Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Perfect proportioned fedora?

Hi Kind Folks.

What dimensions/proportions would of been considered the perfect proportions for a fedora in say, 1930,1940,1950.

Would a 6ins crown and 3.1/4 brim with a 2 in ribbon be perfect?

Did the dimensions change each decade?

What would your ideal fedora from 1930 measure, crown,brim, ribbon, etc.

I am in search for the best proportioned fedora from 1930,40, 50

TIA

Best regards
CCJ

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
That primer is an excellent source, and the main message it will tell is that you cannot combine the styles of the three decades in one hat. Akubra's Federation IV, for example, would work as a 30's and early (perhaps even late for some manufacturers) 40's hat, but it would not do as a 1950's hat.

Of course, you can easily have someone wear the same hat from 1930's all the way until they leave this life (and even pass it on to their son), so these categorizations aren't perfect.

earl

A-List Customer
Personal preference leads me to believe they had it right in the 40s with bigger brims and crowns.
That's certainly my preference. In fact my 2 fedora hat collection is comprised in half:D of a 1940's Lee fedora. The other half by a contemporary with the same basic dimensions. Earl

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner