Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Others.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Didn't see anything mentioning this movie either, and decided to bring it up.
Anyone else seen it? It's definately a top contender for one of my favorite modern movies, which, let me tell you, are very few and far between.
It's just a brilliantly done psychological thriller, very atmospheric. It doesn't rely on blood or gore at all, choosing instead to completely blur the lines between what is really there and what is not. The cinematography is excellent, the music chilling and appropriate, the dialogue minimal but perfectly chosen, the acting just phenomenal. There is an omnipresent feeling of dread and tension that permeates throughout the entire film, and the shock ending completely justifies it, in my opinion. Another note I have to make is that I usually don't think especially highly of Kidman's acting abilities, but she is mesmerizing in this, her neurotic nature of the character developing gradually, always on pitch, never going over the top and making it a caricature.
What are your thoughts on this movie?
B00003CYLJ.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
I like it. Have not seen it in years but thought it was a good thriller.
It seems to get lumped into the whole "twist ending" genre M.Night Shyamalan is noted for.

erikb02809

One of the Regulars
I thought the filmmakers did an excellent job of creating "atmosphere", however, I deduced the twist rather early on and spent the rest of the movie hoping that I'd be wrong. Figuring it out that early definately took a lot of the enjoyment out of the film for me.

Kudos for sure though to the filmmakers for establishing a very creepy, eerie vibe in the movie without going over the top like so many other horror movies do.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I watched it expecting to rip it to shreds, but was surprised to find that it was actually pretty good.

However, I think the best films of this type were done back in the early 60s, like "The Innocents" and the original Robert Wise version of "The Haunting". What these old b/w flicks may lack in modern flash, they more than make up for with very solid writing/direction and acting.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
LOVE this movie! I think they did an excellent job creating that 'errie' feeling throughout the movie. I absolutely love a good twist, and this movie gives you one!
The acting was superb, and for those who are Nicole Kidman fans, there's a lot of her in this movie!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
You hear "chilling" slung around a lot when people describe horror/suspense films, but I can honestly say this is one of only a few pictures I've seen where I actually felt the room get cold as I watched it. *Extremely* well done, and highly recommended.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
The "twist" is brilliant in that movie. Very well done film, I saw it at the flicks when it came out so it's awhile ago now but I still remember it had some nice period flavour, was chilling, and has a wonderful unexpected twist. Worth watching.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Doctor Strange said:
I watched it expecting to rip it to shreds, but was surprised to find that it was actually pretty good.

However, I think the best films of this type were done back in the early 60s, like "The Innocents" and the original Robert Wise version of "The Haunting". What these old b/w flicks may lack in modern flash, they more than make up for with very solid writing/direction and acting.
Aha, I was waiting for someone to bring up The Innocents in conjunction with this movie. It was actually randomly browsing reviews on amazon and like sites of this movie that piqued my interest in The Innocents, which I finally got my hands about 6 months ago. Obviously the tone/theme are similar, but they're really two completely different movies, so I got kind of frustrated with the constant "They TOTALLY copied The Innocents!" statements. For now, I still think of The Others as a better movie, since I've watched both seperately now, if only because it just affects me more, though Innocents is spectacularly creepy in its own right. Maybe one of these days, I'll sit down and watch them side by side, and see what conclusions I form then.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Notice that I did NOT claim that The Others ripped off The Innocents. They are quite different films, though both fit the "modern gothic ghost story" genre. A beautiful woman and children menaced by mystery in an old mansion: it's a classic scenario...

Frankly, I think The Others is far more indebted to a whole bunch of Twilight Zone episodes, and a vast array of similar-themed films and TV shows that have been done in the last couple of decades. But the fact remains that it's well done, and Nicole Kidman is very good in it.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Doctor Strange said:
Notice that I did NOT claim that The Others ripped off The Innocents. They are quite different films, though both fit the "modern gothic ghost story" genre. A beautiful woman and children menaced by mystery in an old mansion: it's a classic scenario...

Frankly, I think The Others is far more indebted to a whole bunch of Twilight Zone episodes, and a vast array of similar-themed films and TV shows that have been done in the last couple of decades. But the fact remains that it's well done, and Nicole Kidman is very good in it.
Oh no no, I'm sorry, I never meant to accuse you of implying anything. :( Please forgive me if I gave off that impression, I'm not the best at properly wording things. :(

Actually, more than anything, I had really been interested in what you thought of The Innocents, since you brought it up. That's what I meant in term of it being brought up in conjunction with The Others. :)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
No offense taken - I just wanted to point out that *I* wasn't one of the folks who claimed that The Others owed it all to The Innocents.

If I happen to still *prefer* The Innocents, it's really mainly because I first saw it as an impressionable teen, not in my current jaded mode!

Girl Friday

Practically Family
Oh yeah, this was a good one.

Someone had loaned it to me when I lived alone. I put it in the VCR in my bedroom one night. After it was over I thought "wow, that was really good... not that scary though". But then I started thinking about it and I couldn't sleep at all, not because I was scared, just because it makes you think.

waingirl

One of the Regulars
I loved this movie! I always forget to put this one on my christmas list, I may just have to go out and get it myself!! Great acting, very eerie, and such a surprise ending, I was indeed shocked at the end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui