Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Penney's Marathon

tommyK

One Too Many
This is my Marathon, and the ribbon is unique- the gray in the ribbon match the felt.. I haven't seen another two tone Marathon ribbon, doesn't mean they are not out there but I just haven't seen any.

Anyone got a guess on age ?

2i9qlfs.jpg

34dint4.jpg

23st0uh.jpg

mszqxj.jpg

Beautiful! i wonder if that ribbon is a custom job or if it was an option at some point

Landman

One Too Many
Those are two beautiful hats!

Tommy the stamp on the back of your sweatband is the Brotherhood of Leather Cutters, a union and not Lee Hats. However, Lee did make the Marathons.

tommyK

One Too Many
Those are two beautiful hats!

Tommy the stamp on the back of your sweatband is the Brotherhood of Leather Cutters, a union and not Lee Hats. However, Lee did make the Marathons.

Thank You for the info, I knew the Lee connection but now the LBC initials makes more sense. The leather on this sweatband is pretty good but needs a new reed or wire in it. Not sure if I want to try to tackle that or leave well enough alone.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
The seller told me as far as he knew the hat was as made....

My searching skills aren't good enough to find out if Marathon ever made two tone ribbons.......

buler

I'll Lock Up
Here is a Marathon Supreme Quality open road in black. Very nice quality hat. Pleated liner, quality workmanship, great hand to the felt.

B

attachment.php

Click on thumbnails for larger pics:

marthon_2.jpg

marthon_1.jpg

marthon_6.jpg

marthon_3.jpg

marthon_4.jpg

marthon_5.jpg

Mystic

Practically Family
Here is a Marathon Supreme Quality open road in black. Very nice quality hat. Pleated liner, quality workmanship, great hand to the felt.

B

Very nice thin ribbon Marathon, Buler. The Supreme Quality Marathons are very nice hats indeed. I have one in taupe with a mid-ribbon.

Nice find :thumb:

buler

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, guys. It's a really nice hat. I've had it quite a while but thought I'd document it before selling. It will be off to a fellow lounger today.

B

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Longplay, that seller (who I think is a member here) is well known for his very high prices.

He has been known to accept lower offers, so contact him through eBay if you like the hat.

It is a nice Marathon, if I was buying one, I wouldn't pay more than about $150 for that size. There are always a ton of size 7 hats around. If you want a Whippet type hat, you can find the real Stetson version for less than he's asking.

Last edited:

Longplay

Familiar Face
Longplay, that seller (who I think is a member here) is well known for his very high prices.

He has been known to accept lower offers, so contact him through eBay if you like the hat.

It is a nice Marathon, if I was buying one, I wouldn't pay more than about $150 for that size. There are always a ton of size 7 hats around. If you want a Whippet type hat, you can find the real Stetson version for less than he's asking.

Thanks, DJH. That helps a lot.

I really like the bound edge of the original Whippet but I've come to believe that wide brims don't look good on me. This Marathon, as does my bound-brim Adam, have 2.5" brims and shorter crowns, which suit me better. Still, that agree that price is a bit to high, which is why I asked.

GregNYC

One Too Many
David, I agree! I've bought from him, and the hat was just as advertised. And expensive too!!! I don't know his FL name though.....

Miamibruno

One Too Many
Gents,

I have a Marathon "Medallion", which I have not heard of before. The brief liner and the cloth ribbon and brim binding are new to me as well. Any knowledge of the "Medallion" or hats with these particulars? Any help appreciated.

IMG_9363.JPG

IMG_9364.JPG

IMG_9365.JPG

IMG_9366.JPG

IMG_9368.JPG

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
great thread !!

here is my 30's or possibly very early 40's Marathon/JC Penney extra quality

absolutely love this hat... very soft and pliable , superbly made with wonderful materials , and very comfortable

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0317.jpg

Marathon_1.jpg

marathon_2.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members