Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The original 'Indy'?

byronic

One of the Regulars
First off, my apologies if this has been done before, but i did a quick search and it seems not to be.
i imagine that many loungers are familiar with the actor/ writer/ producer/ director Leslie Howard, but how many have noticed the striking similarities between his film 'Pimpernel Smith' (U.S. title 'Mister V'), and a certain fedora wearing celluloid hero?
The main character is an archaeologist who also does battle with the Nazis called Professor Horatio Smith- even his name, a combination of an exotic christian name and a commonplace surname seems very familiar, but he smuggles people rather than priceless artifacts from under the noses of the baddies. Hmmmmmm.....

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Of course, Pimpernel Smith is just a modern reworking of The Scarlet Pimpernel, also starring Leslie Howard (The Daffy Duck version was The Purple Pumpernickel, you may remember). I think the original Pimpernel wore a three cornered hat with a plume. And yet . . . and yet . . . you may have something here. Personally, I think Spielberg must have seen the picture of my grandfather, which I use for my avatar.

byronic

One of the Regulars
You are quite correct- apparently Leslie Howard wanted to update his role in the Scarlet Pimpernel & alert audiences as to what was taking place in Europe at the time and funded the project himself, producing, directing and starring in it. i have not seen this film for over 20 years, apart from fuzzy prints with muffled sound on late night free view channels. I wish it were available on dvd.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The_Scarlet_Pumpernickel_Title.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scarlet_Pumpernickel

-dixon cannon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot