Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"The Pacific" - can it possibly live up to expectations?

Doublegun

Practically Family
One week to the first episode of "The Pacific" oh HBO and after watching the trailers, the "Making of" and the other teasers on HBO I am trying hard not to compare it to Band of Brothers. Just wondering if people believe it will be as good as was Band of Brothers.

sixties.nut

This should be good.

And even better on Blu-Ray. It will live up to expectations alright and probably surpass for some viewers. These guy's never deliver mediocre product. Just makes you wonder if they teamed up with other top notch directors like K. Bigelow, et.al. ?:eusa_clap

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I can't wait to see The Pacific. I'm interested in it mainly because it involves the Asian theatre of war, but also Australia, the country that several US troops visited or stayed in during the Pacific theatre of the war, especially in Melbourne, which is where I live. I'd love to see how they depict wartime Melbourne and how they depict the reactions of locals to American soldiers...

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
It promises to be good. My only concern is that because the film highlights (rightfully) the exploits of the Marine Corps. in the PTO, it will neglect to even mention the U.S. Army's large role in that area.
CCF07102009_00003.jpg

17th Inf. Reg., 7th Inf. Div., USA.

YETI

A-List Customer
Widebrim said:
It promises to be good. My only concern is that because the film highlights (rightfully) the exploits of the Marine Corps. in the PTO, it will neglect to even mention the U.S. Army's large role in that area.
I totally agree. The Army played a huge role in the Pacific during WWII. It's sorta ironic that the prisoner rescue at Cabanatuan coincided with the flag raising on Iwo. The flag raising was a great photo op and front page news. But the prison camp rescue in the PI barely got any press at the time.

Doublegun

Practically Family
I think it is important to keep in mind that the Pacific is not a documentary but the story of three Marines and their individual stories before, during and after WWII, focusing on their battle experience in the Pacific theater of war. My question really related to the quality of the production, the way the story will be told and the casting and acting.

To your point, it seems to me that the war in the Pacific was won by all four branches - Marines, Air Corp, Army and Navy. More so than the war in Europe which in my mind was executed primarily by the Army and the Air Corp.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Doublegun said:
I think it is important to keep in mind that the Pacific is not a documentary but the story of three Marines and their individual stories before, during and after WWII, focusing on their battle experience in the Pacific theater of war. My question really related to the quality of the production, the way the story will be told and the casting and acting.

To your point, it seems to me that the war in the Pacific was won by all four branches - Marines, Air Corp, Army and Navy. More so than the war in Europe which in my mind was executed primarily by the Army and the Air Corp.

Oh, I agree with your comments. I was just saying that although it is the story of three marines, I hope that mention is at least made of the Army being there, the same way The Thin Red Line did aknowledge that the Marine Corps. initially invaded Guadalcanal. As regards the production values, I tend to think they will be high.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
YETI said:
I totally agree. The Army played a huge role in the Pacific during WWII. It's sorta ironic that the prisoner rescue at Cabanatuan coincided with the flag raising on Iwo. The flag raising was a great photo op and front page news. But the prison camp rescue in the PI barely got any press at the time.

True, but then again, there were no combat photographers present at Cabanatuan.

Marcus

A-List Customer
I'm going to be completely selfish on this and say that I’m glad that it focuses on the Marines. It seems the vast majority of films about WW2 focus on the ETO and the Army. It's important to show the Marines in this conflict since it was the first time they showed their combined arms prowess on a large scale and have honed it to this day. I'm biased though...8 years in the Corps will do that!

Semper Fi,

Zanzibarstar

One of the Regulars
Shangas said:
I can't wait to see The Pacific. I'm interested in it mainly because it involves the Asian theatre of war, but also Australia, the country that several US troops visited or stayed in during the Pacific theatre of the war, especially in Melbourne, which is where I live. I'd love to see how they depict wartime Melbourne and how they depict the reactions of locals to American soldiers...

That's interesting...I was just talking about this subject with my coworker today. His Grandfather, from Upstate New York, fought in the Pacific theatre, ended up in Australia, where he met his soon-to-be wife. My coworker said, "If it wasn't for The War, I wouldn't be here today." Interesting point.

Talbot

One Too Many
Shangas said:

Shangas,

Check out the book 'Helmet For My Pillow' by Robert Leckie. He was a Marine involved in some of the pivotal battles in the pacific. He briefly mentions being on leave staying in Dandenong and soldiers being shot at by MP's in Richmond (?)

Anyway, Melbourne is there and the book is essential reading.

I look forward to the show when it debut's here in say 2015:(

Hopefully it may acknowledge the debt paid by other countries in the PTO, such as the Poms, Kiwis, New Guinea tribesmen, Aussies, Indons and Malay's, to name a few.

Talbot

sixties.nut

Talbot said:
Hopefully it may acknowledge the debt paid by other countries in the PTO, such as the Poms, Kiwis, New Guinea tribesmen, Aussies, Indons and Malay's, to name a few.
Talbot

I seriously doubt it. But none the less, MOST of us over here sure DO !!!

SAL - LUTE MATEY'S!!! :eusa_clap

sixties.nut

Doublegun said:

Not to mention the British and Soviet had a small part hepping us out.lol

They might get a shout out, but probably on the special features. That'll be your Disc 11. ;)

Doublegun

Practically Family
Talbot said:
Shangas,

Check out the book 'Helmet For My Pillow' by Robert Leckie. He was a Marine involved in some of the pivotal battles in the pacific. He briefly mentions being on leave staying in Dandenong and soldiers being shot at by MP's in Richmond (?)

Anyway, Melbourne is there and the book is essential reading.

I look forward to the show when it debut's here in say 2015:(

Talbot

You probably already know this but Leckie is one of the Marines the series focuses on. One of the other's (sorry I can't remember which one) was also a writers who wrote what many considere to be the definitive piece on battles in the PTO. Spielberg/Hanks had the benefit of having a lot of well documented material to work with when writing the series so I expect it should be pretty accurate in terms of story and recreation.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I think it will definitely live up to expectations and more than likely, surpass them.

Since the series focuses on 3 Marines, I'm certain it won't tell the *full* story of the Pacific - Army, Nurses, other nations, etc. It isn't intended to. This is not a documentary. Just as BOB didn't tell the full story of war in the ETO, this series is not, and never was, intended to be a complete all-encompassing story of the war in the Pacific and every unit and person involved. It is only the story of 3 Marines serving in the Pacific.

Heck I'm just excited to see a WR in a movie! (Lena Basilone)

Marcus said:
I'm going to be completely selfish on this and say that I’m glad that it focuses on the Marines. It seems the vast majority of films about WW2 focus on the ETO and the Army. It's important to show the Marines in this conflict since it was the first time they showed their combined arms prowess on a large scale and have honed it to this day...

I feel the same!

Talbot

One Too Many
Doublegun said:
You probably already know this but Leckie is one of the Marines the series focuses on. One of the other's (sorry I can't remember which one) was also a writers who wrote what many considere to be the definitive piece on battles in the PTO. Spielberg/Hanks had the benefit of having a lot of well documented material to work with when writing the series so I expect it should be pretty accurate in terms of story and recreation.

It wouldn't be Eugene Sledge would it?

With the Old Breed, at Peleliu and Okinawa is an amazing book.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Marcus said:
I'm going to be completely selfish on this and say that I’m glad that it focuses on the Marines. It seems the vast majority of films about WW2 focus on the ETO and the Army. It's important to show the Marines in this conflict since it was the first time they showed their combined arms prowess on a large scale and have honed it to this day. I'm biased though...8 years in the Corps will do that!

Semper Fi,

Didnt you get your fill with the brilliant Windtalkers?
;)
Seriously tho, at least Flag of our Fathers was worthwhile
2404106800_2feda4d125.jpg

And Im very sorry to see that although Tom Hanks is involved with ThePacific, he doesnt direct or act in any of the episodes....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot