Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
jimmy the lid said:
Here are some photos of a 3X Open Road that arrived at the end of last summer. Posted them in the New Hats thread, but I think they belong here. This provides a good example of a vintage OR in its natural state -- never worn or creased, open crown condition...

OpenCrown-28.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

I dream heavenly dreams of this hat..

jimmy the lid said:
... This provides a good example of a vintage OR in its natural state -- never worn or creased, open crown condition...
A true Holy Grail hat for sure! Did you happen to get the crown size before you creased it? What is the brim width on that one? Thanks Chief. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

rlk

I'll Lock Up
7X CB Open Road

On the opposite end of the condition spectrum, this hat was worn like crazy.
2 rounds of cleaning at Optimo after my own attempt. This one had a Telescope crease for a long time. Black specks are embedded grit not moth damage.
4392478641_146e2290d6_b.jpg
4392479099_c47184aa1b_b.jpg
4392497875_a9cd4f2dd6_b.jpg

4393387742_aff39f1e81.jpg

TomS

One Too Many
jimmy the lid said:
Here are some photos of a 3X Open Road that arrived at the end of last summer. Posted them in the New Hats thread, but I think they belong here. This provides a good example of a vintage OR in its natural state -- never worn or creased, open crown condition...

OpenCrown-28.jpg

Liner-28.jpg

3X-1-1.jpg

3X-3.jpg

3X-2-1.jpg

3X-5.jpg

3X-4.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

WOW, thats an incredible hat!

GClark

One of the Regulars
Antique store find

Also over in new hats, but thought you guys would like a look.
Any guesses as to the age?

Antique store find yesterday (my first)
Stetson Royal Deluxe Open Road

The somewhat crushed cattleman's crease it came with
StetsonRD_OR2.jpg

As it is now after some steam...
StetsonRD_OR3.jpg

Other shots
StetsonRD_OR1.jpg

StetsonRD_OR5.jpg

StetsonRD_OR6.jpg

Forgive the expression - looking into the sun.
StetsonRD_OR.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
GClark -- great lookin' lid. You did a very nice job of converting the crease on that one, and it looks great on you, as well. :eusa_clap Congrats!

Not to go down the path of The One True Open Road, but I think that your lid differs from an OR in that the ribbon is a western style "3-cord" and differs style-wise from an OR ribbon. What's interesting about yours is that it is an example of a Royal DeLuxe quality in a western lid. I have a Royal Stetson super thin ribbon, which is a western style, as well. In my experience, you just don't see many Stetson westerns show up in these dress line quality designations.

Anyway -- here is another example of this type of lid (previously posted in gtdean's Other Open Roads thread):

jimmy the lid said:
Here is a Stetson 3X that, due to the 3-ply ribbon, I tend to think of as my "western" OR:

3X-1.jpg

For gtd's purposes, this probably qualifies as an OR "cousin"...

Cheers,
JtL

rlk

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
GClark -- great lookin' lid. You did a very nice job of converting the crease on that one, and it looks great on you, as well. :eusa_clap Congrats!

Not to go down the path of The One True Open Road, but I think that your lid differs from an OR in that the ribbon is a western style "3-cord" and differs style-wise from an OR ribbon. What's interesting about yours is that it is an example of a Royal DeLuxe quality in a western lid. I have a Royal Stetson super thin ribbon, which is a western style, as well. In my experience, you just don't see many Stetson westerns show up in these dress line quality designations.

Anyway -- here is another example of this type of lid (previously posted int gtdean's Other Open Roads thread):

Cheers,
JtL
And this 3-cord Royal Stetson Deluxe:
3354266859_cb11d0dbc2.jpg

__________ No interest in my 7XCB Open Road? What is it--Porkpie?;)

GClark

One of the Regulars
jimmy the lid said:

Anyway -- here is another example of this type of lid (previously posted int gtdean's Other Open Roads thread):

Cheers,
JtL

Thanks JtL -

I had not seen (or noticed anyway) other pics of the thin 3 cord ribbons.
Any idea of the age of my hat?

Looking under the sweat, I found the following

Stetson_OR_pricetag.jpg

hard to see it, but the price tag says Dunlaps 12.50

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
GClark said:
Any idea of the age of my hat?

With "stars" in the upper lefthand quadrant of the Stetson crest on both the liner and the sweat; and with what appears to be an oil silk liner protector -- I think circa 1951 isn't a bad bet on this one. ;)

Cheers,
JtL

GClark

One of the Regulars
jimmy the lid said:
With "stars" in the upper lefthand quadrant of the Stetson crest on both the liner and the sweat; and with what appears to be an oil silk liner protector -- I think circa 1951 isn't a bad bet on this one. ;)

Cheers,
JtL
Thanks Jimmy!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
It reminds me of my Casual, which once had a liner as nice as yours. It died long before we ever met.
GClark said:
Also over in new hats, but thought you guys would like a look.
Any guesses as to the age?

Antique store find yesterday (my first)
Stetson Royal Deluxe Open Road

portolan

A-List Customer
Has an Open Road ever looked better

than on my lovely bride? This one came courtesy of Harp Player Gene. She loves her Westerns....Hopefully we will have a few more from Gene in the near future. Now we need someone to take pics of both of us in our ORs!

Jeanne%20Stetson2.jpg

Jeanne%20Stetson.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy