Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Pinup Thread

Grant Fan

Practically Family
First off let me just say that I am impressed at how beautiful all of the ladies on here are. Now I have done a pin up shoot and it was fantastic. I did a calender for my boyfriend, he is in the Navy and it seemed fitting with my love of vintage and his line of work. I live in the Baltimore area and I went to Atomic Cheesecake studios. Her web site is http://www.atomiccheesecakestudios.com/ Stacey wasn't cheep but I didn't think she was to expensive either especially not considering how wonderful her work is. You should go check her out. My pictures are on her site along with a lot more. Stacey Barich comes highly recomened. She is so fabulous and it looks like I'm not the only lady on here who has had the pleasure of working with her. Here are my pictures(I took out my two least favorite so that I would reach the limit.
PS the clothes in June, October, and December are mine.
January
January.jpg

February
Feburary.jpg

March(one of my favorites)
September.jpg

May
March.jpg

June
June.jpg

July(got to love the flag)
July.jpg

August(another of my faves)
August.jpg

October
November.jpg

November
April.jpg

December (this one is so very me)
December.jpg

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Kitty_Sheridan said:
I bet he loved it! Eat yoyr heart out Rita Haworth!!

Well done...

K:eusa_clap

Kitty_Sheridan, Thanks so much, Rita is my idol I am not even going to lie she was so fabulous and I try very hard to look like her.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Grant Fan - those are lovely pin-up pictures, but can I please give you one comment. Using the U.S. flag as draping (this includes over yourself or furniture) or using it as clothing is considered disrespectful of the flag. It is also disrepectful to let it touch the ground. It always bothers me when I see patriotic pin-up pictures in which bodies are draped with the flag. It kind of defeats the purpose of making a patriotic picture, IMHO. Please don't think I'm trying to be mean or nasty. Ultimately it is your choice to do what you want. I just wanted to give you something to consider.

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Thats baloney!

Her other half is a serviceman and I don't recall anyone saying that to Vargas or the other classic pin up artists whose work inspired the fighting men of WW2. It made them remember what they were fighting for!

miss_elise

Practically Family
i imagine, although technically you shouldn't wear the flag or drape the flag under the Flag Code, in this case, for private viewing, it's probably okay or at least so common as unlike to be either prosecuted or commented upon.

Spaugs

New in Town
I don't think anyone in the military would complain about her using the flag like that. I'm sure they wouldn't mind ripping it off her either!

Did you give the calendar to your sailor?

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Just to state the other view, my husband is a veteran and he gets very bothered when he sees the U.S. flag not being treated with the guidelines outlined in the flag code. To him, it's a symbol of millions of peoples sacrifice and it should be treated with due respect. But to each his own. I don't want to start an argument or make nasty comments, I just want to state another opinion for folks to think about. We're all adults and can do what we want. The freedom to do so is also what the flag represents. :)

Someone mentioned Vargas and other classic pin-up artists using the flag as clothing and as a drape. That made me curious, I went through my big book of Vargas pin-ups that has an entire section of his patriotic work and I did not see one picture in which the flag was used as clothing or a drape. There were plenty of red, white and blue outfits, but no flags. Just from memory, I don't think I've ever seen a classic pin-up picture in which this is the case. Does anyone know of any examples they can point out? Every pin-up that I've seen with a draped flag has been modern. I'm curious now as to whether this is true or not.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Kitty Sheridan ,Laura Chase , Miss Ellise Thanks so much for the compliments, you are so nice

Spauge: Thanks too, and yes I have sent the pictures to my Paul and he loves them. I am bringing the calender to him when I go to Japan for the holidays. He has promised to guard it with his life and said people will only see the pictures if I am ok with the pictures seeing the pictures. Which I totally am, I am covered and really I am wearing at least as much and really alot more than a swim suite.

BeBopBaby: I did these pictures for moral boosting, really the same reason people like Vargas made their girls. Just to remind him what is waiting back home for him, so he won't forget part of what he is fighting for. As for respecting the flag please don't think that I don't respect the flag I am actually a Daughter of the American Revolution. I have a huge amount of respect for the flag but I felt that this was a different situation. I totally respect what you think and didn't want to start anything with my post. I am sorry if I did. Oh and this is just because you said you were wondering about classic pinups with the flag used as clothes (this is so not to start anything please don't think that). This is more World War 1 not WW2 here it is
05.jpg

miss_elise

Practically Family
ah, small trap there as the flag code wasn't invented until 1923...but I think you look beautiful any way...and considering they make bikinis out of my national flag I'm really not that fussed about it...

Grant Fan

Practically Family
miss_elise said:
ah, small trap there as the flag code wasn't invented until 1923...but I think you look beautiful any way...and considering they make bikinis out of my national flag I'm really not that fussed about it...

Thanks for the complement. Oh I didn't know that about the flag code... good to know thanks but we are a bit :eek:fftopic:

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
I liked the photos....
They are artistic and I don't think they were meant to be serious.
I think they were done with pride in mind...YOU GO, GIRL!!!
She's not riding a missile, like Jane Fonda ...now that was class. :X My dad (Nam Vet) still loved her in Barbarella, reguardless...LOL

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Lareesie Ladavi said:
I liked the photos....
They are artistic and I don't think they were meant to be serious.
I think they were done with pride in mind...YOU GO, GIRL!!!
She's not riding a missile, like Jane Fonda ...now that was class. :X My dad (Nam Vet) still loved her in Barbarella, reguardless...LOL

Gosh, the picture of Jane Fonda straddling a Vietcong tank? I had forgotten about that. That was the biggest faux-pas of all time! The lady has guts, though, you've got to give that to her! lol
The connection between pin-ups and patriotism goes way back, doesn't it? The topless Marianne of the French Revolution springs to mind. It would be interesting to see more examples.

liberty.jpg

Lovely photos as usual, everybody! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner