Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Other Open Roads.....

Mallory, OPS era, 2 3/4 brim and and 5 1/2 open crown. In another thread I described the brim as a little stiff. I should say it is firm yet flexible. Easily snaps up or down depending on my mood. Excellent felt, soft crown easily shaped. Love this hat.
View attachment 174929 View attachment 174931 View attachment 174932 View attachment 174933 View attachment 174929 View attachment 174931 View attachment 174932 View attachment 174933 View attachment 174934
I think that's a Mallory Dallas. Certainly belongs & is on the list.

Mallory, OPS era, 2 3/4 brim and and 5 1/2 open crown. In another thread I described the brim as a little stiff. I should say it is firm yet flexible. Easily snaps up or down depending on my mood. Excellent felt, soft crown easily shaped. Love this hat.
View attachment 174929 View attachment 174931 View attachment 174932 View attachment 174933 View attachment 174929 View attachment 174931 View attachment 174932 View attachment 174933 View attachment 174934
Any tags behind the sweatband?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
Any tags behind the sweatband?

Yes and it is a little blurry not on the hat though. Just my poor photography skills. :)
DSCN0453.JPG

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
My pre-Stetson Premier Quality The Dallas has an “M” depth:

77d8f47ae7173e9978e29775e488432f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Good question. Idk. I looked at another one, older, Aristocrat Quality, depth was “D” so who knows.
B
I thought mine had a block designation. All I can say is my depth is "R."

You think the depth is the crown height?

My J is 5 1/2
Jim's is an R
Bowen has a G and D
Brent an M

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
^^^somebody has to know the secret handshake!
B
I have been searching early posts in "The Mallory Mile" and it is getting deeper.
I have found "Depths" of E, H, NO to add to the list. That would be eight designations. Seems like a lot of different designations for Crown height. I wasn't able to determine if these were Post Stetson or Pre Stetson.
The mystery continues.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
A new-to-me Beaver Brand OR Clone sold originally at the Westerner in Flagstaff, AZ. Tan/beige color (Yea - I was looking for something other than SB!) with a 2 3/4 bound brim. The stamp on the sweat says Imported White Fur (if anyone knows what that is?) and the cellophane on the liner, and the gold liner itself, is in perfect condition as is the 1 3/4 sweatband. There is no information under the sweat, only the remains of a square white sticker, probably a price tag or something of the like. I did not find anything under the edge of the liner either. It is a rather lightweight hat (I was surprised) and the felt is smooth. I don't want to over-sell this one; it is a really nice hat, and it far exceeds the modern Stetson 6X I sold to find a replacement, but it is not in the same league as the 3X's or equivalent Resistols. I really like OR's but shy away from them as the side dents on the Cattleman's crease almost always hit the top of my head. Not so with this one. The sizing is right on that sweet spot and fits me wonderfully and I expect this one to be a daily wear hat.

If anyone would venture a guess on age, I'd appreciated it. The hat is in great shape but my gut tells me it not that old. Maybe I'm wrong. Nevertheless, it is going to see a lot of head time and I'm sure this will be one of those felt hats I will be using to "stretch" the end of spring wearing season and begin early the fall wearing season!

Enjoy. (Sorry, I have lots of shadows on the indoor pictures.)

BB6.jpg BB7.jpg BB8.jpg BB1.jpg BB2.jpg bb3.jpg bb4.jpg BB5.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto