Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
You must be (factory) branded to be a member of the One True Open Road.

You're either with us or against us.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great post and info Jimmy. Also, I think it is significant that Stetson still markets the Open Road, refers to it as the Open Road in its production line and marketing, but does not stamp the sweat with the OR name or logo. It is now identified on the paper tag on the inside of the sweat as Open Road. I have two models: one probably middle/late 60s and one bought last year (in black). Neither is stamped but the tag inside both lists the model as Open Road.

Stan

A-List Customer
Dinerman said:
A 7x and a 100 are quite different. They were also both produced simultaneously- the 100 did not replace the 7x.

Hi,

Interesting. There have been others who have posted that the the 7x was aka a 50 and was the same as the 100 without the fancy box. I once thought that the 7x and the 100 were different hats, and then was corrected that this was not so. Now, I'm corrected back to what I thought was the case in the first place.

Well, from this point on I will take all contradictory information with a grain of salt the size of a cow lick. I'll just have to come up with my own examples of each and figure it out for myself. lol

later!

Stan

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Stan said:
There have been others who have posted that the the 7x was aka a 50 and was the same as the 100 without the fancy box.

I'm not aware of anyone who ever posted this. If they did, they are 100% incorrect.

Cheers,
JtL

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Size 7 with the smallest OR stamp I've seen. Heading to classifieds.
CIMG1541.jpg
CIMG1539.jpg
CIMG1537.jpg

Justdog

Practically Family
100 and 7x

Dinerman said:
A 7x and a 100 are quite different. They were also both produced simultaneously- the 100 did not replace the 7x.

Not sure if this refers to clear beaver 7x and clear beaver 100. As I have 2 western 7x clear and a 100 which is a 100 but is not stamped clear beaver. To which are we comparing the 2 models? My hundred is just perfect and so are the 7x. The only real noticeable or obvious visual difference is the silver gray color of the 2 7x compared to the tan 100. In all fairness not stamped open roads. The brims are less than 3 inches. Clearly the forum has distinguished the finishing difference between the 7x and the 100 and I can support this with my 3 hats. In fairness to the models they are different hats. Of course this will just give me an excuse to quest some more :)

Justdog

Practically Family

Chinaski said:
Okay then, what is the 100 in parentheses? I guess I was thinking (apparently foolishly) that a Stetson 100 cost $100 back when this hat was made.

Yes it cost 100 dollars, Or at least was marketed at that, seller may sell for less.

Michaelshane

One Too Many
Why a dollar sign and decimal point on the $672.00 but not on the 100?I think the hat was just called a 100.There's no way the hat could be 100.00 for the entire time the hat was made,unless the quality of the hat went down every year.

Justdog

Practically Family

Michaelshane said:
Why a dollar sign and decimal point on the $672.00 but not on the 100?I think the hat was just called a 100.There's no way the hat could be 100.00 for the entire time the hat was made,unless the quality of the hat went down every year.
Very excellent point, and where to find that information? From the release to the end of the (100's) marketing life. Although this is the OR thread and is being thrown a bit off topic. Vintage 100 open road and 7x OR are in this thread. Someone commented on my 100 a long time ago and it was the finish and craftsmanship that identified it as a 100 as well as the 100 in the sweat and liner. Have seen OR,s with the same liner. I would have a hard time with the block in mine morphing it into a fedora style OR. Mine has Philadephia USA on the manufacturing red and white label under the sweat and is number 102. No price. Lots of posts here list the marketing prices. Would be nice to see a history of the evolution and demise of the purest form of the 100 as we all seem have a fairly agreeable view of what it was and how we see it on the lounge. I will just have to keep my eyes open for 2 OR.s in my size:p of 7x and 100 qualities.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Michaelshane said:
...There's no way the hat could be 100.00 for the entire time the hat was made,unless the quality of the hat went down every year.

Not every year, but quality definitely degraded as time went by. Which is why some vintage Stetson buyers' first choice is older hats.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Justdog said:
Very excellent point, and where to find that information? From the release to the end of the (100's) marketing life. Although this is the OR thread and is being thrown a bit off topic. Vintage 100 open road and 7x OR are in this thread. Someone commented on my 100 a long time ago and it was the finish and craftsmanship that identified it as a 100 as well as the 100 in the sweat and liner. Have seen OR,s with the same liner. I would have a hard time with the block in mine morphing it into a fedora style OR. Mine has Philadephia USA on the manufacturing red and white label under the sweat and is number 102. No price. Lots of posts here list the marketing prices. Would be nice to see a history of the evolution and demise of the purest form of the 100 as we all seem have a fairly agreeable view of what it was and how we see it on the lounge. I will just have to keep my eyes open for 2 OR.s in my size:p of 7x and 100 qualities.

Huh?

Justdog

Practically Family

jimmy the lid said:
Meaning???[huh] lol
Re reading?
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=35385

Just checked my 7x and beside the square size tag (long oval) inside the sweat is a small green price tag. R.E Cox Fort Worth $50.00 Stetson. Will check my 100 again but have to be careful!
4 red characters stamped in red on the liner under the sweat of the 100 but cannot make them all out, one is an A and then faded numbers.
If the Bartender would like to move my last few posts to this thread it would be a relief. Thanks
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=35385

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner