Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

CRH

Call Me a Cab
ASY said:
...What should I be looking for and what do the color sheens indicate?

Felt hats will give off different hues in different light. This seems to be most pronounced in lighter shades in my experience. Silver belly in particular because it is about the lightest shade except for white. Notions of silver belly as a color itself can vary from a whiteish, to greyish, to tannish, to a silvery color to begin with. I'm not sure it indicates anything other than curious variation.

Stan

A-List Customer
Hi,

Silver Belly most often has a slight tan tint to it. Other times it has a neutral grey tint. My favorite is when it has a blue/grey tint to it. I never have figured out if this is a natural coloring depending on the fur, or if there is a light dye treatment involved.

Later!

Stan

ASY

New in Town
One more question

I just googled the name of the store that is imprinted on the sweatband of my OR (Olds & King) and found that it was a department store in Portland Oregon that opened in the 1800s and was renamed Rhodes Department Store in the EARLY 50s. My hat has a price tag that says $12.95 but I am under the impression that the price change didn't happen until the LATE 50s. Any thoughts or ideas?

One clue might have to do with the Stetson crest. Mine has a leaf in the upper left corner and the more upright beaver. Remember, I'm new so forgive my novice questions. I'm just trying to get it all figured out.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
I recently won this auction:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290420314024&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT and I got the hat today. It is I would say about a 90/100. Usual day to day soiling and wear. Much nicer felt than any similar-aged OR I've seen. I'll post some better pictures later. But to me that was quite a chunk of money to spend.....I'd just never seen that color before. It's a great hat, but can anyone tell me- did I do O.K.? I'm kind of second-guessing myself now. I just had no need for this hat yet I have no remorse. I think I am finally ate up with hat addiction.

Justdog

Practically Family
Remorse nah!

. It's a great hat, but can anyone tell me- did I do O.K.? I'm kind of second-guessing myself now. I just had no need for this hat yet I have no remorse. I think I am finally ate up with hat addiction.[/QUOTE]

As long as you like it. I have acquired a couple I had second thoughts about but if that happens I either have it on its way for blocking and cleaning right away or put it out of site for a few days. One in particular was pretty out of shape and smelly and I thought what the heck did I bid on this for. But once it was cleaned and blocked it was one of the nicest hats I own, 3x beaver ,beautiful soft felt and the cleaning really transformed the felt. So just let it have some bonding time:) Looks real nice in a hard to find size.:eusa_clap

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the reassurance. It IS a nice hat. And every time I wonder if it was worth the money, I just ask myself, "Have you ever seen an OR that color before? No you have not so shut up!" And being a 4X is is wonderfully soft.

Daoud said:
Thanks for the reassurance. It IS a nice hat. And every time I wonder if it was worth the money, I just ask myself, "Have you ever seen an OR that color before? No you have not so shut up!" And being a 4X is is wonderfully soft.
Given the pin & the sweatband, that is a fairly modern version. But that is also a color not seen much at all which helps your justification. A hat is worth it is to you until you sell it. If you wear it & never sell it, then it is worth what you paid for it. I've got a OR that I bought for a good price but after sending off for renovation, there is no way I can sell it for what I have in it. I can't replace it for that price either. Since I'll just wear it for years & years, it is worth what I have in it. [huh]

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Yeah, it's not very old. I've had several of the silver belly in that model, and they're O.K. Not as good as the really old ones and not as bad as the current ones. This felt is much better than the 3X though, for sure. This one is definitely a keeper. Got a lot of character- the kind it takes a good bit of wearing to develop. Someone saved me the time.

Interesting thing- after the sale the seller sent me an email- she bought this hat at a Hollywood charity auction, right up the road from Universal Studios I guess- she theorized that it was donated by the studio props department or perhaps some celebrity. Kinda fun to wonder about where your old hats have been.

Viper Man

Banned
Can anyone tell me what the typical open crown height is for a vintage OR? Did they vary like brim widths? I am "in line" for a VS and I am heavily considering an Open Road/Strat clone but I am torn on the dimensions. Part of me wants to go big with a 5 3/4" open crown and 2 5/8" brim while part of me wants to reel it in a tad and go 5 1/2" crown & 2 1/2" brim.

Also, what are the main differences between an OR and Strat? I've searched for hours and have never seen it directly expressed other than perhaps the flange of the brim on a strat and the cattleman's crease of an OR. [huh]

Thanks, guys!

Justdog

Practically Family
OR

Viper Man said:
Can anyone tell me what the typical open crown height is for a vintage OR? Did they vary like brim widths? I am "in line" for a VS and I am heavily considering an Open Road/Strat clone but I am torn on the dimensions. Part of me wants to go big with a 5 3/4" open crown and 2 5/8" brim while part of me wants to reel it in a tad and go 5 1/2" crown & 2 1/2" brim.

Also, what are the main differences between an OR and Strat? I've searched for hours and have never seen it directly expressed other than perhaps the flange of the brim on a strat and the cattleman's crease of an OR. [huh]

Thanks, guys!
Pretty sure 2/5/8 2 7/8 are pretty standard OR brims. I would surmise in MHO that Statoliners did not have the felt range that OR.s do. I would also logic out that OR.S had a wider style range. Not to say you could not buy a Stratoliner at the time and if you asked the hatter he would put it in a cattleman crease. That would be stretching it though as you would just choose from a catalogue or display. Marketing. If you are are torn between 2 1/2 and 2 5/8 buy 2 :) In my collection the crown heights vary. A good overall dimension is the 5 1/2 and 2 5/8 which is most utilitarian. My sovereign is a bit over 5 3/4 and quite high the way I wear it. One of the Royal deluxe I have would fit what you are looking for quite well. There are pictures of it here somewhere, here it is. 2 1/2 Brim 5 1/2 crown. ( You taught me something, I thought this was 2 5/8 Hmm 1/2 brim!) This was open and I just put a simple bash and pinch in it. Supersoft and pliable.
RoyalDeluxeORBlueGray2.jpg

Justdog

Practically Family
VS Custom

Viper Man said:
Thanks for the info, Dog! I think I'm leaning towards 5 1/2" crown and 2 5/8" brim.
When you get it make make sure you post lots of pics:). I have been interested in one like that in a different than standard vintage color for quite some time from VS Customs. Go for it!:eusa_clap

buler

I'll Lock Up
3X Beaver Quality The Open Road

Just got this 3X Beaver Quality The Open Road today. Looks to be unworn. Great (again hard to photograph) color. The afternoon sun here seems to always add more blue to the felt. I'd call it a steel grey with a touch of blue. Its kind of in between the flash shot (grey one) and the ones that look more blue.

B

openroad-1.jpg

openroad_3.jpg

openroad_5.jpg

openroad_6.jpg

openroad_7.jpg

openroad_8.jpg

openroad_9.jpg

openroad_10.jpg

openroad_13.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
buler said:
Just got this 3X Beaver Quality The Open Road today. Looks to be unworn. Great (again hard to photograph) color. The afternoon sun here seems to always add more blue to the felt. I'd call it a steel grey with a touch of blue. Its kind of in between the flash shot (grey one) and the ones that look more blue.

B

That's an outstanding find, buler. Looks to be in excellent condition! :eusa_clap What immediately strikes me is that I don't recall ever seeing a 3X in that color. Very nice!

Just to compare notes -- do you recall the OR that I was wearing at Monteagle? Looks similar in color.

That one's a keeper! ;)

Cheers,
JtL

AXL DEMOCRACY

One of the Regulars
Just got my first Open Road which I won on eBay. A real beautiful hat.
It came in its original (?) cattlemen's crease, but I am trying to give it a new block - more of a fedora shape.

But it is real hard. I am not seasoned at this stuff, but am trying my best to re-shape it. Its being very stubborn though!

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
AXL DEMOCRACY said:
Just got my first Open Road which I won on eBay. A real beautiful hat.
It came in its original (?) cattlemen's crease, but I am trying to give it a new block - more of a fedora shape.

But it is real hard. I am not seasoned at this stuff, but am trying my best to re-shape it. Its being very stubborn though!
Have a shop do it for you and it will look sharp. Why mess with it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner