Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Palm Beach suit thread

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Mr Vim said:
I saw a mid 50's Palm Beach suit on eBay, but I didn't have the funding for it, and now for whatever reason, the seller never re-listed the item which I know did not sell, I can only guess that it sold on some other website. Oh well.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. The one I just sold in the Classifieds section I found on eBay 6 months ago. I won a different suit from the same seller, and somebody else won the Palm Beach Suit. His account got suspended so nobody could pay him.

I kept in contact with him over 6 months and never really heard much, until one day he started listing clothes again. I asked him about both suits and he said he still had them, just in storage. I kept bothering him for 2 weeks and finally he sold them to me.

Don't give up so easily!

cookie

I'll Lock Up

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Does $495 for a starting bid (with no reserve) seem exorbitantly high to you folks or is that reasonable?
At first glance it does seem a bit high but when you stop and consider that: 1)They aint making them anymore and 2)You'll get a crap modern suit at that pricepoint these days.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
:arated:
If it fits you perfectly it would be worth the price. Does it? Did you compare the measurements?

In comparsion: Think of cheap online tailors who make their stuff in thailand. A summer linen suit from them would be 400 or 500 too. Better off with an original palm beach suit.

Chas

One Too Many
I have two Palm Beach items; one a 1930's jacket with the belted back, the other a two breasted number I won in a hard fought battle on Ebay. Having it altered to fit (previous owner was my height, but a little rotund). Pics to follow when that bad boy is done.

DCMark

New in Town
Well, it looks like nobody was willing to pay that much. I decided not to bid on it anyway because to make it fit I would have had to lose the cuffs. Oh well, at least I have my Palm Beach cloth dinner jacket. I just have to get it re-altered since the first tailor I took it to did a half-a***d job of it, as well as getting a brown spot of unknown origin right on the front. Sigh... Thanks again for the input.

DCMark

New in Town
Ah....thanks much. If that suit comes up for sale again I'll consider it.
Re: Labels - I just took another look at my dinner jacket and it has a white label with orange text saying "Tailored by Goodall" along the top of the collar label with "From the Genuine Cloth" along the bottom. I guess this means it is a pre-1944 item (?). Unfortunately, when I got it back from the tailor there was a brown stain about the size of a pencil eraser just below one of the bottom buttons. When I asked the tailor (who speaks very, very little English) about it he just shrugged with an "I have no idea where that came from" look. So....I might be trying that Oxi-Clean treatment myself. I also have a Goodall-Sanford Palm Beach suit that is not made out of Palm Beach cloth but is nice anyway. Both are unlined. Is the Palm Beach cloth comfortable? (I'm thinking specifically of trousers rubbing against bare thighs since it is kind of scratchy, imho.) Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21