Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Other Open Roads.....

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I think that I've got an addition to the list. Its a Resistol Waco. It has the correct Open Road, bound, 2 3/4 inch brim, and the correct Open Road crown height and it came with a cattleman's crease. In fact, it looks exactly like a Resistol San Antonio.

I bought it last week from a fellow lounger. At first, he thought it was a San Antonio but later discovered a tag inside the sweatband saying that it's a Waco.

I'll edit this post with some photos, tonight.

AF

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Atticus Finch said:
It has the correct Open Road, bound, 2 3/4 inch brim, and the correct Open Road crown height and it came with a cattleman's crease.
AF

There is no one correct dimension for a Open Road, they are all over the place.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
carouselvic said:
There is no one correct dimension for a Open Road, they are all over the place.

Well, yes, they do vary somewhat from hat to hat, but I must respectfully disagree that their dimensions are "all over the place". For instance, I've never seen an OR with a 3.5 inch brim, nor have I seen one with a 2.25 inch brim. Every Open Road that I've ever encountered had a brim that was between 3 inches and just under 2.75 inches---most being very close to 2.75 inches---depending on hat size and exactly how they were measured.

Admittedly, I haven't measured the crown height of my ORs to see how much vertical variation there is from hat to hat. Every one that I've owned has come to me bashed and I've never wanted to "unbash" them so as to get an accurate measurement.

Anyhow, I think that you would agree that Open Roads have a certain look that is difficult to miss...and it is that "look" that I was referring to.

I also made the statement about "proper" dimension partly because our list currently includes the Resistol Wide Country, which, to me, isn't terribly Open Roadish. It has a 2.25 inch brim and a lower crown than I've ever seen on an OR. In fact, the Wide Country is tiny compared to an OR. It almost appears to be a boy's Open Road, if such ever existed.

AF

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
I have one that is a full 3", two that are 2 3/4", one that is 2 5/8" and one that is 2 1/2". All measured from the top side, butting the ribbon to the furthest point of the binding. As a carpenter by trade I am quite handy with a tape. I know that in the 60's and 70's they shrunk much smaller. I have seen signed OR's on ebay that were 2 1/4" and gtdean48 says he remembers a 2" OR as well.
In The Stetson Book by Snyder, he gives the Open Road measurements as "4 1/2" high at the crown and 2 1/2" wide at the brim." I'm in no way trying to call you a liar, just trying to say they made them in a number of dimensions through the years.

Yep, a friend of the family had a 2" OR that I had for a short period. I still have the box but the hat has since passed on since it was not my size & too stingy for me. I have a 3", 2 7/8", 2 3/4" & 2 5/8" Open Roads.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
carouselvic said:
I have one that is a full 3", two that are 2 3/4", one that is 2 5/8" and one that is 2 1/2". All measured from the top side, butting the ribbon to the furthest point of the binding. As a carpenter by trade I am quite handy with a tape. I know that in the 60's and 70's they shrunk much smaller. I have seen signed OR's on ebay that were 2 1/4" and gtdean48 says he remembers a 2" OR as well.
In The Stetson Book by Snyder, he gives the Open Road measurements as "4 1/2" high at the crown and 2 1/2" wide at the brim." I'm in no way trying to call you a liar, just trying to say they made them in a number of dimensions through the years.

No offense taken! No, no...I certainly didn't think that you were calling me a liar. Truthfully, I guess I just made my point inartfully. What I wanted to say was that the Resistol Waco has that "proper" Open Road look in the same way as does the San Antonio, the Mallory, Dalworth, Campdraft and other Open Road clones that we've discussed. And...if the OR has been produced with a 2" brim, maybe I can be a little happier with my Wide Country, even though I still think that little hat looks a bit silly atop my big 'ol 7 5/8 mellon. :eek:

AF

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Here's the hat.

Geoffshats015-1.jpg

Geoffshats012-1.jpg

Geoffshats011-1.jpg

Geoffshats002-1.jpg

AF

marvelgoose

One of the Regulars
Atticus Finch said:
Here's the hat.

AF

a very nice looking one. Something about the high crown just begs for a longer brim to balance things out. At 6'5", 250#, and 7 3/8 I look just silly in a brim smaller than 2.5" -- which makes scoring a hat on ebay almost impossible!

The List...

Adam Adamajestic
Adam LBJ Style R
Adam Lonestar
Adam Mainliner
Adam Tan Texas (64 L.B.J.K)
Adam Texan
Adam Waco
Akubra Campdraft
Bailey Beaver 20 ??
Beaver Brand River Runner
Biltmore Wilderness
Borsalino Alessandria
Champ Ranger
Churchill Beaver 35 ??
Disney Ranger
Dobbs 20 ???
Dobbs Westward
Dobbs West Open Trail
Dunlap 20 ???
Knox Westlite
LaSalle ???
Lee Corral (JCPenney Marathon, Towncraft, etc.)
Lee Trail
Mallory Dallas
Miller Douglas (Beaver Brand or Biltmore ?)
Penney Marathon
Portis Sterling
Resistol Dalworth
Resistol Saddler
Resistol San Antonio
Resistol The Wide Country
Resistol Waco
Shudde Bros ???
Stephen L. Stetson Open Road
Stevens ??? (Imperial & DeLuxe)
Tanbark 1546
Wormser Texan
Various Store brands (ie Richman Bros, et al)

Thanks AF...

redhawks2

One of the Regulars
I have another hat to add to the OR clone category. I just received an Adam Texarkana off the bay. It's a light tan, has the wind trolley, bound brim, etc. Looks great and I would love to post a picture but I still haven't figured out how to do that!

redhawks2 said:
I have another hat to add to the OR clone category. I just received an Adam Texarkana off the bay. It's a light tan, has the wind trolley, bound brim, etc. Looks great and I would love to post a picture but I still haven't figured out how to do that!
Hmmmmmm.... I don't know about that model of a hat for THIS list. It almost has the word "Arkansas" in it!!!!:eek:

billyspew

One Too Many
redhawks2 said:

PM me if you want help - would love to see the pictures, I think I remember the one you're talking about but had assumed it to be a Mainliner or a Waco.

redhawks2

One of the Regulars
Billy...you posted a picture of the one I got. It's tan but definitely a "peachy" tan. It's in reasonably good shape although the lengthy description in the auction ad was a bit generous in the appraisal of the condition. I have tried posting pictures to photobucket for one, but can't seem to get them to show up in my posts. I am in at least a dozen different forums ranging from old Chevy's to Miatas to Martin guitars and have yet to be able to post a picture in any one of them. Every forum seems to have their own little tweak when it comes to posting pics.
Regards,
Dave

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Atticus Finch said:
Here's the hat.

Geoffshats011-1.jpg

Atticus, I like its looks a lot. It seems ok on you proportionally. If it was a 7 I would offer to relieve you of it. ORs and clones with a cattleman's crease are my all-time favorites.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy