well-ventilated straw hat for summer. If you’re going to be out much in the sun I’d go with a brim wider than what the OR gives you. If you are interested in a straw dress hat, the vented OR “straw” hats are a great option.

Welcome! Make sure you post photos with your hats when it’s cool enough to wear them.

Creeley

New in Town
I posted recently about the mystery mid-ribbon, bound-edge OPS era Stetson that I purchased while hunting for a Silverbelly Open Road. Well, right after receiving the first hat, I found what I had been looking for.

Photos were rough, but I am very happy after a thorough brushing, sponging, and a light steaming. Only quibbles are a single black dot directly on the front that won’t budge and which perhaps looks more prominent after cleaning the rest of the felt, and I sure wish it still had the wind trolley. C’est la vie!

Supple leather, felt is much denser and heavier than the mystery Stetson but still creases easily by hand without the aid of steam. It’s a Royal Deluxe model, and I assume mid 50s or early 60s from similar boxes and sweats I have seen elsewhere? There is a plastic liner cap, which I associate strongly with the 60s, maybe errantly.

Edit: the bashed photo at the end is post-cleaning, with the others being just after a brush. Nearly all discoloration came out in the end!

IMG_0940.jpeg IMG_0932.jpeg IMG_0906.jpeg IMG_0909.jpeg IMG_0910.jpeg IMG_0915.jpeg IMG_0934.jpeg

Last edited:

Mighty44

One Too Many
I posted recently about the mystery mid-ribbon, bound-edge OPS era Stetson that I purchased while hunting for a Silverbelly Open Road. Well, right after receiving the first hat, I found what I had been looking for.

Photos were rough, but I am very happy after a thorough brushing, sponging, and a light steaming. Only quibbles are a single black dot directly on the front that won’t budge and which perhaps looks more prominent after cleaning the rest of the felt, and I sure wish it still had the wind trolley. C’est la vie!

Supple leather, felt is much denser and heavier than the mystery Stetson but still creases easily by hand without the aid of steam. It’s a Royal Deluxe model, and I assume mid 50s or early 60s from similar boxes and sweats I have seen elsewhere? There is a plastic liner cap, which I associate strongly with the 60s, maybe errantly.

View attachment 539111 View attachment 539112 View attachment 539113 View attachment 539114 View attachment 539115 View attachment 539116 View attachment 539117
Congrats—I’ve got a RDOR that I love. It’s not a stiff work hat like most other ORs and is very comfortable to wear, so somehow feels more casual and easy going. A real pleasure to put on.

Enjoy!

Creeley

New in Town
Congrats—I’ve got a RDOR that I love. It’s not a stiff work hat like most other ORs and is very comfortable to wear, so somehow feels more casual and easy going. A real pleasure to put on.

Enjoy!
Thanks! That was definitely my hope going into the purchase, and it worked out wonderfully. I strongly prefer a softer hand for the same reason - a quick, imperfect bash feels more natural and less affected to me. And it’s the most comfortable hat I’ve worn, to boot.

Creeley

New in Town
Without seeing the production tags, I’d say mid’-50’s and no chance of a 60’s date. Nice hat
Thank you, and thanks for the help dating it! The band looked 50s to me, but the box and presence of plastic liner guard had me thinking it may be later.

The reorder tag is the only labeling I found under the sweat, and no size tag was present:

IMG_0908.jpeg

Montana SERE Nate

New in Town
I am looking to buy my first open road. I like to reshape and bring old hats back to life. What would you consider the holy grail as far as felt goes on these? I am not all that familiar with the different levels of quality on these hats. Any that I should avoid?

I am looking to buy my first open road. I like to reshape and bring old hats back to life. What would you consider the holy grail as far as felt goes on these? I am not all that familiar with the different levels of quality on these hats. Any that I should avoid?

A pre-50s 7X Clear Beaver is likely the nicest, but you'll pay a sweet price for it. 50s 3X ORs are pretty nice and fairly plentiful. 40s/50s Royal Deluxe qualities are more of a dress weight (lighter and not as stiff), but can be tough to find and command a higher price. Buy nothing after 1965 or so. I'm a big fan of the 50s 3X ORs myself. Pretty easy to get your hands on and pretty affordable.

Now, somebody is likely to come along and post a lengthy explanation of how qualities differ by year and how difficult it is to compare them and yada yada, but I think that's a good guideline, especially for a newer convert to the cause.

Montana SERE Nate

New in Town
Thanks! I have been looking on e-bay and posh quite a bit. Any other tips on finding them?
A pre-50s 7X Clear Beaver is likely the nicest, but you'll pay a sweet price for it. 50s 3X ORs are pretty nice and fairly plentiful. 40s/50s Royal Deluxe qualities are more of a dress weight (lighter and not as stiff), but can be tough to find and command a higher price. Buy nothing after 1965 or so. I'm a big fan of the 50s 3X ORs myself. Pretty easy to get your hands on and pretty affordable.

Now, somebody is likely to come along and post a lengthy explanation of how qualities differ by year and how difficult it is to compare them and yada yada, but I think that's a good guideline, especially for a newer convert to the cause

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Thanks! I have been looking on e-bay and posh quite a bit. Any other tips on finding them?

There are differing opinions on whether or not it has to be marked as an OR to be an OR. Generally I say marked, but my Stetson 100 doesn't say OR anywhere on the hat, only on the tag. But a lot of sellers will say anything is an Open Road. Double check the measurements!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner