Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

pretzel

New in Town
BTJepson said:
Here's a shot of me and my modern Open Road in front of of one of LBJ's Lincolns out at his ranch in June. I'm a proud owner of my OR, but I really want to get my hands on a vintage one. This modern one is stiff as a board, but I love it. I can only imagine how nice a vintage, buttery soft one would feel. I always get asked about the hat when I wear it and it does get noticed!

LBJ's OR is behind a glass case in the "museum" at the Broken Spoke. :whistling

Hard or soft shell?

BTJepson said:
This modern one is stiff as a board, but I love it. I can only imagine how nice a vintage, buttery soft one would feel.

Since the OR was made part of the Western Hat line up at Stetson it receives the same treatment as the other Western styles where the felt is treated with Shellac to stiffen it up and retain the shaping of bash and brim.

Over time the shellac shatters and the felt becomes pliable but application of steam will reform the shellac and it will stiffen up again. (Frankie Lamb experienced that recently with one of his OR clones.) Western Hat places have hat stiffener to revitalize the shellac when shattered.

A theory:
Shellac disolves in alcohol so it is to soak and rinse the shellac out of the felt if you had an inexpensive supply of alcohol. (I think both wood and rubbing types will work.) Art Fawcett did it but used a total immersion approach which took a lot of alcohol. Perhaps an approach of soaking the hat and placing it in a zip lock bag for a while to disolve the shellac and then a series of light rinses might take less alcohol than immersion, a nd allow the use of clean alcohol to rinse away the shellac. Seems like it should work BUT I haven't done it and it's only in the doing we find out if it is a go or a no go.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
John in Covina said:
Over time the shellac shatters and the felt becomes pliable but application of steam will reform the shellac and it will stiffen up again.

That's very interesting, and would explain why my 3x beaver, which is older than my Royal Deluxe, is not quite as 'pliable' - for some reason the shellac simply held up better (or maybe it was re-steamed to rejuvinate it). It would also explain why my mid-50s 3x has a stiff brim, but pliable crown - brim was probably shellac'd more.

Seem like a reasonable theory?

Justdog

Practically Family
LBJ OR

BTJepson said:
Here's a shot of me and my modern Open Road in front of of one of LBJ's Lincolns out at his ranch in June. I'm a proud owner of my OR, but I really want to get my hands on a vintage one. This modern one is stiff as a board, but I love it. I can only imagine how nice a vintage, buttery soft one would feel. I always get asked about the hat when I wear it and it does get noticed!

IMG_0515.jpg

Personally I think you look great in that classic OR Cattleman. You prompted me to put on my 25 that I seldom wear. It is blocked stiff in a bull nose classic cattleman. When I got it I pushed out the crown hoping I could loosen it up and like stated here about shellac a big puff of dust came up. It is still stiff and will remain the classic block it is.

redhawks2

One of the Regulars
Okay, here's my most recently acquired OR. It's a 7-1/4 LO which I can can wear as well as a regular oval. The LO will see-saw a bit when I first put it on but then conforms and all is well. I like that the LO doesn't press up against my forehead so tight thereby giving me a little breathing room, as it were.
OR005.jpg
OR002.jpg
OR003.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I believe that the rectangular 3x beaver logo on the sweat was put into use at the end of the 60s or into the 70s. Someone else can probably get you closer.

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
redhawks2 said:
Byrnie Utz of Seattle is still in business. One of the few old fashioned downtown hat stores left. Stepping into that store last October is what launched me on my interest in fur felt fedoras and related hats.

I know that doesn't help you date the hat, but so many of the hat stores whose names are stamped on sweat bands are long gone, but not Byrnie Utz. And it's still at that address.

Roninjedi

One of the Regulars
Nice to see another Austinite on the Lounge. Maybe we'll run into each other at The Hat Box on 6th Street some day. The OR with the classic car in the background is a fantastic shot.

illumin8em

A-List Customer
I just can not get enough of these open roads. the first time that i saw one i was hired to follow a fella while he was touring near my home state and photograph him playing on stage as well as just hanging around. he wore the hat day and night for three days. just as i was wearing a hickory striped newsboy. ever since i have been ogling the hat. i think the cattleman crease is very sharp, but do not think it will work with the shape of my face. it is the only thing keeping me from buying one. it is crazy that here in my area we do not have one hat store. i hate buying sight unseen. oh, and the version that i had an full of was straw, not felt

pointless post, i know

Inusuit

A-List Customer
illumin8em said:
I just can not get enough of these open roads. the first time that i saw one i was hired to follow a fella while he was touring near my home state and photograph him playing on stage as well as just hanging around. he wore the hat day and night for three days. just as i was wearing a hickory striped newsboy. ever since i have been ogling the hat. i think the cattleman crease is very sharp, but do not think it will work with the shape of my face. it is the only thing keeping me from buying one. it is crazy that here in my area we do not have one hat store. i hate buying sight unseen. oh, and the version that i had an full of was straw, not felt

pointless post, i know

Welcome to the Lounge, and not pointless at all. If you opt for a vintage Open Road or one of the clones, most can easily be re-creased to fit your face. I understand your reluctance to purchase a hat sight unseen. I've purchase several hats on Ebay. If you are careful and ask questions, you can be fairly confident in your purchase. Check out the Akubra thread on this forum. Lots of folks have purchased the Akubra Campdraft, which is very close to vintage ORs. It comes open crown, meaning you can with a little steam and patience crease it to your desire.

illumin8em

A-List Customer
Inusuit said:
Welcome to the Lounge, and not pointless at all. If you opt for a vintage Open Road or one of the clones, most can easily be re-creased to fit your face. I understand your reluctance to purchase a hat sight unseen. I've purchase several hats on Ebay. If you are careful and ask questions, you can be fairly confident in your purchase. Check out the Akubra thread on this forum. Lots of folks have purchased the Akubra Campdraft, which is very close to vintage ORs. It comes open crown, meaning you can with a little steam and patience crease it to your desire.

thank you, i will have a look

illumin8em

A-List Customer
gtdean48 said:
What is your size? Lots of vintage ORs come available here in the Lounge...

7 1/2". Vintage is always nice, but i am not particular with regard to the hat. i would even be interested in one in the straw just to give it a shot.

illumin8em said:
7 1/2". Vintage is always nice, but i am not particular with regard to the hat. i would even be interested in one in the straw just to give it a shot.
7 1/2 is a rare vintage size, but they come up. Take a close look at Akubra Campdraft, the Aussie version of the Open Road & very close to vintage specs. I love my 3 & I have 6 vintage Stetson ORs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner