Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Other Open Roads.....

jonbuilder said:
Frank McCloud hand made I believe the felt is clear beaver
IMG_0720.jpg

IMG_0719.jpg
Is this a raw edge? Can't make out from these photos....

johnnyphi said:
Based on my experience with Lee hats, I think the "Trail" was their version of the Open Road, and the "Corral" was their version of the Stratoliner. The Corral and Trail may have similar dimensions, but the Corral's felt is much lighter, and it is unlined.

Another important difference... The Trail came open crown. The Corral was pre-creased.
Does that mean the Penney's Marathon is also not to be considered an OR clone since it & the Corral are the same?

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
gtdean48 said:
Does that mean the Penney's Marathon is also not to be considered an OR clone since it & the Corral are the same?

The Penney's Marathon that I had is NOT a Stratoliner clone - it is an Open Road style hat. No doubt about it. Also, keep in mind that "Marathon" covered a lot of styles for the Penney's hat. My gf has a stingy low-crown Marathon.

ScottF said:
The Penney's Marathon that I had is NOT a Stratoliner clone - it is an Open Road style hat. No doubt about it...
What are the differentiators of Stratoliner vs Open Road? My Strat has a 2 5/8 brim but so do 2 of my OR. The crown heights are almost exactly the same....[huh]

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
gtdean48 said:
What are the differentiators of Stratoliner vs Open Road? My Strat has a 2 5/8 brim but so do 2 of my OR. The crown heights are almost exactly the same....[huh]

Perhaps my own understanding of Stratoliners is off - I've only owned one and it was markedly different from my O.R. and O.R. clones. I know brims vary in O.R.'s (mine's 2 7/8), but crowns are all higher than my Strat was. I didn't take meaasurements, but seems like there was also more taper in the Stratoliner. Maybe it's all in my head?

I will leave it to those who currently have examples of both to describe in more detail.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
gtdean48 said:
What are the differentiators of Stratoliner vs Open Road?

Here is my attempt at answering this question, previously posted in another thread: Stratoliner vs. Open Road. Hope this helps.

For purposes of this thread, gtdean, I think that the differences between the Open Road and the Stratoliner were negligible enough that any similar Strat/OR clone by other manufacturers should be included on your list. No need to parse the distinctions so finely for purposes of identifying hats that had the same general look, methinks. ;)

Cheers,
JtL

GallatinHatMan

One of the Regulars
I have a Saxson version of the Open Road. Ir has no names associated with it as far as I can see. Mine's a bit moth eaten and beaten up. I wear it as my "work" hat for doing outside work when its cool enough.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
The Mallory OR clone that I bought last week is supposed to be here today. UPS person usually comes to the office about elevenish and the UPS tracking site says it will be on the truck. I brought my camera to work, so maybe I can post some photos if and when it arrives.

AF

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Well, as expected, my Mallory came today. My first impression is the hat is a 'sixties Open Road. The felt feels the same. The lining looks almost the same. The binding looks exactly the same. The color is not a Stetson color, but otherwise, its a 'sixties, black-sweat, Open Road.

The first photo was taken with a flash and the color shown is not the color of the hat. The second photo and the noggin' shot were taken with available light, so they show the hat's color pretty much as it is. The unique color was one of the two reasons I bid on this hat. The other reason is that my interest in OR clones has really been peaked by this thread. Now if I can just find a size 7 5/8 San Antonio.

The Mallory fits pretty well for an un-fiddled-with hat. The tag says it's a long-oval, but it isn't. It'll take some steam to get the front of the brim snapped down a bit, the way I like OR brims to be. But all-in-all, I'm very happy with my purchase.

Picture088-1.jpg

Picture097-1.jpg

Picture091-1-1.jpg
Picture087-1-1.jpg

Picture093-1.jpg

AF

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
AF, That sure is a nice color on the OR.
Gallatin, I AM a 7 5/8 LO really an ELO and it is no fun going big head to big head with the other unofficial members of the "Mellon Head Mob". No I didn't bid on this one for a change.
Tom D.

WineGuy

A-List Customer
Could use some help dating Shudde Bros hat...

AlanC said:
My Shudde Bros. dated 9-28-66:

p1013448jz8.jpg

Hi AlanC, I just won a vintage Borsalino fedora that has the Shudde Bros indicia on the sweat band but came in a Rogers Peet box with original receipt. The seller represented that the hat was vintage 1940's. I'm trying to verify the age before giving positive feedback. Any idea if Shudde sold to Rogers Peet, and is there a system or source for dating Borsalino's? I'll post pictures shortly. Thanks

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Felt weight makes a difference...

gtdean48 said:

I'm not sure about the Penney's Marathon because I've never seen one, in person. I can tell you that one major difference between the Lee Corral and the Lee Trail is the weight of the felt. The Corral has very lightweight felt, which is similar to the Stratoliners from my collection. On the other hand, the Trail has much thicker, more substantial felt. (Similar to the heavy-weight Schobles and Royal Stetsons)

In addition, the Trail is fully lined, while the Corral is unlined. Don't get me wrong, the hats LOOK very similar to each other. The differences are relatively subtle, but Lee definitely intended to produce two distinct models.

I think the Trail is much closer to the Open Road and OR clones I have seen. The Corral is meant to be a lightweight hat that could be worn throughout the Spring and into the early Summer, just like the Strat.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Two new vintage hats arrived in my morning mail yesterday. One of them is a Resistol Wide Country. I'm not sure how old this hat is. It was originally sold at a store in Norfolk Nebraska called Berle's Men's Shop. The seller claimed that the store closed thirty years ago. Any Nebraskans out there know for sure?

I like the hat---it fits like a dream---but I'm not sure its an OR clone. It has the OR look, but the brim is only 2 1/4 inches. In fact, the Resistol's brim is stingy enough that with a wide hat band and a fedora bash, it would look exactly like my Stylemaster.

I notice that the Resistol Wide Country has already been added to this thread, but I think that I would describe it only as an "Open Roadish" hat rather than as an OR clone. It just ain't quite substantial enough to hang with a real OR!

I haven't had a chance to take any noggin' shots, but here's some photos I snatched from the auction.

BVHVSVBmkKGrHgoOKi4EjlLmWWnBKQ4seWt.jpg

BVHVTtgBGkKGrHgoOKi8EjlLmY5yVBKQ4rj.jpg

AF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass