Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Palm Beach suit thread

Ah....thanks much. If that suit comes up for sale again I'll consider it.
Re: Labels - I just took another look at my dinner jacket and it has a white label with orange text saying "Tailored by Goodall" along the top of the collar label with "From the Genuine Cloth" along the bottom. I guess this means it is a pre-1944 item (?). Unfortunately, when I got it back from the tailor there was a brown stain about the size of a pencil eraser just below one of the bottom buttons. When I asked the tailor (who speaks very, very little English) about it he just shrugged with an "I have no idea where that came from" look. So....I might be trying that Oxi-Clean treatment myself. I also have a Goodall-Sanford Palm Beach suit that is not made out of Palm Beach cloth but is nice anyway. Both are unlined. Is the Palm Beach cloth comfortable? (I'm thinking specifically of trousers rubbing against bare thighs since it is kind of scratchy, imho.) Thanks!

The genuine cloth ceased being produced in 1954 from my sources. The orange writing was prior to the 50s that is for sure. The later labels had black text.
I had something similar happen with my white jacket. It was due to cigar ash for me. It will come out with the Oxyclean treatment.
Palm beach cloth is very comfortable. It is not extremely structured and should be just fine on your bare legs. It isn't all wool. The other fibers make it wear more comfortably. :D

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I've just got my Palm Beach 30's cream tux out of moth balls for a few do's later in the month. I just love the fabric, and the cut. And for hot climates, so hard to beat.

brspiritus

One of the Regulars
I found this Palm Beach jacket and was wondering if it's genuine or later fabric? The first pic looks like a linen fabric but I plead ignorance in these things and was wondering on your opinion.

02-15-2011_005.jpg

02-15-2011_004.jpg

02-15-2011_006.jpg

I presume you've all seen this one on EBay? I'm curious what it'll go for. If it wasn't too small for me I'd sure be interested. A shame about the ink spots on the collar - I wonder if they went all the way through. Also, I've never seen or heard of the extra material covering the collars and cuffs. Was that a common thing?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...y=52388&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619#ht_13410wt_1141

Wow! A 39 extra short. That narrows the market down quite a bit.
That material was meant to protect the jacket from wear or soiling during shipping and maybe even to protect it int he store. It was meant to be removed when the end user actually wore it. You never see that still intact today. That suit was truly never worn outside a store---maybe not even outside the factory.

DCMark

New in Town
I just got a toddler's Palm Beach suit - DB jacket and short pants. As soon as I can get a hold of a child-size mannequin (or a child-size child) I will post a pic. I seem to have become quite interested in Palm Beach stuff although I haven't worn my suit yet. I'm planning to wear it for our 4th of July parade for sure. I'm pondering writing a small book(let) about Palm Beach clothing/company. All I have to do is find the time, resources, etc. Well, I guess I have to do something after I retire.

I just got a toddler's Palm Beach suit - DB jacket and short pants. As soon as I can get a hold of a child-size mannequin (or a child-size child) I will post a pic. I seem to have become quite interested in Palm Beach stuff although I haven't worn my suit yet. I'm planning to wear it for our 4th of July parade for sure. I'm pondering writing a small book(let) about Palm Beach clothing/company. All I have to do is find the time, resources, etc. Well, I guess I have to do something after I retire.

I would love to see pictures of it. My sons have linen suits but I could never find a full Palm Beach suit for them at that age.

DCMark

New in Town
Finally wore my PB suit last 4th of July but just got the pic.

I don't know what year this suit is from. The hat is a new Stetson Panama. The photo was taken by Lloyd Wolf (http://www.lloydwolf.com) before the Takoma Park, MD, 4th of July Parade, 2011. I was asked several times if I was running for mayor.

July42011.jpg

DCMark

New in Town
PS: I know that I "should" only button one of the buttons but after 20 years in the Navy old habits are hard to break. ("If the Navy didn't want you to button that button they wouldn't have put it there.")

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
PS: I know that I "should" only button one of the buttons but after 20 years in the Navy old habits are hard to break. ("If the Navy didn't want you to button that button they wouldn't have put it there.")

I think it is OK for double breasted suits!

DCMark

New in Town
Thanks, Feraud. It really made me appreciate what gents went through in the "good old days" though. It was not the most comfortable suit for a hot, July day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24