Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Penney's Marathon

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
IMG_3721.jpg

IMG_3723.jpg

IMG_3726-1.jpg

Sam Craig

One Too Many
working man's whippet

I have two Marathons, the older of which is clearly influenced by the popular Stetson Whippet line.

While the felt is not quite as soft as a Whippet, it's still good and the hats are made strong.

They both seem to have real leather sweats, and the newer of the two has a snazy pleated hat ribbon.

The liners of both mine are pleated and over all they are good, servicable hats.

The sort of thing Penneys made its reputation on.

Too bad they ever quit making them.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Tooch!

That's my Marathon!

I round that exact hat a few months ago in brand new condition, same color exactly!

Isn't the pleated ribbon the greatest?

Mine still has the paper tag at the front of the sweat, too!

These were terrific hats.

My older one has the nice, broad brim binding, too.

Tooch

One of the Regulars
Tooch!

That's my Marathon!

It's an awesome hat. I love the proportions -- there's something about that 2 3/8-inch brim that seems to hit a sweet spot for me. The color is great, too. And I have no complaints about the construction or materials.

I'm pleased all around. It's hard to believe this was a budget item in its day.

mmlane65

New in Town
Hello Tooch.Hat looks great on you!You just purchased this from me on Ebay.I'm new to the lounge so I'm glad to see it went to another hat enthusiast. Mike Lane

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I've got two of these beauts and the more I wear them, the more I like em

I keep the newer for dress, because I believe it was brand new when I found it.

The older one, which is a little more whippet-like, I enjoy wearing a lot

They really made them well, too

Tooch

One of the Regulars
Hello Tooch.Hat looks great on you!You just purchased this from me on Ebay.I'm new to the lounge so I'm glad to see it went to another hat enthusiast. Mike Lane

Hey, we hat enthusiasts have to stick together!

Many thanks!

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Penneys catalog change

Imagine, getting the old black-and-white JCP catalog in the mail and being able to open it up to the Marathon page, then sending off a few bucks and getting back something like this in the mail!

No wonder the folks in River City, Iowa sang when the Wells Fargo freight wagon showed up!;)

Spats McGee

One Too Many
mmlane65 said:
Well, welcome to the Lounge, Mike!

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hello,

I have a Penney's Marathon hat with a liner, and other details, different to those shown so far.

Here you have some pics:

DSC00754b.jpg

In the liner ,below the "MARATHON HATS" legend, although hard to see, it reads "JC PENNEY'S CO."

DSC00746b.jpg

DSC00747b.jpg

DSC00748b.jpg

DSC00751b.jpg

Any reference about this? How would you date this hat?

Regards!

Last edited:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Here is mine...still needs a little work but getting there.
a32e3a05.jpg

This is pretty close to mine, except for the wind trolley; bought it when I was about 17 at a thrift store (likely paid about $5). It was my first dress hat, and I still wear it at times. By the way, did we ever determine when the production of Marathons ended? I tend to think no earlier than the early '60s, based on a photo of a stingy brim that's on this thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points