The Penney's Marathon

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Bogie1943, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Tukwila

Tukwila Call Me a Cab

I would love to see what you can come up with! I have 2 Marathon hats and I'm guessing one is from the 50s and the other from the 40s. Great hats!

M Hatman likes this.
  2. Jerry Probst

Jerry Probst One of the Regulars

I'm working on it. We had a list of Company logos with the dates they were used. Had I realized I would want that information years later, I would have made a copy and kept it. I'm checking with a friend to see if she has one. I'll get back to you.

DOGMAN, M Hatman and Tukwila like this.
  3. Jerry Probst

I found this from a quick web search. These are JCPenney Company Logos from 1902-1971. Unfortunately it's a low quality reproduction and does not give dates. However, that being said, the logos are in chronological order. I will see if I can come up with a better resolution image and try to get some dates to accompany the logos.

If memory serves correctly, the shift from using the name J.C. Penney to just using Penney's happened sometime in the 1950s.

get jc-penneys-logos-through-1971 (1).jpg

4. Jerry Probst

I have a 1963 JCPenney Catalog. This was the first year the company issued a catalog. Men's hat were shown on several pages as accessories to coats and outerwear. There were two pages devoted to Men's hats: one showed fur felt hats the other showed various caps and winter wear.

I snapped a shot of the catalog page as well as close ups of the individual hats and descriptions.

I also have a 1966 Penney's Fall/Winter catalog. By that time, the company had discontinued fur felt hats and sold only caps for rain and winter wear. The vast majority of male models in the catalog were bare headed by 1966.

I seem to remember reading that the Lee Hat Company had a fire sometime in the early 1960s. I wonder of the fire combined with declining hat sales hastened the Company's decision to discontinue the Marathon line of Fur Felt Hats.

Jerry IMG_9679.jpg IMG_9683.jpg IMG_9684.jpg IMG_9685.jpg IMG_9682.jpg IMG_9681.jpg IMG_9680.jpg

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    DOGMAN, Just Daniel, steur and 5 others like this.
  5. steur

steur

This one was posted by @M Hatman earlier and I'm very pleased it's now part of my collection. The quality of this one is substantially better than my other Marathon and this one I wouldn't qualify as a workhorse kind of hat.
    Bound brim at 6,7cm and crown 10,5cm at the center dent. I'll wear it without the feather (don't know if that was original to the hat). I'm thinking fifties. My thanks again to Mark for trading this with me.
    penney_01.jpg penney_02.jpg penney_03.jpg penney_04.jpg penney_06.jpg penney_07.jpg penney_08.jpg penney_09.jpg penney_10.jpg penney_11.jpg

6. Tukwila

Tukwila Call Me a Cab

That's a beaut! Really nice. 50s is my guess, too.

carter, steur and M Hatman like this.
  7. steur

steur

Thanks, Doug. This one ticks all the boxes alright.

M Hatman and Tukwila like this.
  8. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

Brown longer haired fedora.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    M[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It’s in wonderful condition and I really like the longer haired finishes. The felt is easily dry creased and holds its shape well. The sweatband is in good condition too. 5 1/2 inch open crown and 2 1/4 inch brim.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  9. Love it.....THAT one I WOULD change out the ribbon....
    I have a soft spot for that type of hat.....

DOGMAN and deadlyhandsome like this.
  10. Tukwila

Tukwila Call Me a Cab

Nice one, Brent.

11. steur

steur

Very nice, Brent. On a shorter brim that cord would make it look like a Trachten hat, but the wider brim and full crown can handle it. Lovely.

Tukwila likes this.
  12. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Picked up off the Bay. J. C. Penney Marathon. 5 3/4" OC, 2 5/8" brim, 1 1/2" ribbon. Very nice felt. The photos from the auction looked worse than what showed up at the door. I cleaned up a vedigris stain on the underside, which turned out fairly successful. I have steamed this one out, but haven't finished shaping it yet.

Tan Marathon 6.jpg Tan Marathon 5.jpg Tan Marathon 4.jpg Tan Marathon 3.jpg Tan Marathon 2.jpg Tan Marathon 1.jpg

13. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Winner, winner. Great snag. Like the color combo.

Frunobulax likes this.
  14. steur

steur

Very nice, Jim. There can be quite a bit of difference between these marathons in my (limited) experience.

Tukwila and Frunobulax like this.
  15. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Thanks. It looks even better in person.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Bamaboots likes this.
  16. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

I only own two. Both are very, very nice.

Tukwila likes this.
  17. Miamibruno

Miamibruno Practically Family

She's a beauty, Jim.

Frunobulax likes this.
  18. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Thanks, Adrian.