Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Other Open Roads.....

billyspew

One Too Many
redhawks2 said:
Billy...you posted a picture of the one I got. It's tan but definitely a "peachy" tan. It's in reasonably good shape although the lengthy description in the auction ad was a bit generous in the appraisal of the condition. I have tried posting pictures to photobucket for one, but can't seem to get them to show up in my posts. I am in at least a dozen different forums ranging from old Chevy's to Miatas to Martin guitars and have yet to be able to post a picture in any one of them. Every forum seems to have their own little tweak when it comes to posting pics.
Regards,
Dave

:eek:fftopic:
Have you managed to upload to photobucket?
Once on photobucket you may need to enable it to be viewed publicly.
You should then be able to copy the IMG Code (on the left hand side) directly into your post.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Mr. Paladin said:
Atticus, I like its looks a lot. It seems ok on you proportionally. If it was a 7 I would offer to relieve you of it. ORs and clones with a cattleman's crease are my all-time favorites.

Thanks, all. It's really odd. I am a hard-core easterner who has ridden only one horse, one time...who has only flown over Texas...and who only gets close to cattle when they are on the grill. But I prefer cattleman's creased Open Roads. And I get more compliments on my cattleman's creased ORs than anything else I wear. In fact, when I occasionally wear a fedora (my Gun Club or Stylemaster), folks ask me why I'm not wearing my "good hat".

AF

The List...

Adam Adamajestic
Adam LBJ Style R
Adam Lonestar
Adam Mainliner
Adam Tan Texas (64 L.B.J.K)
Adam Texan
Adam Texarkana
Adam Waco
Akubra Campdraft
Bailey Beaver 20 ??
Beaver Brand River Runner
Biltmore Wilderness
Borsalino Alessandria
Champ Ranger
Churchill Beaver 35 ??
Disney Ranger
Dobbs 20 ???
Dobbs Westward
Dobbs West Open Trail
Dunlap 20 ???
Knox Westlite
LaSalle ???
Lee Corral (JCPenney Marathon, Towncraft, etc.)
Lee Trail
Mallory Dallas
Miller Douglas (Beaver Brand or Biltmore ?)
Penney Marathon
Portis Sterling
Resistol Dalworth
Resistol Saddler
Resistol San Antonio
Resistol The Wide Country
Resistol Waco
Shudde Bros ???
Stephen L. Stetson Open Road
Stevens ??? (Imperial & DeLuxe)
Tanbark 1546
Wormser Texan
Various Store brands (ie Richman Bros, et al)

Thanks RedHawks2...

redhawks2

One of the Regulars
How is it that Adam can come up with at least 8 different versions of their own hat? Apparently their are some very subtle tweaks going on with Adam!

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
gtd, I have another addition for your list; the Champ Texan. I just got it off e-Bay and it arrived today, crushed (see New Hat thread). After a couple hours work to try to remove the deep, sharp creases in it, here it is:
ChampTexan001.jpg

ChampTexan002.jpg

ChampTexan010.jpg

ChampTexan006.jpg

ChampTexan008.jpg

ChampTexan009.jpg

The List...

Adam Adamajestic
Adam LBJ Style R
Adam Lonestar
Adam Mainliner
Adam Texan
Adam Texarkana
Adam Waco
Akubra Campdraft
Bailey Beaver 20 ??
Biltmore Wilderness
Borsalino Alessandria
Champ Ranger
Champ Texan
Churchill Beaver 35 ??
Disney Ranger
Dobbs 20 ???
Dobbs Westward
Dobbs West Open Trail
Dunlap 20 ???
Knox Westlite
LaSalle ???
Lee Trail
Mallory Dallas
Penney Marathon
Portis Sterling
Resistol Dalworth
Resistol Saddler
Resistol San Antonio
Resistol Waco
Shudde Bros ???
Tanbark 1546
Wormser Texan

Thanks Mr P...

buler

I'll Lock Up
New to the list: Courtney

Here is a great medium grey OR style hat made by Courtney hats for Harry Levinson. It has a non-reeded sweatband, no liner, stamped crown, and its extremely lightweight. Original price $5.95.

Measurements
brim = 2 1/2
ribbon = 3/8
sweat = 1 3/4
crown = 5
brim binding = 3/16
size 7 1/4

B

courtney_1.jpg

courtney_2.jpg

courtney_3.jpg

courtney_4.jpg

courtney_5.jpg

courtney_6.jpg

courtney_7.jpg

courtney_8.jpg

courtney_9.jpg

courtney_11.jpg

billysmom

One Too Many
Shady Oaks Rescue

I was browsing at an estate sale in one of our more upscale neighborhoods after church and heard a young lad saying, "Way cool! You could use that for Halloween!" I looked over and his buddy had a light tan western hat in his hand, working the creases. At that point his mother called out that they were ready to go and that he should come back later if he wanted the hat.

I snatched it out of the closet and found myself holding a Shady Oaks Bankers Special from Peters Brothers. The sweatband also had printed: Made Expressly for and then the rest was blank. Now, Amon Carter bought these hats in considerable quantities to give to visitors as a souvenir of Fort Worth. Perhaps this one came from this stock?

At any rate, I couldn't leave it for some Halloween hooligan, so I bought it, even though it's too big for me (7 1/8). It will show up forthwith in the Classifieds.

SOdreased.jpg

SObrim.jpg

SOliner.jpg

SOSweat1.jpg

SOSweat2.jpg

SOsize.jpg

SO1.jpg

SOfedora.jpg

It has some issues - I wiped away the worst evidence of a large coffee spill, there's some discoloration on the underside of the brim and there's abrasion to the rim binding, but otherwise it's in pretty good shape. No moth parties, etc. And this piece of Fort Worth history won't be pitched into the dumpster on November 1.

Sue

buler

I'll Lock Up
billysmom said:
I was browsing at an estate sale in one of our more upscale neighborhoods after church and heard a young lad saying, "Way cool! You could use that for Halloween!" I looked over and his buddy had a light tan western hat in his hand, working the creases. At that point his mother called out that they were ready to go and that he should come back later if he wanted the hat.

I snatched it out of the closet and found myself holding a Shady Oaks Bankers Special from Peters Brothers. The sweatband also had printed: Made Expressly for and then the rest was blank. Now, Amon Carter bought these hats in considerable quantities to give to visitors as a souvenir of Fort Worth. Perhaps this one came from this stock?

At any rate, I couldn't leave it for some Halloween hooligan, so I bought it, even though it's too big for me (7 1/8). It will show up forthwith in the Classifieds.

It has some issues - I wiped away the worst evidence of a large coffee spill, there's some discoloration on the underside of the brim and there's abrasion to the rim binding, but otherwise it's in pretty good shape. No moth parties, etc. And this piece of Fort Worth history won't be pitched into the dumpster on November 1.

Sue

Rescued and revived!! :eusa_clap

Way to go Sue!

B

Mr. Paladin

It is a cool and rainy day here in the Dallas area, just perfect to work on a project I had been putting off due to time constraints. A month ago or so, I had purchased a Resistol San Antonio on e-Bay along with a 4X beaver Stetson. The Stetson fit great but the Resistol had a major issue. It was advertised as a size 7 and it was...but it was a 7 Extra Long Oval. I can wear a Long Oval fine, but the XL Oval was so long that the western crease on the San Antonio bowed out on the sides and up drastically in the front, rendering it unwearable in that format. I decided to transform it into a fedora style San Antonio/OR clone hat and I did that today. It took a good deal of steaming and smoothing to get the old and well-set western crease out and to brush and begin to sponge out the slight dirt lines where the western ridges were; I have more of that to do later but it does not show nearly as badly in person as with the flash from the camera. I then re-creased it to a C-crease with a shallow dent so my head wouldn't hit the top of the hat. It did not turn out as high as I wanted because there was just not much crown to work with on it.

This is the e-Bay set of pics for a comparison:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130329372206&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

This is the newly finished product. Please pardon the t-shirt but I wanted some head pics to go with the hat pics:
AkubraandResistol004.jpg

AkubraandResistol006.jpg

AkubraandResistol007.jpg

AkubraandResistol008.jpg

AkubraandResistol002.jpg

In its new configuration, the XL Oval size does not affect the brim at all and I get another OR style fedora with a bit different crease on top.

billysmom

One Too Many
Mr. Paladin said:
AkubraandResistol002.jpg

In its new configuration, the XL Oval size does not affect the brim at all and I get another OR style fedora with a bit different crease on top.

Well done, Mr. P! That's a winner!

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Sue

Mr. Paladin

billysmom said:
Well done, Mr. P! That's a winner!

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Sue

Thank you, maam. Nice save on that Shady Oak...too bad its too big for me or I'd be glad to help you out with it :D !

billysmom

One Too Many
Mr. Paladin said:
Thank you, maam. Nice save on that Shady Oak...too bad its too big for me or I'd be glad to help you out with it :D !

Well, it looks mighty fine just sitting on top of my old rolltop desk.

Sue

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Mr. Paladin said:
...It did not turn out as high as I wanted because there was just not much crown to work with on it.

What? No pork pie? ;)

I certainly understand your conundrum but you did an excellent job on that one, Mr. P. I like it!

Mr. Paladin

CRH said:
What? No pork pie? ;)

I certainly understand your conundrum but you did an excellent job on that one, Mr. P. I like it!

Thank you sir. I decided to pass on the pork pie once again........and forever! If I ever showed up in a pork pie, folks down here would throw a net over me and send me to the local Bodmin!........and rightly so.

The List...

Adam Adamajestic
Adam LBJ Style R
Adam Lonestar
Adam Mainliner
Adam Texan
Adam Texarkana
Adam Waco
Akubra Campdraft
Bailey Beaver 20 ??
Biltmore Wilderness
Borsalino Alessandria
Champ Ranger
Champ Texan
Churchill Beaver 35 ??
Courtney ?? ( for Harry Livingston)
Disney Ranger
Dobbs 20 ???
Dobbs Westward
Dobbs West Open Trail
Dunlap 20 ???
Knox Westlite
LaSalle ???
Lee Trail
Mallory Dallas
Penney Marathon
Peter Bros Shady Oak Bankers Special
Portis Sterling
Resistol Dalworth
Resistol Saddler
Resistol San Antonio
Resistol Waco
Shudde Bros ???
Tanbark 1546
Wormser Texan

Thanks all....

billysmom

One Too Many
Oversized eBay hat - Shudde Bros

Here's the 21 1/2" hat from eBay that's really 22 1/2":

Shudde Bros. in original box that has a postage date of 1961:

Shudde.jpg

liner.jpg

Moth-bite.jpg

sweat.jpg

guts.jpg

DSCF1437.jpg

2 3/4" brim, 5 1/4" uncreased crown, 1 3/4" sweat. No size tags anywhere. One small moth bite on topside of brim. It's obviously been in a protected place all these years. There's no color change in the crown when it's opened from the cattleman's crease.

It's fairly stiff; when I pop the crown the stiffener dust puffs up. I'm guessing that the stiffener's about ready to give up after nearly 50 years and that the felt will soften with either manual manipulation or an application of rubbing alcohol.

This hat's posted here for documentation purposes. It will be on its way to Queensland, Australia tomorrow.:)

Sue

buler

I'll Lock Up
Another new one...

Here is an Alexander 4 X 4. Nope, I'm not kidding on the model name. Its on the tag. Pretty nice felt on this one. It also has the hidden stitching sweatband.

B

alexander_1.jpg

alexander_3.jpg

alexander_4-1.jpg

alexander_5.jpg

alexander_6.jpg

alexander_7.jpg

alexander_9.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member