Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Pen

Fountain Pens are sublime.

I have around 70 fountain pens, 2/3rds are vintage from the 1920-1950's and the rest are modern.

In vintage I really love Parker Duofolds, but I have a number of pens from Sheaffer, Waterman, Wahl-Eversharp, Esterbrook, Conklin plus some smaller brands.

In Modern I like Rotring, Pelikan and Lamy from Germany a lot. From Japan Pilot / Namiki, Sailor and Platinum. I have some modern Sheaffers and Watermans, Conkiln, Conway Stuart, Levenger, Laban, Visconti, and Stipiula.

I also like the fountain desk set pens.

When I am using a non-fountain pen it is usually a Pilot G-2 Gel Pen or a Cross ball point.

Here is some of the collection:

parkerpens.png

penshave.png

esterbrooks.png

Bugsy said:
Does anyone know where--or if--there's someplace to have vintage fountain pens reconditioned?

One- find if there are any good fountain pen stores nearby that do work on the premises, if not pass on them.

Two-ask if there are any fountain pen clubs near you, if so usually some one will do work on pens.

Three- get a copy of pen world international or stylus at the pen shop and peruse the ads in the back

Four- talk to Fred at The Fountain Pen Shop in Monrovia 626-294-9974 or send him an email fredspen@yahoo.com <<<CORRECTED

Most pens are repairable - some are not, odds are in your favor.

DerMann

Practically Family
John, absolutely marvelous collection.

I too am a big fan of Big Reds :D

Even though the nib on mine needs a little tweaking, it's still, by far, my favourite pen. It's large enough to fit my hand just perfectly.

In the picture of the Parker pens I have everything left of the Big Red Duofolds are also Duofolds with the smallest a vest pocket Duofold pen from Parker. Except the balck chased hard rubber one that might not be one.

chucklehead

A-List Customer
poetman said:
I'm curious, how many of you use a nice one, and how many of you use a generic store brand? I've always liked a nice pen, but I could never bring myself to spend too much money on one. I find deals, or only buy one or two that are inexpensive. How about you all: a plastic Pilot or something a bit more snazzy?

my experience of expensive pens is that they do not hold up well to everyday use... my experience is limited however to Delta, Caran D' Ache, Fisher, Rotring, Faber-Castell, Pilot, & Cross. The best pen I have ever bought are the cheap sub $10 Parker Stainless Steel Jotters.

they are billet proof
EJ003543.jpg

D

DeaconKC

Cross ATX is a modern pen that laughs at abuse. I carry it on duty everyday. An elegant pen, but the sections that screw together are metal to metal and it's built like a tank. The Pelikan 150 and 200 series pens are reasonably priced piston fillers that seem to hold up very well. I can also recommend the Harley Davidson Combustion as a daily use pen that stands up to use very well.

DerMann

Practically Family
chucklehead said:
my experience of expensive pens is that they do not hold up well to everyday use... my experience is limited however to Delta, Caran D' Ache, Fisher, Rotring, Faber-Castell, Pilot, & Cross. The best pen I have ever bought are the cheap sub $10 Parker Stainless Steel Jotters.
You need some American made pens, none of that European business. Almost any Sheaffer Snorkel or Touchdown, with just a bit of work, will out perform most pens ten times its purchase price.

Canadave

One Too Many
DerMann said:
You need some American made pens, none of that European business. Almost any Sheaffer Snorkel or Touchdown, with just a bit of work, will out perform most pens ten times its purchase price.

What kind of work?

David

The two listed are vintage pens, they're usually are not in working condition after sitting for so many years. They may need their filling ststmes flushed and the various part of those system may need replacing. Once clean up and made ready some will have the nib and feed adjusted for a good ink flow and voila! Vintage pen as good a new. It is a matter of fixing any damages and fixing what has failed due to time.

For many old pens it is a matter of replacing the bladder and flushing the nib and feed out.

Canadave

One Too Many
Oh, sorry. For some reason I interpreted that as some customization of a standard version of the pen, not renovation or repair of an vintage pen.

David

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I love my 1984 Mont Blanc, but now, of course, I need this one too -

WhiteAlbumfountainpen.jpg

The 40th Anniversary 'Beatles' (White Album) commemorative fountain pen.
Yeh, yeh, yeh! (goo goo ga joob!)

-dixon cannon

DerMann

Practically Family
Canadave said:
What kind of work?

David

Touchdowns are actually fairly simple to restore, but Snorkels take quite a bit more effort. You can get either on eBay from $10-$30, depending on model, condition, luck. Parts will run you, at most, $10. If you choose to have it restored professionally, it'll be another $20-$30.

Touchdowns, especially with Triumph nibs, are great for beginners. They simple to fill, have pretty rigid nibs, and are smoother than most pens out there. Great pens.

MEDIUMMYND

One of the Regulars
I use Pental disposable fountain pens to my mind they out gun many more expensive pens,i also carry a mitsubishi propelling pencil which was quite expensive but is a fantastic piece of kit,i also write better with a pencil i think a lot of people do.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
A little off topic here, but does anybody else here print instead of write? I print, usually in block capital letters. I seldom use cursive except for my signature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner