Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Orvis/Himel Bros Jacket

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
So I ended up buying one of these during their post holiday sale. I don't normally post new jacket picture threads, but I'm on the fence about keeping it or returning it, so I'd appreciate some opinions. First, I realize the sleeves are too long so no need to focus on that. If I keep it I will have them shortened.

I love everything about it, it's very sharp, fit is great (although the shoulders could be just a tad narrower), etc. etc. except for one thing...the neck hole is very wide, so that the collar doesn't actually touch my neck anywhere. here's lots of room all the way around my neck. So the effect of that looks strange to me, like a pencil neck sticking out of the jacket lol. Anyone familiar with a jacket cut like that? Thoughts? The collar is also very wide and sits high which it kind of accentuates the effect.

What do you think peoples?

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
Great to see one in the wild. It looks great in the hanging shots.

I can see what you mean on the wearing ones though. To me, the whole cut does look a little 'off' somehow. I guess the collar area may well settle down with time.

I think its the combination of that, which does look really quite big, and the overlong arms that make it look either quite costumey or else like you're wearing someone elses jacket. With shorter arms and some time I guess it may well look much better.

I see a photo of one a bit more worn looking in this thread...

12446129_1688117791430737_2116693216_n.jpg

I guess it comes down to the cost of alterations and the gamble of wear on the collar against a similar desgin from another maker, must be a few options at this price bracket, even at sale prices.

Last edited:

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
The collar area looks perfect on the hanger but it doesn't actually wear that way. For some reason when I put it on, the collar area just goes all erect and open all the way around the neck. I was wondering if, like you said, it will calm down with time and wear. But like you said, it's a gamble.

It works great with winter scarves btw, but we don't get a ton of scarf weather here

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Agree with the others. I think you'll find the cuffs and the collar size are connected with each other. Suspect it's a bit too long as well. I'd just return it and chalk this one down to experience. I think we've all been in the same boat: you get something and you really like the way a jacket looks but the size and fit is just off. You just have to bite the bullet and hope that something similar in the right size turns up.

The pics are hard to judge (on my phone) b/c they are stretched. But I agree with the sentiment above. If you have a doubt now, send it back. It will only fester and you'll end up selling it at a loss.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
I should clarify the price, this was $1350. It's not one of their $2600 jackets. It's a strange cut that's for sure. The fit on me through the torso is perfect and very flattering, then the collar area is like an oversized raincoat style which makes me look like I have a pencil neck and a tiny head. Not sure what they were aiming for stylistically. Would be great on a guy that happens to have a slim build but a thick fat neck and large head. Very disappointing

Last edited:

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Will they take returns on sale items? With a sale price north of $1300, I'd say get a custom jacket
from Johnson Leather of SF for about half that or for the same outlay go custom with Thurston.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
Will they take returns on sale items? With a sale price north of $1300, I'd say get a custom jacket
from Johnson Leather of SF for about half that or for the same outlay go custom with Thurston.

Yes, they have an EZ return policy. I wouldn't have bought it if they didn't. I'm good on jackets. I have 5 others that I'm super happy with, so I need another like I need a hole in the head actually.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Everything I've bought from Orvis has been too large. I think it's because they cater to a clientele of older, extremely well-fed customers.. It's vanity-sizing for big boys with cash. I'm a size 38 and I'm pretty trim, but their sizes are always 38-40 (with it being a very large 40), and I've found myself swimming in them. Even their shirts run that way. Yes, the jacket's simply too big.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
That collar opening is wide indeed. Guessing this is the "large" (judging by the tagged "44")?

I'm asking as a "thick fat neck and large head" guy ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails