Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Pen

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Huzzah...I just picked up two Esterbrook pencils to match pens I already have.

Got a black 'dollar' pencil to match my black dollar pen...

and got a green pencil to go with my green estie.

Also picked up a blue Dollar Estie.

Now just to go take the two pens in to get rehabbed.

Got the 3 for 20 bucks total, after wearying the gentleman down with nonsense talk for 25 min. ;)

Canadave

One Too Many
Martinis at 8 said:
I gave up on having nice pens. They seem to disappear on me. Now I just use cheap throwaway ballpoints from Bic.

Martinis at 8 said:
A little off topic here, but does anybody else here print instead of write? I print, usually in block capital letters. I seldom use cursive except for my signature.

Yes, I do that too...exactly. We have that in common, but I would NEVER buy a disposable bic pen. ;) Even a $5 Parker Jotter would be a better choice.

David

Randal

Familiar Face
I have a nifty pen made of wood I got from the National Hardwood Lumber Association when I was there for a meeting. But I normally carry the cheap Bic clickers...

mister7

Familiar Face
This is my nicest pen, it was given to me as a bonus for a house remodel I did.

KR_Spark_Moray_RB.jpg

It is so deluxe that I reserve its use for outings where I'll be wearing a suit. I think of it as jewelry. I write all the time at work, often on things that have to be pressed hard on to copy through to the paperwork underneath. So all my pens are rollerballs.

I also print exclusively with the exception of my signature. My handwriting is terrible and I blame the Catholic church. I'm left-handed, and I had to learn to write with the double burden of a right-handed desk, which forced you to curl your arm way up above the paper in a very awkward position, as well as the constant threat of being struck with the yardstick for the temerity to use said left hand! I bet most Catholic school students can relate!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I have a Cartier Diabolo that I only use at home, because it is dear to me. I have other pens that I take everywhere.
It's funny, but I am so obsessive that I can boldly state that I have never lost a pen, ever. In fact, and I know I am cursing myself here, I can't remember when I lost anything. I simply don't loose things. I have though, had things stolen, but even with those, I know where they are. [huh]

Feraud

Bartender
Martinis at 8 said:
Hey! Former ear-pullee and face-slapee here too! lol
And a third. Although by the time I entered the Catholic school system, physical abuse as part of the curriculum had been abandoned and replaced by psychological warfare. Less physical scars you know..;)

Top Krone

mister7 said:
This is my nicest pen, it was given to me as a bonus for a house remodel I did.
KR_Spark_Moray_RB.jpg

It is so deluxe that I reserve its use for outings where I'll be wearing a suit. I think of it as jewelry. I write all the time at work, often on things that have to be pressed hard on to copy through to the paperwork underneath. So all my pens are rollerballs.
To me this is one of the most beautiful pens ever from Krone!

The hammered finish and the color over the metal is scintilating!

mister7

Familiar Face
I really love it! My one concern about it is the (epoxy?) resin that covers the hammered silver. I worry about it getting cloudy over the years, plus I'll certainly scratch it up a little in normal use. Only time will tell. I guess anything but a bare metal finish would have the same liabilities.

If I was among America's super-rich I would buy a Waterman Exception in solid gold. I dig the square shape!

mister7

Familiar Face
John, I hope so!

On the fantasy pen topic, another pen I really liked that is already out of production was the Omas 360 in titanium. The triangular shape is fabulous. That would be a great daily user! I like the patina that bare metal objects like that will take on over time.

I have a Canon camera with a titanium shell and my pocketknife has titanium bolsters, and they've both gotten a nice look as time has passed. Of course the camera gets a lot less of a beating than the knife.

Lou

One of the Regulars
I have several fountain pens, two inexpensive modern ones and a few antique ones. I usually carry one of the two modern ones and leave the antiques at home.

When I was new to good pens, I made the mistake of setting it down for a minute only to have somebody with a disposable pen frame of mind grab it (then "ask" if he could borrow it) and try to pull the screw-down cap off. I stopped him, told him it was an expensive fountain pen with a screw-down cap, and that he was welcome to use it carefully. He took a minute to check it out, then tried writing with it. It seemed to be going well, until he reverted to his Bic habits such as tapping the pen on the table. I enjoy exposing people to fountain pens, but not at the risk of mine getting beaten up. So I carry the less expensive ones and keep them in my shirt pocket when I'm not writing with them. There's another good point about nice pens: they're a great accent when peeking out of a shirt pocket.

DBLIII

One of the Regulars
Another fan of fountain pens here. I use a Conway Stewart big fat pen at work but don't carry it around much as I am sure I'd destroy it. My carrying pen is some alloy rollerball (I know, it's embarassing) that I think one could drive through plywood. At least I've not broken it yet.

Student Pens

In general, I rarely take my "good" pens out to work and in public as I fear theft, loss and damage. I have a fair number of inexpensive pens that perform really well that i am willing to bring to work and out in public. I reccomend these as starter pens to many people:

Lamy's Safari, All-star and Vista models are $30-40 & really nice writers.
Pilot's Knight ($45)
Rotring's Core ($10-20 on Ebay and the Nike Sneaker of fountain pens)
Some of the Esterbrooks that while vintage are easily replaced & cheaply.

If you look on ebay there are often inexpensive Pilot fountain pens that are usually delightful writers, but I'd steer clear of Japanese Extra Fine nibs, they are so fine that the nib may catch on paper that has texture. Also look at the Chinese Hero brand pens, they used to make Parker pens under license and have pretty good know-how. Some of the big names have some inexpensive, low end pens that are worthwhile.

For some of the readers the concept of a $30 pen seems an astronomical sum when compared to so many disposible pens. But a good fountain pen is a joy to use, you don't have to press hard to write, so it relieves writer's cramp. With the right nib it can make your writing more expressive. If you can use a converter or the pen is bottle fill type, the range of inks is immense and with some brands you can custom blend your own personal color. Fountain pens connect to a more graceful time.

I'd suggest to ask around family and friends if they have any old fountain pens tucked away in a desk or some storage place. (This was your grandfather's or this was Aunt Mabel's.) Often vintage pens can be fixed relatively inexpensively (compared to buying new) and provide a history laden writing experience.

Subvet642

A-List Customer
Hemingway Jones said:
I have a Cartier Diabolo that I only use at home, because it is dear to me. I have other pens that I take everywhere.
It's funny, but I am so obsessive that I can boldly state that I have never lost a pen, ever. In fact, and I know I am cursing myself here, I can't remember when I lost anything. I simply don't loose things. I have though, had things stolen, but even with those, I know where they are. [huh]

Most of my pens are fountain pens; about 36 or so. Mostly MB, Parker and Conklin, with a mix of pretty much everything, vintage and modern. I do have a Cartier Diablo ball pen that my in-laws gave to me as a gift. I tossed the ball point refill, and put in a Parker gel refill. It's the only ball pen I'll use voluntarily. My favorite pens are a MB Schiller LE and a Conklin Nozac Word Gauge LE in Blue/Red with silver trim. I no longer bring fountain pens to work because all of my paperwork is done electronically now and as a security officer, my job can get potentally physical, I'd hate to lose/break a nice pen. So at work, I'll use a cheap porous point. I think that they feel somewhat like a FP, and I don't have to sweat losing/breaking it.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Good plan, you have to cherish those nice pens.
I have a Conklin, Mark Twain in that wonderful amber color, but it is a false starter no matter what I do. Once it gets going, it's pure magic.

Subvet642

A-List Customer
Hemingway Jones said:
Good plan, you have to cherish those nice pens.
I have a Conklin, Mark Twain in that wonderful amber color, but it is a false starter no matter what I do. Once it gets going, it's pure magic.

What ink are you using? Sometimes, a thick ink, like Private Reserve, may not flow well. Or, maybe the feed has a tiny bit of release agent from the manufacturing process on it; this could cause it to hesitate. Try flushing it out with a very mild solution of white ammonia, and then water. DO NOT use scented ammonia. Likewise, you could try thiner inks like MB, it has a mild solvent to help it flow in those super tight MB feeds. BTW, you're right about Conklin nibs, they are so sweet!

jdelamar

New in Town
Fountain Pens

I try to use fountain pens as much as possible. I own a good mixture of new and old and various brands such as Aurora, Visconti, Parker, Sheaffer, Bexley, Cross, Eversharp, Waterman and many others. I really enjoy using all of them, especially the older models that I have either restored a little myself or sent out for repairs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner